Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: @ Portland: Post-Game Comments, Observations, and Media

Default @ Portland: Post-Game Comments, Observations, and Media

STATS: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=285307

Tale of two halves. Defensive intensity seemed better in the second stanza. Five Zags in double figures, led by Mr. Tillie's 22.

Wooly with another solid effort: 15 / 7 / 2 / ZERO TO's

Joel with 13 / 6 / 4

How did you see it ?
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-03-2020 at 05:00 AM.

Zags with 4 turn overs for the game. I believe none in the 2nd half according to fox sports

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tillie encouraging. Watson not so much.

Frustrating part is you can see Watson’s tremendous potential but he is playing tentatively to the point of non existent. The block he made in the first half was tremendous. Next scene? Dangling arm.

Showed some toughness. FTs are a real problem. Watson needs to be the player we know he can be, he seems to lack confidence and appears to be overthinking when hes on the floor.
    America's Team!

Default Watson's Toughness

Would rather see Pavel get Watson's minutes. Anton is a game and gritty wounded warrior but he's a long way from being an asset.

Shut him down and get that shoulder fixed and ready for next season.

- start with the aforementioned, dangling arm. Watson on a few possessions playing with one arm. not good. I'd rather have a healthy 100% Watson come tourney time than a 70% free throw shooting team.

- shot terrible at the line (assuming we made 70%) that cost us 5 points
    - had we shot our team average in 3's, we'd of made 2 more baskets, cost us 6 points.
    - had we made all 6 bunnies from 1 foot or closer, that cost us 12 points.

- I think I'd be please if for the year wooly shoots a better percentage from 3 than he does from the free throw line. I think that would be a net positive.

- just win baby, go zags.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Would rather see Pavel get Watson's minutes. Anton is a game and gritty wounded warrior but he's a long way from being an asset.

Very out of character how we’re handling his injury. I thought he would’ve applied for a redshirt after the second time he aggravated it.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Very out of character how we’re handling his injury. I thought he would’ve applied for a redshirt after the second time he aggravated it.
    By my count, based on Coach's interviews, and Anton's as well tonight marks his 5th dislocation this season -- partial or otherwise.

Default Re: the broadcasters

I thought Dan Belluomini really did his homework re: the new faces on the Zags. He was highlighting the newcomers, developing the back stories, and making an effort to tell viewers about the current edition of the Zags without belaboring the usual storylines we've heard from some of the ESPN talking heads. Coach B is one of the better color analysts out there. He and Tompkins have worked hundreds of games together and they are light years ahead of Greg, Dan, and Richard.

It's a shame the Zags streaming video issues persist. Nearly as bad is the bush league quality of the KHQ / Root Sports announcing crew TV viewers are forced to endure.

Heister needs to cut the chit-chat with Dickau & Fox and call the dadgum games as though he was auditioning for a new job instead of phoning in his usual mediocrity.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-03-2020 at 10:22 AM.

My obversations:

1) It's fun to be #1, but horrible teams will be decent, decent teams will be really good, and really good teams will be great - especially at home. Obviously.

2) It's usually important to make free throws at a respectable percentage, and less than 50% is a GREAT way to lose to an underdog.

I doubt the coaching staff needs to be forwarded my two observations. I suspect they agree, are well aware, and don't need to be reminded.

Anyone pick up, notice Coach Few's frustrations after another missed FT late?

Just shook his head

Just like me at home on the couch

The defensive intensity and ball handling when they actually care is amazing. Now coach just needs to inspire that before they hit 7 3's.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

I actually don't mind hesiter & Company on the broadcast typically. I don't know if that's who had the call tonight because I could not access the stream no matter how hard I tried. I resorted to my Sirius XM radio (have a 3 month free trial) where I got to listen to Hudson and Ammo. Talk about a jump up in quality! I was sitting in my car listening to the start of the 2nd half and then the zags went on their 16-0 run. Needless to say, I'll be sitting in my car on Saturday regardless of stream issues

Nice win zags! Way to fight through some adversity.

