Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 126

Thread: Playing Thru Injury ( Watson Done For Year )

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Seattle
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    We aren’t even on a need to know basis— this is a want to know situation. His medical provider(s) have reputations and licenses that they could lose if they don’t do the right thing with Anton, so we should probably assume that this is being handled well. Similarly, the staff could face heat if this is handled improperly. I suspect that up to this point doing a surgery now would put him on the shelf for the rest of the year with little gain from doing it now (versus the offseason). He most likely wants to try to play this season. He looked pretty good the game before being blasted in the shoulder. This new injury could change everything but he was showing signs of improvement.
    Brilliant. Can't believe how certain posters assume coaches, players, medical treatment providers, the University admins, etc. have no clue, are operating in bad faith, have no concern for player's best interests, etc. Instead, they get indignant that others aren't as cynical and don't accept their anonymous speculation as to what's best in this situation based on no first-hand knowledge as to the facts and circumstances (other than what all of have read, namely, the AW's got a shoulder subluxation issue).

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I can't do that....it is a secret....You don't have a need to know....
    Good... at least you understood that part.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    I think any and all criticism of Few in the Watson case is pure ignorance! If instead of his shoulder this was an ankle sprain NOBODY would be questioning his playing because ankle sprains are so common in basketball and almost never career threatening....Watson's shoulder may be nothing more than an "ankle sprain" of the shoulder and the it is possible the doctor's have assured all that there is no long term, career threatening problems here.
    Bottom line is that WE do not know enough of the facts about the situation to criticize anyone!!
    Exactly. If Anton feels he is healthy enough to play, then he is going to play. Let us not forget Steve Nash; he played through pain numerous times near the end of his career until his body finally had had enough.
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Exactly. If Anton feels he is healthy enough to play, then he is going to play. Let us not forget Steve Nash; he played through pain numerous times near the end of his career until his body finally had had enough.
    I think what everyone here is trying to communicate is that they hope Anton is getting the very best medical advice possible. Gonzaga's medical providers are excellent. No question there. That being said, Anton is quite possibly two years away from being in the NBA. I think what a lot of people here are saying is that it's prudent for his camp to get second and third opinions as well, including from his own medical team. We can only assume that has/has not happened. No one has the inside scoop. People with the inside scoop need to be cognizant of HIPPA and other laws. Tread carefully. That being said, we all want the best for Mr. Watson and his health.

    Playing through an injury where your shoulder seems to constantly pop out seems somewhat unusual. Sort of like what happened with Tillie and his knee. And then with Tillie he had a pre-season surgery on his knee that seemed like somewhat unusual timing (why not have it done immediately after March Madness 2019, rather than in October of 2019). You don't see this sort of thing happening in the NBA. So concerns from posters about what's being done are justified in my opinion.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    I think what everyone here is trying to communicate is that they hope Anton is getting the very best medical advice possible. Gonzaga's medical providers are excellent. No question there. That being said, Anton is quite possibly two years away from being in the NBA. I think what a lot of people here are saying is that it's prudent for his camp to get second and third opinions as well, including from his own medical team. We can only assume that has/has not happened. No one has the inside scoop. People with the inside scoop need to be cognizant of HIPPA and other laws. Tread carefully. That being said, we all want the best for Mr. Watson and his health.

    Playing through an injury where your shoulder seems to constantly pop out seems somewhat unusual. Sort of like what happened with Tillie and his knee. And then with Tillie he had a pre-season surgery on his knee that seemed like somewhat unusual timing (why not have it done immediately after March Madness 2019, rather than in October of 2019). You don't see this sort of thing happening in the NBA. So concerns from posters about what's being done are justified in my opinion.
    100% agree

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,891

    Default

    Gonna give everyone a news flash... when it comes to stuff like this... we mods/admins know as much as you do. The coaching staff and school keep their cards very close to their chests. Here is another news flash... the coaching staff doesn't read this board... I know... shocker... so complaining here and demanding answers here is kind of a waste of energy.

    All that being said... I suspect the school/coaching staff isn't going to do anything that would jeopardize the student athlete. Anton being a local kid, I highly suspect his parents are 100% fully in the loop. So... if people on here are thinking/implying that somehow that Few/GU are doing things that aren't in Anton's best interest, it comes off a bit conspiracy theory-ish.

