Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Pepperdine Post Game analysis & media coverage

My first thought was that I was able to watch the game on my 50 inch smart TV with no issues. I wonder why that was?

(entering serious sarcasm mode now.....................)

Wait, I know the answer to that very important question. It's because the game was on ESPN2, and not KHQ / ROOT / Stadium / Facebook / Whatever.

What a joy it was to watch the #1 team in the nation, a team I love dearly, and not have any problems.
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

In my score predictions I've been pretty stinky. For this game I happened to nail Pepperdine's score @ 70 (but I had the Zags at 88). Here's last night's box score for Zags only:

Starting from the right and going left in the image the data for total points looks like a hockey player's smile. Tooth missing = Ryan. Ryan was defended pretty well. Tuckered from Portland? Ryan's stat line for 29 mins looks pretty bare. He helped out on the assists and steals but this game was very atypical for Ryan - which is good (atypical part) as he'll very likely bounce back from this performance. Zags didn't have much of an issue with fouls (no one had more than 3). Turnovers at 17 .... yikes. Pepperdine had 14 so that somewhat negates the ugliness of 17 for the Zags (heavy on the somewhat). Total blocks at 3. Don't show that to BC! Steals at 11 - that's good (Pepp had 7). Assists at 18 (Pepp had 14). The rebounding numbers don't really apply well to mathematical rules - not sure why. Regardless, the Zags show 39 (Pepp had 30). Zags got 14 of 21 FTs (66.7%). You can bet Pacific is going to be slap happy on the 25th at McCarthey. Pacific only plays the Zags once before Vegas (if they get the chance there). 3pt shooting at 5 of 18 for for 27.8% - Yikes! Killian with 0/1? At home in McCarthey? Did Pepperdine defend the 3 that well? Kispert with 2/8. My head's still shaking. Joel shot pretty well but had 6 TOs. It's a darn good thing that Killian is getting back in decent physical shape. His 20 and Filip's 16 weathered the other poor stats in TOs and FTs.

These last 2 games have laid out a pretty good template for other WCC teams on how to challenge the Zags. The next two games are away in San Diego and LA. Hope there's spiffy SoCal weather to help rejuvenate the Zags. I also hope considerable time is spent on FT practice by each and every Zag.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Most impressed with Tillie’s play and apparent health.

Most unimpressed with the lack of cohesive effort, or perhaps it was in the execution. In either case, it looked like several bolts were loose.

OMG. All the negativity. Must be all the street alumni that are commenting. (SARC OFF)

Every team has three or four stinkers every year. Zags had two in a row and still won.

Good news is that there is a lot of room for improvement and they are still 16-1.

I love me some Tillie.

Pep lived up tp it's pre season hype...… congratulations to Coach Romar and his team.....they have some kids that can really score...

I was surprised they didn't foul more at the end....

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Gonzaga 75
    Pepperdine 70

I think this is the kind of game we're going to see in conference, and especially when our team shoots 5-18 from behind the 3 point line. Thank God we have Tillie because he's playing really great, inspired tough basketball right now. The team played sloppy, commiting 17 turnovers. Ayayi had 6. I think it was the most turnovers in a game this year. Ayayi did hit 2-4 three-pointers and scored 12 points.

I watched the defensive end of the game much closer tonight, as I was trying to see what is going wrong with the defense. Several things imo. #1 problem is Petrusev imo. He has no idea how to play the pick and roll, and he can not guard a guard who is a good scorer. Yes Ross scored 24, and two-thirds of them were against Petrusev. I see this as a huge problem for Gonzaga because the way Few plays the pick and roll he has the players switch on most screens. On the pick and roll defense that puts Petrusev on the point guard, and as we've been seeing Gonzaga is getting killed lately by good scoring guards. Petrusev also is not defending well at all when his man is going to the outside to shoot a 3, or when he switched onto a guard and the guard shoots a 3. Many of the made 3's came against Petrusev. The second problem, and it's been noticed all year by fans, is that our players are not putting up a hand/arm when defending the shot. It's pathetic really because any good high school player knows he MUST do a good close out when defending an outside shooter and get a hand up and distract the player. Zags are giving players wide open shots. If we will not defend the 3 point shots like we should, the games will all be close.

The best way to describe this game is the Zags lack of intensity and focus for 80% of the game. There were players who I felt did fight hard, had intensity and focus. But really not enough. The guards were so sloppy in the back court, dribbling all over the place, holding the ball too long and playing one on one basketball. They've done this before. Every year actually. There are games when the players just aren't really moving the ball that crisply. Personally, I get up tight when I see the guards dribbling around the court. That is NOT Gonzaga basketball.

On the positive side. We won. I give the guys credit for that because this was a game that was certainly in doubt. So, in a way it was good to see a close game for a change, and it was probably good for the team to have one because there are others coming soon. Pepperdine, like Portland, played a very good game and hit their shots for the most part. Ross had a great game. I think Pepperdine played harder and fought harder than the Zags, and that is something that DOES CONCERN me.
    Reborn, your analysis is really better than anything else I find online. Great stuff.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

The best way to describe this game is the Zags lack of intensity and focus for 80% of the game. There were players who I felt did fight hard, had intensity and focus. But really not enough. The guards were so sloppy in the back court, dribbling all over the place, holding the ball too long and playing one on one basketball. They've done this before. Every year actually. There are games when the players just aren't really moving the ball that crisply. Personally, I get up tight when I see the guards dribbling around the court. That is NOT Gonzaga basketball.
    Great points, reborn. When we play the high low with Petrusev, we need to make sure Filip has space to move. Seems like on more than one occasion, Filip got the ball too low and in traffic...result was a missed bunny or a travel. It didn't help that the refs were allowing a lot of contact in the paint. Filip and Drew need to keep adding to their upper body strength as well.

The adjustment for Admon and Ryan has obviously been huge, as evidenced by bouts of dribbling. Zag offense is predicated on ball movement, it's easier for defenses to adjust when there's too much dribbling.

Filip has made great strides in that area, he's no longer a black hole when he gets the ball. I'll bet Drew's had something to do with that, because that's how Drew plays.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Pep lived up tp it's pre season hype...… congratulations to Coach Romar and his team.....they have some kids that can really score...

I was surprised they didn't foul more at the end....
    Romar's best hire was Ken Bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    OMG. All the negativity. Must be all the street alumni that are commenting. (SARC OFF)

Every team has three or four stinkers every year. Zags had two in a row and still won.

Good news is that there is a lot of room for improvement and they are still 16-1.

I love me some Tillie.
    There is not "a lot" of negativity. We have seen what a lot of negativity looks like, and it is not this.

This is nothing more than sober analysis of what happens when a team had a shot to tie us in a game that would've been "the biggest upset" in whatever ESPN put up, a long long time.

That's a bit more than a stinker, and people have pointed out what was positive. But also pointed out how you get to be in the spot where a team has a shot to tie … at home.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    There is not "a lot" of negativity. We have seen what a lot of negativity looks like, and it is not this.

This is nothing more than sober analysis of what happens when a team had a shot to tie us in a game that would've been "the biggest upset" in whatever ESPN put up, a long long time.

That's a bit more than a stinker, and people have pointed out what was positive. But also pointed out how you get to be in the spot where a team has a shot to tie … at home.
    Whatever. Just poking a little fun.

“It was gross. Both games have been.“

Guess it depends on who the poster is. If it had come from a different source this board would have become unglued.

Pepperdine was well prepared and played really hard. Having coach Bone, who obviously knows Gonzagas sets, showed.

Defensivly Pepperdine doubled quickly whenever the ball stopped or went inside. They jumped out and faced up the perimeter guys well. Gonzaga consistantly has trouble with teams that get up in their face. Ball movement seems to stop.

Athletically Pepperdine is impressive. The Edwards brothers are great players, quick with verticality and Ross had a allstar night picking apart our bigs on switches . They had a gameplan and it worked. The roll action worked well.

To conferance teams the Zags face its like playing a final 4 game. It's their win of the season especially against a #1 ranked team. I'm sure planning to play Gonzaga is a year long process for these teams. They are as prepared as any team faced.

I'm not going to talk about the negatives of Gonzaga. Some nights the game isn't going to go as well as planned. I'm really impressed with the efforts of the opposition so far. Kudos to the WCC.

These are as important of games as playing the big boys. They all prepare the team for March.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Romar's best hire was Ken Bone.
    Thanks for the info about Ken Bone. I had not noticed that during the game. He is one good reason why Pepperdine was able to defend us so well. Bone is a GREAT defensive coach. For those of you who don't know him, he was the head coach at Washington State for several years, and during his time there, WSU gave Gonzaga fits every year and the games were always close and the scores were low. Bone also coached at Gonzaga for a short time during the season we went to the final 4, and that was probably our best defensive team ever. I wish Few had been the one who picked him up.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Pepperdine was well prepared and played really hard. Having coach Bone, who obviously knows Gonzagas sets, showed.

Defensivly Pepperdine doubled quickly whenever the ball stopped or went inside. They jumped out and faced up the perimeter guys well. Gonzaga consistantly has trouble with teams that get up in their face. Ball movement seems to stop.

Athletically Pepperdine is impressive. The Edwards brothers are great players, quick with verticality and Ross had a allstar night picking apart our bigs on switches . They had a gameplan and it worked. The roll action worked well.

To conferance teams the Zags face its like playing a final 4 game. It's their win of the season especially against a #1 ranked team. I'm sure planning to play Gonzaga is a year long process for these teams. They are as prepared as any team faced.

I'm not going to talk about the negatives of Gonzaga. Some nights the game isn't going to go as well as planned. I'm really impressed with the efforts of the opposition so far. Kudos to the WCC.

These are as important of games as playing the big boys. They all prepare the team for March.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Good analysis, White lightning. I totally agree about Bone being on Romar's staff. He's a great defensive coach. And Pepperdine is a good team, as is Portland. Portland showed that last night by beating San Francisco. I think most of us figured that the WCC would be tougher this year, and we were right. And I think many of us have wanted the WCC to be tougher for a long time. I know I have wished that, and honestly I'm glad it is. It's going to make this season so much more enjoyable because now I won't be able to just assume Gonzaga will win every game.

Go Zags!!!

Ayayi does get lost on D...always chasing the close outs on 3pt attempts. Now maybe he’s supposed to dig down and double. I don’t know what they are trying to do as a team. But if opponent is attacking Petrusev then I understand the help, because that guy could care less about defense.

Another poster commented about how it appears the focus has been on defensive end. If true, that might explain why Filip has seen so much bench during first two games. Unfortunately his offense is needed at this point and coaching staff runs risk of losing too much offense with him out of the game. Also offensively, Filip needs to quite complaining to the refs...maddening.

Give me Kispert and Tillie all day. Love dudes who are diving on the floor. Woolridge is in there too but tends to get lost a bit on rotations.

Quote Originally Posted by thickman1 View Post
    Ayayi does get lost on D...always chasing the close outs on 3pt attempts. Now maybe he’s supposed to dig down and double. I don’t know what they are trying to do as a team. But if opponent is attacking Petrusev then I understand the help, because that guy could care less about defense.

Another poster commented about how it appears the focus has been on defensive end. If true, that might explain why Filip has seen so much bench during first two games. Unfortunately his offense is needed at this point and coaching staff runs risk of losing too much offense with him out of the game. Also offensively, Filip needs to quite complaining to the refs...maddening.

Give me Kispert and Tillie all day. Love dudes who are diving on the floor. Woolridge is in there too but tends to get lost a bit on rotations.
    Some good thoughts in your post. I would also now add Gilder because he's becoming a bigger factor in games lately. I thought he was outstanding last night, especially in the later parts of the game. He and Tillie really carried the Zags. Gilder played outstanding defense as well. His steal and layup gave the Zags a lot of momentum going down the backstretch. He also hit a very big 3 with about 6 minutes to go in the game that kept Gonzaga a little out of reach. He adds tremendous strength to the bench, and our bench players are as good as any we've had in the past I think. Watson is a big question mark, and it will be interesting how this plays out.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    He's been good to occupy some time so other bigs can get a breather and for now, he hasn't hurt the team.
    We have one loss and are no 1 with a 1seed. A few more of these listless, poor defensive outings, I see trouble ahead. Lots of very good teams have 1 or 2 losses. In particular, Duke has one loss and early in the season they were surprised by a good Steven Austin group. Many others have zero or 2 losses. Some writers have begun the usual old crap about our weak conference...… it isn't this year but they rely on history of the WCC.

Nothing wrong with fatique. Can't be helped with only 7 serviceable kids. 14 regular season games left. I'd like to see Few play some of those non front liners more so they get experience and get the 7 players more rest. I'm sure he'll do that...

We have a superior coach and a willing bunch of kids. Some nail biting is coming up. We can prevail though. Tillie, Filip. Timme, Watson, Zacharov…….Corey, Joel, Adner and Woolridge. Juggling those 8 or 9 will be a big job.
    Your point about Watson giving a chance for post players to rest for awhile is a great idea. I never thought about that. I also appreciate your views on how ESPN demeans our conference, and in awhile demeans Gonzaga. Cool analysis. AND finally your positive attitude does help me stay positive too. You've been a very good contributor to this forum, and always look forward to reading your posts, even when we disagree. hahaha

Go Zags!!!

From The Slipper Still Fits:

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...ver-pepperdine

I have tremendous respect for Anton Watson’s willingness to gut out his shoulder injury. But it’s evident he is severely limited on the floor as he tries to avoid any movement that could cause his shoulder to pop out again, and looks like a shell of the player we saw in the first few weeks of the season. With that in mind, is the 6 minutes he’s providing worth it or is he, and the team, better served by shutting him down for the next month to try and give his shoulder the chance to stabilize and heal?
    https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...pperdine-75-70

The Zags have not looked good in 2020. They committed five charging violations tonight as part of their overall 17 turnovers. The defense looked confused and their failure to pick-up open shooters beyond the arc allowed several easy threes. I don’t know if it’s the long lay-off in late December or overall complacency, but the team has not looked sharp in either game this week.

From the Spokesman-Review

Jim Meehan's Gamer: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ork-on-after-/

“Two games in a row we’ve come out pretty flat,” junior wing Corey Kispert said in reference to GU’s sleepy first-half in Thursday’s 85-72 road win over Portland. “It’s disappointing that we can’t get things going early. These teams in this league are good enough if you give them hope and life, they’re going to start making shots and making plays.

“That’s what Pepperdine did. They did a good job of capitalizing when we messed up. We were lucky to come out of there with a win.”
    Blanchette on Free Throw Results: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...he-free-throw/

Many believe No. 1 can be fixed simply by hollering from the bleachers, “Make your foul shots!” Or with, yes, practice – which they presume a team is skipping if it continues to have problems at the stripe.

Right. Like the Zags practiced free throws twice as much a year ago, when they shot 76 percent and were 16th in the country in the art.

“It’s being addressed reps-wise,” Michaelson said, “but it’s a fine line, too. It can be a confidence issue and I think it’s a little contagious, too, whether you want to admit it or not.”
    V. Grippi TV Take feature: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...coverage/page2

Part of it was the Zags’ nine turnovers – four of them coming on offensive foul calls, three by Greg Nixon.

Nixon has probably spent more time in Spokane than any major college official who doesn’t live in the area. Not only does he draw many Gonzaga home games, he also has been a staple at referee clinics in the area the past few years.

Familiarity, however, may breed some contempt. At least his third first-half charge call earned some from Mark Few, who did a bit of a moonwalk to show how he felt the Pepperdine defender was backing up before the collision. Actually, replays showed Jan Zidek moved to the side to initiate the contact.

Default AP Wire Story

LINK: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401175236

But coach Mark Few was mostly full of criticism for his team after the game.

"We turned the ball over way, way too much," Few said about his team's 17 turnovers. "That was the story tonight."

"We were trying too hard on the offensive end," Few added, after his team shot 49% for the game and made just 5 of 18 from 3-point range.

But he praised Tillie for "an unbelievably courageous effort. He really helped us tonight with his energy."

Whatever. Just poking a little fun.

“It was gross. Both games have been.“

Guess it depends on who the poster is. If it had come from a different source this board would have become unglued.
    It was. Calm down. You think the games werent gross minus 1 half? You dont think the team came out flat? You think they came out with fire? You think they were playing with any sense of urgency?

If so you are lying. Its a message board. I didnt say anything wrong. And by reading the post game from Few and players and writers they agree with me.

Teams have stinkers during the year. Its ok to say when they do.
    Love the zags for life

A lot of those turnovers were offensive fouls. Offensively we were fine last night. The offensive fouls were an issue and we missed some threes, but three point shots have a lot of variance. I was still let down by our defense. Our pick and roll defense is a mess and we way overhelp and get caught ball watching. Petrusev, Gilder, and Ayayi have no idea what they are doing in our defensive scheme. I don't see how we beat BYU with now well they shoot.

Quoting Zags11, “It was gross. Both games have been.“

You certainly could be right about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    You certainly could be right about that.
    Meh. Mark Few said they werent very good. Corey said they were flat. So change gross to bad and it is just fine per zag coach and players.
    Love the zags for life

Did some research. Pepperdine does have a good offense and they are in the same group with Ohio State, Louisville, Kentucky, Maryland, Villanova, San Diego St., Notre Dame and Florida St. I'd say that that's good company. In reflecting back upon the game, Pepperdine did show that they have very capable scorers. Add their good offense to Ken Bone's influence on their defense and Pepperdine is a pretty good team. And I was one who figured that they'd be a pretty good team this year, and maybe they are.

Go Zags!!!

Unhappy

Pepperdine played hard. Ross made some impressive shots. Zags disappointed, but managed to win. Given the last two games against two WCC teams with so-so records, and given Duke blasting BC and Miami, the Blue Devils are gonna snatch a fistful of the #1 votes from the Zags on Monday. Kansas too. It'll be interesting to see how many.

Our WCC conference mates are giving us heck. This fan prefers tough, exciting games over ho-hum blowouts. But, c'mon, if we don't blow the doors off of San Diego, Kiddwell's gonna get nervous.

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!