Bummed to hear the news about Watson. I'm sure their taking Dr's advice. Have to start wondering if shutting down for the year (or at least until march?) makes most sense now. Did not see last two games but based on reports does not sound like he is helping much out there.

Portland was a very spirited team in the 1st half and I give them a lot of credit for that. I don't think I've seen two flagrant fouls in a half like that and it erased my feelings of good will toward them in the 2nd. The Zags left a lot of points off the board and I hope a game like this doesn't happen against BYU or SMC. Tille looked much quicker and more aggressive than past games. Admon and Anton looked the opposite. The rest of the team is steady. I'm looking forward to more defensive efforts in the future like this Zags put forth early in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    I actually don't mind hesiter & Company on the broadcast typically. I don't know if that's who had the call tonight because I could not access the stream no matter how hard I tried. I resorted to my Sirius XM radio (have a 3 month free trial) where I got to listen to Hudson and Ammo. Talk about a jump up in quality! I was sitting in my car listening to the start of the 2nd half and then the zags went on their 16-0 run. Needless to say, I'll be sitting in my car on Saturday regardless of stream issues

Nice win zags! Way to fight through some adversity.

Bummed to hear the news about Watson. I'm sure their taking Dr's advice. Have to start wondering if shutting down for the year (or at least until march?) makes most sense now. Did not see last two games but based on reports does not sound like he is helping much out there.
    It's frustrating because you can definitely see that the talent is there. He's a really good defensive player, especially, in my opinion.

Absolutely.
    Parlez-vous français?

The new Zags of 2020 found out tonight what it's like to play in the WCC, especially when your team is #1 in the Nation. Give huge kudos to Portland coaching staff and players for being ready to cause havoc to their Neighbors to the North. They were ready and fought with everything they had, and actually had the Zags on their heels up until halftime where they held a seven point lead. Gonzaga looked shocked, and completely not ready for what Portland dished out. Zags were so shocked that they made it quite easy for Portland to score almost at will.

Coach Few and probably Tommy, must have woke them up at halftime, and most likely had some choice words for them because Gonzaga came out of the halftime break like a different team. ACTUALLY they looked like the Zags we know, and they built up a 20 point lead. However, Portland kept fighting with everything they had, and actually got it down to 13 points at the end. Give a lot of credit to Portland, but give even more credit to the Zags who came out and played some real good basketball the second half.

There were some really good positives in the game. First the Zags scored 50 points in the second half. AND second Tillie played his best game by far this year. He looked like the All American that he could be. He looked great both on offense and defense, and I think I noticed him most on defense. He was a pit bull on the loose. He looked awesome to me. But he also wanted to knock down some 3's. Those 3 point shots he made looked like topedos to me hitting an enemy submarine. They seemed to explode in the same way, and they took the life out of the enemy. They were beautiful. And the same thing can be said about Woolridge. He hit some beautiful bombs too in the second half. Between them they hit 5 second half bombs.

Ayayi and Kispert both had pretty good offensive games, 13 and 18 respectfully, but they both struggled on defense, imo. I worry about their defense really. They both look slow and have such awful footwork. They were getting beat time after time, and the players they guarded seemed to score easily. Portland did have smaller quicker players, and I think that hurt us some. Even the point guard, who was the smallest, caused trouble for Woolridge also, who is a very good defender. I just have to give credit to Portland guards who played great.

I'm sure this will be a game to remember for the Zags. It's a good warning what is going to come ahead of them. Portland is one of the worst teams in the conference. I'm glad Gonzaga had some very tough road games this year because they really help us in the second half I think. Maybe they remembered that they can play well on the road. Looking forward to Saturday.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

No doubt we can score....until we don't. Defense will win games if we play it. We didn't do a good job on defense first half tonight. If this happens with playoff competition, it'll be lights out very early. We're shorthanded and it could get shorter. Somebody must clue the kids in. Offenses are continuing to develop. Our is. We run up against a very good offense, and we don't play defense like we can, it won't be a good outcome......especially come March and early April.