    Ask yourself this basic question... when has GU EVER not put the student's interests ahead of their own?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,543

    Default This was posted in another thread

    Thought it was more applicable here.

    Per Meehan

    Gonzaga considering options with Anton Watson’s recurring shoulder issues

    Watson tumbled into the padded stanchion that supports the rim and backboard and knew immediately his left shoulder had popped out of place again.

    It’s the second time it’s happened since he started wearing a shoulder brace. The Zags are considering options with Watson having endured subluxations in four games: Texas A&M, Arizona (multiple subluxations), Portland and LMU.

    Edit to add: see Reno posted earlier yet given the replies afterward, requesting a press release, seemed no one noticed.

    Worthy of a repost imo

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Liberty Lake
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    ig·​no·​rance | \ ˈig-n(ə-)rən(t)s \
    Definition of ignorance
    : the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness

    I mean, wasn't the point of this thread supposed to provide some knowledge, education, and/or awareness as to what the thinking with Watson is? Especially since my original post there was ANOTHER subluxation that occurred over the weekend.

    And I don't mean people sneaking into his doctor's office and uploading his medical charts!
    After reading this, I have an idea: We start referring to this whole matter of Anton's shoulder as ... WATSONGATE.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    After reading this, I have an idea: We start referring to this whole matter of Anton's shoulder as ... WATSONGATE.
    Prefer "Shouldergate"

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Prefer "Shouldergate"
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    After reading this, I have an idea: We start referring to this whole matter of Anton's shoulder as ... WATSONGATE.
    Sorry Provee... think shouldergate has a better ring to it... but liked yours as well.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Liberty Lake
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Sorry Provee... think shouldergate has a better ring to it... but liked yours as well.
    Yep, have to agree. I was playing off "water" to "watty". Oh, there it is! "Watty-gate"
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    Yep, have to agree. I was playing off "water" to "watty". Oh, there it is! "Watty-gate"
    Dang! think you nailed it with that one.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Gonna give everyone a news flash... when it comes to stuff like this... we mods/admins know as much as you do. The coaching staff and school keep their cards very close to their chests. Here is another news flash... the coaching staff doesn't read this board... I know... shocker... so complaining here and demanding answers here is kind of a waste of energy.

    All that being said... I suspect the school/coaching staff isn't going to do anything that would jeopardize the student athlete. Anton being a local kid, I highly suspect his parents are 100% fully in the loop. So... if people on here are thinking/implying that somehow that Few/GU are doing things that aren't in Anton's best interest, it comes off a bit conspiracy theory-ish.

    Ask yourself this basic question... when has GU EVER not put the student's interests ahead of their own?
    Agree. Silly to think that the program isn't doing the right thing (as they have demonstrated over the course of 20+ years).

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Dang! think you nailed it with that one.
    ++1!

    Watty-gate. Us old farts like it!


    No Woodward & Bernstein. Do you think Meehan & Blanchette can rise to the occasion?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,768

    Default

    Just think of it this way. The coaches, administration, and doctors are not going to take any chances with his career at GU or after GU. They want to have him for 2 or 3 years more. If he needs surgery, but can do it after the season and be ready for next year, then that is what they would do. If he needed to have it done now, to be ready for next year, then that is what they would be doing. So my guess is that they are investigating the options and we will know soon.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Dang! think you nailed it with that one.
    You’re using my Watty now?

  17. #67
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    You’re using my Watty now?
    Jazz you are definitely creative with the names! Kind of like turning a black & white TV into a color one! Same thing just a little better.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Gonna give everyone a news flash... when it comes to stuff like this... we mods/admins know as much as you do. The coaching staff and school keep their cards very close to their chests. Here is another news flash... the coaching staff doesn't read this board... I know... shocker... so complaining here and demanding answers here is kind of a waste of energy.

    All that being said... I suspect the school/coaching staff isn't going to do anything that would jeopardize the student athlete. Anton being a local kid, I highly suspect his parents are 100% fully in the loop. So... if people on here are thinking/implying that somehow that Few/GU are doing things that aren't in Anton's best interest, it comes off a bit conspiracy theory-ish.

