Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Pepperdine Post Game analysis & media coverage

Default Gonzaga vs Pepperdine Post Game analysis & media coverage

Gonzaga 75
    Pepperdine 70

I think this is the kind of game we're going to see in conference, and especially when our team shoots 5-18 from behind the 3 point line. Thank God we have Tillie because he's playing really great, inspired tough basketball right now. The team played sloppy, commiting 17 turnovers. Ayayi had 6. I think it was the most turnovers in a game this year. Ayayi did hit 2-4 three-pointers and scored 12 points.

I watched the defensive end of the game much closer tonight, as I was trying to see what is going wrong with the defense. Several things imo. #1 problem is Petrusev imo. He has no idea how to play the pick and roll, and he can not guard a guard who is a good scorer. Yes Ross scored 24, and two-thirds of them were against Petrusev. I see this as a huge problem for Gonzaga because the way Few plays the pick and roll he has the players switch on most screens. On the pick and roll defense that puts Petrusev on the point guard, and as we've been seeing Gonzaga is getting killed lately by good scoring guards. Petrusev also is not defending well at all when his man is going to the outside to shoot a 3, or when he switched onto a guard and the guard shoots a 3. Many of the made 3's came against Petrusev. The second problem, and it's been noticed all year by fans, is that our players are not putting up a hand/arm when defending the shot. It's pathetic really because any good high school player knows he MUST do a good close out when defending an outside shooter and get a hand up and distract the player. Zags are giving players wide open shots. If we will not defend the 3 point shots like we should, the games will all be close.

The best way to describe this game is the Zags lack of intensity and focus for 80% of the game. There were players who I felt did fight hard, had intensity and focus. But really not enough. The guards were so sloppy in the back court, dribbling all over the place, holding the ball too long and playing one on one basketball. They've done this before. Every year actually. There are games when the players just aren't really moving the ball that crisply. Personally, I get up tight when I see the guards dribbling around the court. That is NOT Gonzaga basketball.

On the positive side. We won. I give the guys credit for that because this was a game that was certainly in doubt. So, in a way it was good to see a close game for a change, and it was probably good for the team to have one because there are others coming soon. Pepperdine, like Portland, played a very good game and hit their shots for the most part. Ross had a great game. I think Pepperdine played harder and fought harder than the Zags, and that is something that DOES CONCERN me.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Lucky to come out with a win. After Tillie's block, it bounced to Ayayi and then to Gilder. Stumbling, Gilder double dribbled the ball before getting fouled. Refs totally missed it. Instead of a turnover, Gilder is at the line. Outcome could have been very different had the zebras gotten the call correct.

WCC play is going to be a wild ride.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Lucky to come out with a win. After Tillie's block, it bounced to Ayayi and then to Gilder. Stumbling, Gilder double dribbled the ball before getting fouled. Refs totally missed it. Instead of a turnover, Gilder is at the line. Outcome could have been very different had the zebras gotten the call correct.

There were many missed calls, both for and against.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

They stunk, shouldn’t be number one and recruiters from Europe are doubling their calls.

I think the pepp guy came over the back before that and it should have been called..

It was gross. Both games have been.
    Love the zags for life

Nice recap and analysis, Reborn.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Tillie is carrying the team now that he's healthy. His defense is stellar but not so with the rest of the bigs. Much room for improvement. Immediate improvement needed. More zone? Something. As much as we practice running the pick and roll, you would think we would learn how to defend against it.
    Hard to believe free throws won the game for us tonight. Not by percentage, but the sheer number. Having Ken Bone on their bench was probably also a big help tonight.

The 17 TOs ......
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

WCC will be a tough slog. Hope we somehow get healthier.

going to have to try and figure out different ways to win every night, different formulas.