...or Arlauskas get Watson’s minutes and Zags play small for a few minutes each half to rest the bigs. Arlauskas seems much more ready to contribute then Zakharov imo. Regardless, I am shocked Watson is still playing at this point. Ridiculous given frequency of the shoulder subwhatever he is having. Seriously, what is up with putting team before an individual player’s long term health and career? Not a good look for Gonzaga even if Watson himself is insisting on playing and presumably getting surgery done after the season.

I know we know very little of actual diagnosis but it’s just common sense and decency at this point

Agree w you 100% on the announcers Reno. Pros calling the game vs amateurish drivel Heister offers up. Dude does mail it in when calling Zags and thinks he’s a comedian.

I was believing Gilder was rounding into form prior to that showing. Zags need Gilder to be an impact player to get where they want to go.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Tillie getting his bounce back, Petrusev hustling for loose balls, Kispert quietly efficient (18pts?), Ayayi used his length when needed, Woolridge the dissector.
    Free throws a huge embarrassment esp a couple by Petro, gotta get that fixed. Pilots hair caught fire there for awhile.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

1-11 from the bench, Gilder still strays outside the system. Petro’s FT are a puzzle and embarrassment. Tils was awesome. Having fun out there and Wooly is MVP almost in the clubhouse. Watty a defensive beast, Barkley like. Kissy an off night but made lots of contributions. Timme plays on roller skates. But hard.

Default Spokesman - Review Coverage

Jim Meehan's Game Story: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...d-half-rallie/

Gonzaga won its 12th straight in the series, its nation-leading 12th consecutive road game and its 33rd straight WCC road contest, but it wasn’t easy.

“Tillie calmed us down, even though he’s on one leg,” Few said. “Admon (Gilder) had a big steal and breakaway that got us going a little bit and fortunately we had Woolridge. He competes every night.

“We’re extremely vulnerable. We could lose to 100, 150 teams in the country and we’ve shown we can beat any team in the country when we’re dialed in.”

Vince Grippi's 'TV Take' feature: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...as-in-west-co/

The Pilots, who have lost to the likes of Jackson State and Cal State Northridge at home, looked like the better team on both ends for the next 14 minutes.

They shot 54.5% from the field – almost 10 percentage points better than their season average – and held the Zags (15-1) to 46.7%. Gonzaga, which has the most efficient offense in the nation, hit just 2 of 10 3-point attempts and missed more than half of its 11 free throws.

As the Pilots (8-8) pulled ahead, the crowd pulled its weight as well, leading Belluomini and Tompkins to start using words like “believe” and “energy” when describing the home team.

Default The Slipper Still Fits Coverage

Brief recap story: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/gon...-over-portland

The fact that Tillie’s two best games came in the loss to Michigan and again on the road in Portland shows he plays his best when the chips are down for Gonzaga, and underscores the importance of his health to the program’s goal of another deep tournament run this year.
    10 observations from the GU - UP Game: LINK: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...source=twitter

It’s time to make the defensive adjustment and have the guards stay at home on the perimeter rather than following the ball into the paint to help in the post and crash the boards. That was a scheme choice the coaches made for this season, but opposing teams are having way too easy of a time getting good looks from the arc. There’s a reason why Gonzaga is ranked #242 in the country in three-point defense at the time of this writing, and having opposing teams light it up from the arc will make the Zags very susceptible to upsets.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-03-2020 at 07:26 AM.

Default Associated Press Wire Story

LINK: https://apnews.com/4c2cbea465bfb3e541559f2a18a0730b

“Listen, Portland, they did a good job, man. They took it to us in every facet of the game,” Few said. “They played harder than us, they were way tougher than we were, and they were executing better and stepping up and making tough shots and making free throws, and we weren’t. They deserve a lot of credit for that.”

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

It is sad to watch Warson play...I simply do not understand why he is playing....