Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ravet no longer on roster

I read it as a transfer as well. And the fact that he scrubbed his Twitter bio.

wish him the best

Maybe. He didn’t play vs Sparta I believe. Probably a wise move to drop down a few rungs

I strongly suspect he is transferring to another school.

- I think it is a reasonable, inference, opinion, that brock might be thinking of transferring.
    - that said, I hope not. I hope whatever has him stepping away from playing right now will work out the best for him.

- second separate fan opinion is yipes! we are one deep at the guard position.
    - Richard fox on t.v. just said defenses will trying to wear down gilder and woolridge, get them into fouls and tire out.
    - my comment on the pre game, what do you want to see each game is going to be no injuries at the guard position.

- it is too late to get a transfer, eligible at semester break?

I would personally say I'd be stunned if the reasons were Basketball reasons, but I find that he scrubbed his twitter bio stuff telling. If it's something personal, then by all means you hope he and his family are going to be OK. If it's basketball; he was absolutely going to play minutes because he'd be the 4th guard and at times the 3rd guard because of his shooting and ballhandling ability. I'd be stunned if lack of projected playing time is the reason, this kid is a gym rat that would work his way into rotation.

I feel somewhat irresponsible speculating, so I would just say two very general things.

If a person were transferring, it would seem that the announcement would be that the person is transferring for personal reasons and not an "indefinite leave" from the program.

The other general thing is that whatever it might be, it is not a normal situation, and thus it is best to just wish him the absolute best and leave it at that with respect to Brock.

With respect to the guard spot, someone is going to have to play a 2 guard spot as a very big guy (Kispert/Watson?), and it would seem to me that we best practice a lot of zone, to keep people out of foul trouble and cut down on chasing guys all over hell and back.

But that's just me and I'm not BB guy.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Whatever it is I hope the best for him.

As I'm from Central Washington myself, and live not too far from Kittitas, I am really shocked and sadened by this news. I hope for only the best for one of Central Washington's best players ever. I was so happy when he decided to play for the Zags. Whatever happens I wish only the best for him. Some fans may not know it, but sometimes ballplayers do have personal problems that have nothing to do with basketball skill, and these problems can affect a player. I have not changed my opinion of his basketball skill, and he decides to play elsewhere I support him all the way and will follow him.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

good luck to Brock....hope he gets back here but no matter what, hope everything works out okay....

agreed, reading what we all did about Brock that this is his dream to play at GU and if this is purely basketball reasons, there is nothing to gain by transferring at this moment, because theyre into the 1st semester, you would stay to finish out school anyway. Now if someone wanted to preserve 4 full years of eligibility, OK then dont play any games fall semester.

I hope his family makes it through things well and he can get through this time and can get back to working at and loving what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    This. No reason to remove Gonzaga for any other reason.

Could be wrong, but this seems the most likely scenario. I thought we were thin before. We are very thin now. This changes the way you can play defense, and will have a material impact on the team, regardless of your thoughts on his contributions this year.

It's not "scrubbed." Nearly all the tweets are Gonzaga related. His picture has been removed as well as his profile.

It's my opinion that Brock has experienced a tragedy with someone very close to him and is taking time away from the program for those personal reasons. A twitter bio color change just doesn't seem like an indication of transferring. I would be very surprised if this was in any way basketball related. I truly hope that whatever it is things will be ok for him and his family. Basketball is just a game.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Whatever the case, wish him the best (personally and professionally). I may be biased, but I think he looks best in GU colors.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    I doubt it, most guys dont take a leave of absence just to transfer, usually they just transfer. I will bug my source about this, but my speculation is he had a family tragedy related issue (which is usually what these are) and I pray everything works itself out for him.

Look for him to land at Eastern Washington.

Does "indefinite leave" include academics?
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Does "indefinite leave" include academics?
    Yes, Non-student athletes can be granted similar privileges.

"basketballzag"is a knowledgeable source of inside info. When he suggests a transfer and the player has scrubbed his twitter bio of reference to GU basketball, the simplest and most likely explanation is shopping or planning on a transfer.

Maybe Brock just preferred to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond or maybe he and the staff realized he wasn't big or athletic enough to defend at the high-D1 level.

As it was, the writing was on the wall for him to be a backup behind bigger/faster/stronger PGs, and maybe he realized (a little late?) that he didn't want that.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    It's my opinion that Brock has experienced a tragedy with someone very close to him and is taking time away from the program for those personal reasons. Basketball is just a game.
    I think that's what happened too. If Brock was planning on transferring, he would not pull this stunt on the night of the first Zag game. A relative could have passed away, or any number of things could have happened in his personal life. If Caldwell from the Whelping Box has any info, I'm sure he will let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I think that's what happened too. If Brock was planning on transferring, he would not pull this stunt on the night of the first Zag game. A relative could have passed away, or any number of things could have happened in his personal life. If Caldwell from the Whelping Box has any info, I'm sure he will let us know.
    Why remove all things Gonzaga on your Twitter if this was the explanation?

I'll qualify this post by declaring that I have no insider information and that I am openly speculating.

Brock is a four year player. He probably isn't a freshman starter. There are two other point guards on the team with much more experience against a higher level of competition. Further, the future looks very bright with respect to point guard recruits in 2020 and beyond. Having said that, Brock is very capable of earning a significant, meaningful role, but it probably won't come quickly.

It isn't hard to add it all up. Especially if Brock came in with a different perception than how reality is actually playing out.

I have to ask why it is difficult to come clean on this. Speculation will thrive otherwise. For the most part, the fan base would be very sympathetic to almost any reasonable explanation. Even if due to playing time or role on the team. It isn't our first rodeo on this subject. We collectively understand that "fit" is a two way street for both the player and the team. We generally wish the best for any given player and support their right to determine their own life changing decisions.
    Last edited by MickMick; 11-02-2019 at 06:43 AM.
    I miss Mike Hart

We do have some superior guards coming next year. I thought Brock would fit in well as a shooter. Great kid and family. I'm sure things will work out for the best. Best thing seems to happen even when we don't understand .