Saw what Reborn saw on the D end. On O, Zags pounded it inside 2nd half, and Gilder came up big down the stretch when Wooly was actually on the bench down the stretch for the first time this year. ZagBlue said early on in the game thread Ryan looked spent after playing 40 minutes just 48 hours before on the road, and Few appeared to see the same and Gilder got the call which turned ut to be a good one as he was able to stay with Ross through the screens late, bothered Ross and made plays on both ends. Tillie also had some wins vs. Ross when he was switched onto Ross, and came up big all over

much like playing 4v5 on O is tough, it's the same on D. Teams will keep attacking that until it's made to stop. Petro with the target on him right now, he and the Zags can expect more of the same. Zags weren't switching with Petro all the time but it appeared Ryan was struggling to get thru the screens. Ryan has been good at that this year until tonight, but Gilder made a difference there and helped Petro and all by sticking better

next puzzle

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    The 17 TOs ......
    bad, no way around that

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    WCC will be a tough slog. Hope we somehow get healthier.
    Yeah! I hear ya. Watson is really of very little value as I see it, and Few didn't play him the 2nd half which was probably good. To me he looks like he doesn't want to play. His energy level just seem so low.

I agree, Watson is not really adding much. Not sure if he is still hurt or what but he looks like the least energetic guy on the floor for both teams. Watson needs to make an impact this year or he will get buried on the bench next year.

Based on these first 2 games, I am not sure we get thru the WCC unscathed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    I agree, Watson is not really adding much. Not sure if he is still hurt or what but he looks like the least energetic guy on the floor for both teams. Watson needs to make an impact this year or he will get buried on the bench next year.

What has been good for Gonzaga is our OOC play because we played a couple of very tough true Road Games, and some very tough games on neutral courts and did well in all but one game. Actually, Gonzaga is NOT that used to playing good teams at home.

The other thing, and I really believe it, is that the team just needs to stay focused and play one game at a time. Stay focused on the here and now and discipline their minds to not think about the polls or anything really but the next game.

The 3rd really good point is that we do have different guys step up at different times. Tonight, imo it was Gilder. He really came through for the team, and this is not the first time he's done that. He has really been a great player coming off the bench. I love that about him. And I like Timme as well. Overall, we have a good bench but are one player short. Few really needs to take a hard look at how Watson is playing, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post

He's been good to occupy some time so other bigs can get a breather and for now, he hasn't hurt the team.
    We have one loss and are no 1 with a 1seed. A few more of these listless, poor defensive outings, I see trouble ahead. Lots of very good teams have 1 or 2 losses. In particular, Duke has one loss and early in the season they were surprised by a good Steven Austin group. Many others have zero or 2 losses. Some writers have begun the usual old crap about our weak conference...… it isn't this year but they rely on history of the WCC.

Nothing wrong with fatique. Can't be helped with only 7 serviceable kids. 14 regular season games left. I'd like to see Few play some of those non front liners more so they get experience and get the 7 players more rest. I'm sure he'll do that.

I was readying ESPN's new effort to move Duke up ( no 2 ranked, no 1 seed) tonight while they detailed how weak we looked in the past 2 games. I want a no 1 ranking but I won't jump off a bridge if it doesn't last. More concerned about out own tournament and then the dance. We haven't hit the tougher teams yet..so rest and retooling is mandatory.
    We have a superior coach and a willing bunch of kids. Some nail biting is coming up. We can prevail though. Tillie, Filip. Timme, Watson, Zacharov…….Corey, Joel, Adner and Woolridge. Juggling those 8 or 9 will be a big job.

These first two conference games have definitely been hand-wringers. Seems like every year the team goes through stretches where they really struggle against those high pick and rolls. Tonight was one of those. The last couple of years, Few would switch it up and go to zone just to throw a different look - but he seems hesitant to do that so far. I think they'll get it figured out. The guys maybe fed off the lack of energy in the building (from missing the students)? I do think winning these close games will pay off. The WCC definitely seems to be improved this year - so maybe this isn't so much of a shock. Maybe not expected from Portland and Pepperdine, but Pacific beat St. Mary's tonight and Portland did get a win over San Fran.

I doubt the Zags get many more 20+ Vegas lines in WCC play after this week...