    Ask yourself this basic question... when has GU EVER not put the student's interests ahead of their own?
    One of the athletic trainers who we know well (not a BB trainer) told me the coaches advise the athletes and their families to AVOID this board. I'm sure some check in but the coaches don't want them to read or believe some of the negative posts and speculative posts on here.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    You’re using my Watty now?
    You can have the royalties Jazz
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy
    Posts
    3,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    Agree 110%

    As others have pointed out and as many of us know, there aren't always easy, simple answers to health/injury issues. PT vs. surgery? Rest vs. pain management? I have no doubt coach and Anton are making what they think are the right/best decisions in light of the available information, but again sometimes what is the "right" course is a judgment call and may never be entirely clear, even after the fact.
    Another Thank You
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    ig·​no·​rance | \ ˈig-n(ə-)rən(t)s \
    Definition of ignorance
    : the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness

    I mean, wasn't the point of this thread supposed to provide some knowledge, education, and/or awareness as to what the thinking with Watson is? Especially since my original post there was ANOTHER subluxation that occurred over the weekend.

    And I don't mean people sneaking into his doctor's office and uploading his medical charts!
    You proved my point exactly..to criticize Few in this case while having "lack of knowledge" of the situation is silly.
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,208

    Default

    Mummmmmmmmm HIPPAAAAAAA . Game over!

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    2,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Gonna give everyone a news flash... when it comes to stuff like this... we mods/admins know as much as you do. The coaching staff and school keep their cards very close to their chests. Here is another news flash... the coaching staff doesn't read this board... I know... shocker... so complaining here and demanding answers here is kind of a waste of energy.

    All that being said... I suspect the school/coaching staff isn't going to do anything that would jeopardize the student athlete. Anton being a local kid, I highly suspect his parents are 100% fully in the loop. So... if people on here are thinking/implying that somehow that Few/GU are doing things that aren't in Anton's best interest, it comes off a bit conspiracy theory-ish.

    Ask yourself this basic question... when has GU EVER not put the student's interests ahead of their own?
    Well said LIZF. Guess my only question given above, and I’m sure the HIPAA police won’t like this, is why wouldn’t the Athletic Department or Coach Few simply publicly state something along lines of: “Medical professionals have recommended offseason surgery/rehab (whatever the case may be) and assured Anton incurs no greater risk of more serious injury to the shoulder by playing through the discomfort this season than any other player taking the court does. The repeated subluxations are not causing further damage nor do they increase the likelihood of further injury.”

    Is that kind of transparency really any different then “Killian had a minor surgical procedure to clear his knee up and we hope to have him back soon”.

    I agree with both LIZF’s comment above and CB4’s following comment...am I allowed to agree with both?

    Playing through an injury where your shoulder seems to constantly pop out seems somewhat unusual. Sort of like what happened with Tillie and his knee. And then with Tillie he had a pre-season surgery on his knee that seemed like somewhat unusual timing (why not have it done immediately after March Madness 2019, rather than in October of 2019). You don't see this sort of thing happening in the NBA. So concerns from posters about what's being done are justified in my opinion.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    I think what everyone here is trying to communicate is that they hope Anton is getting the very best medical advice possible. Gonzaga's medical providers are excellent. No question there. That being said, Anton is quite possibly two years away from being in the NBA. I think what a lot of people here are saying is that it's prudent for his camp to get second and third opinions as well, including from his own medical team. We can only assume that has/has not happened. No one has the inside scoop. People with the inside scoop need to be cognizant of HIPPA and other laws. Tread carefully. That being said, we all want the best for Mr. Watson and his health.

    Playing through an injury where your shoulder seems to constantly pop out seems somewhat unusual. Sort of like what happened with Tillie and his knee. And then with Tillie he had a pre-season surgery on his knee that seemed like somewhat unusual timing (why not have it done immediately after March Madness 2019, rather than in October of 2019). You don't see this sort of thing happening in the NBA. So concerns from posters about what's being done are justified in my opinion.
    The one thing that has always been consistent on this board and the predecessor boards over the last 20 years is that when someone like CB4 or a few select other posters mention the word HIPPA it is confirmation to me that Watson is going to wind up taking a medical redshirt this year.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    The one thing that has always been consistent on this board and the predecessor boards over the last 20 years is that when someone like CB4 or a few select other posters mention the word HIPPA it is confirmation to me that Watson is going to wind up taking a medical redshirt this year.
    Is that even an option at this point?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •