Thread: Do you believe there is a dominant team this year?

Default Do you believe there is a dominant team this year?

Or do you believe its wide open?

I actually feel like zags may have final 4 in them if they can shore up D and free throws. I dont see a dominant team so far but zags are close.

Thoughts?
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Or do you believe its wide open?

I actually feel like zags may have final 4 in them if they can shore up D and free throws. I dont see a dominant team so far but zags are close.

Thoughts?
    There is no dominant team, I think that's established accepted fact by near everyone.

This team is a FF candidate, and also a quick out (every team is in same boat that way). We're one rolled ankle from 4-5 losses in the WCC.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Of course there is....we just don't know who it is yet...

Duke's freshmen really starting to pick it up as of late...

They looked tremendous in their blow out vs Mich St, and winning by 30+ in ACC so far

Look, I love the ZAGS regardless of how they're doing in any given season. But I really don't think that this year's team, who is currently ranked #1, would even break into the top 15 last year.
    If last year's version of the ZAGS were playing this year, I think that the national conversation would be "who can challenge the ZAGS?"

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    Look, I love the ZAGS regardless of how they're doing in any given season. But I really don't think that this year's team, who is currently ranked #1, would even break into the top 15 last year.
    If last year's version of the ZAGS were playing this year, I think that the national conversation would be "who can challenge the ZAGS?"
    Terrific point.

Nope. Not yet anyway. Zags if they get a lot better on D and FTs.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

No. Or so much. If Rui or Clarke had stayed. Yes. They didn’t . We have a team in development . Anytime u have two new guards, it takes a while. Defense is key and we are an offensive team still. If the defense comes around ... maybe. And the. There are those free throws MIA!!

I don’t think there are any elite teams at the moment. To my untrained eye, I haven’t seen a team that looks like a typical 1 or 2 Seed in most seasons. This year’s Zags are trending toward a 1 or 2 Seed against this field. By comparison, the 2017-2018 Zags had a roster with Josh Perkins, Silas Melson, Zach Norvell, Jr., Killian Tillie, Johnathan Williams, III, and Rui Hachimura. That team was better than any team I’ve seen so far, this year. That team was a 4 Seed in the NCAA Tournament.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

No dominant team, no excellent team; only teams that could grow to be very good. Cannot recall a worse year for college basketball, and don’t know why. An opportunity for someone, but may carry an asterisk.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    I agree no question last years team would seem to have a higher ceiling.
    Is the talent pool that much diffrent in college basketball this year?
    Did the move in the 3pt line change things that much?
    The fact is this years team is good, unfortunately they just play below the rim for the most part and do little that will end up on sports center. One thing I do know is a lay up and a dunk still add up the same. Basketball all over the country looks flat overall, cant figure out why?

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    No dominant team, no excellent team; only teams that could grow to be very good. Cannot recall a worse year for college basketball, and don’t know why. An opportunity for someone, but may carry an asterisk.
    in addition to random variance:

1- the missing top10 players.

1. RJ Barrett should have been playing this year, but he reclassified and played last year
    2. Cole Anthony essentially isn't playing
    3. James Wiseman isn't playing
    4. RJ Hampton and Lamello Ball are overseas and not in college

Those 5 guys would have all been elite, top-10 players (maybe not RJ Hampton).

Second - There was an enormous and unprecedented number of players who left early, with eligibility remaining, including a new record for the number who did so and went undrafted. That was another big talent drain.

Third - I think the talent is more dispersed, meaning more great players are on mediocre teams. (Garza @ Iowa, Edwards @Georgia, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    I agree no question last years team would seem to have a higher ceiling.
    Is the talent pool that much diffrent in college basketball this year?
    Did the move in the 3pt line change things that much?
    The fact is this years team is good, unfortunately they just play below the rim for the most part and do little that will end up on sports center. One thing I do know is a lay up and a dunk still add up the same. Basketball all over the country looks flat overall, cant figure out. why.
    One thing I know. An attempted dunk in traffic and an attempted layup in traffic don't produce the same number of points over the course of a season.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Travelin, I think any of the Top 20 in KenPom's list https://kenpom.com/ could develop into the "very good" category.

We might see two teams each from the ACC, B1G, BE in the Elite 8. . .the 19-20 season story lines are still evolving.

Weird year with lots of parity. But I think that really favors this team in a rebuilding year. Are we top 5 this year? Maybe. Would this team have been top 10 last year? Unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    One thing I know. An attempted dunk in traffic and an attempted layup in traffic don't produce the same number of points over the course of a season.
    No question you are right about that! I wish this team was a little faster off the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Weird year with lots of parity. But I think that really favors this team in a rebuilding year. Are we top 5 this year? Maybe. Would this team have been top 10 last year? Unlikely.
    I wonder if it means lots of teams are rebuilding.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.