The Zags had a chance to take the momentum and extend the lead and hiccuped at the end there. Pepperdine had to hit some tough shots and get some favorable 50/50 calls to keep it close in the first half and I didn't think they'd hang as well as they did in the second. Being the #1 team in the WCC is tough already, but being #1 in the nation puts an even bigger target on your back. The Zags will be seeing some loose teams with nothing to lose.

I hope Petrusev continues to improve his ability to play through contact. He seemed to take a step back tonight and didn't handle the physicality very well. Hopefully it was an off night (he still shot close to 50%, though, but I think he is capable of being more efficient and turning the ball over less)

The last two games it feels as if the staff is primarily looking at things through a defensive prism, trying to instill certain call outs, rotations, and matchups. The reason they look so sluggish is because they’re being asked to do new things and are not executing. They’re trying to work on that side of the ball and unfortunately not seeing what they need to out of Filip. He sat for a long time against a Portland and was shuffled out quite a bit tonight. Timme was actually playing well and building momentum until he picked up his second foul. I think it’s going to be a work in progress for awhile, but I do believe that they’ll figure it out.

This happened a couple years ago as well. The team had a good rhythm but Few needs the guys to shoulder more in terms of learning sets both offensive and defensive. At times it feels the guys are overthinking instead of playing. I think that is where Anton is struggling . The injury plays a factor, but it’s almost as if you can see the wheels turning in his head.

I watched the game again, which for me is always good. I see a lot better after I know we have won. More relaxed. The Zags had an 8 point lead with 2:40 left in the game, and they could not finish strong. This has been a real big problem for the Zags this year in so many games, in particular the easier games they just let up at the end; let's say the last 3 or 4 minutes. Doing that enough times will eventually catch up to you. In those last 2 minutes and 40 seconds we scored one basket by Tillie on a pick and roll, and 2 foul shots by Gilder at the end. Petrusev missed the front end of a one on one, and a hook shot in the middle of the lane, and finally Kispert missed the front end of a one on one with 16 seconds left in the game. I was really hoping that he'd make those two free throws because it would have iced the game, and given him confidence in future tight games. Tillie makes a huge block with 10 seconds or so to go, and Gilder gets the rebound and is fouled and makes them both to put the game away. Good for Gilder. I thought Gilder and Tillie played very solid in the later part of the game. Woolridge really seemed to disappear tonight. He never scored a single point. This team is strange that way. Woolridge has been playing great and then suddenly he disappears. But thank God we have some good bench players because like I said Gilder came on strong tonight.

Go Zags!!!

I don’t know what to make of Zags’ first two WCC games. Portland and Pepperdine not the best WCC has to offer yet both gave Zags all they could handle. A lot is made of conference foes knowing one another’s basic sets and how to muck things up just because of familiarity w one another. Perhaps we are seeing consequence for Zags of so many new players; wrinkles and more complex variations of basic sets not yet installed or 2nd nature for this team so WCC foes really able to throw them off? Do past Zags teams w less roster turnover typically have more variations, counter moves instilled by this point of the season?

I may be grasping at straws but if above doesn’t explain Zags’ struggles to some degree then what is one to make of these last two games? Injuries a huge factor to of course...less practice time for key players trying to get healthy only exacerbates challenges of forming a team with so many new pieces.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

When you are #1, the opponents have nothing to lose. Only if they play every game as if it could be their last. They will roll soon.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    There were many missed calls, both for and against.
    So true, so true

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post

There were several calls at the end that bailed us out. One on the baseline with 45 sec or so that mystified me. Kispert traveled and they missed it totally. There was more than one.

Other than Tillie and some Kispert, the effort was inexplicable. Taking the ball out of bounds in last minute and they barely walked to it, almost indifferent. So strange.

This team shows up for big games, but could lose more than one bad game in the WCC if this isn't fixed.

I loved that Tillie demanded the ball at the end, love it, he wasn't having a great shooting night, but knew he had to put them on his back. I did like that a lot.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

We're all spoiled, the Zags are a bit bored and over confident. WCC is much improved and taken a bit lightly. D is playing at about 1/2 speed and free throws MUST improve.

How many charging calls -- 6?

No more excuses -- step up time for the Zags.

Go Zags - Beat the Tereros!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”