Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: St. Mary's (4-0) Next Opponent; Unfettered Look at the Gaels

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    SeaCat,

It looks like SMC tried to run a more traditional offense in the OOC schedule. Either Ferguson or Moe (traditional forwards) started essentially every game in the OOC schedule. Since the first WCC game neither Moe or Ferguson have gotten significant minutes and SMC has gone essentially to a three (3) guard and two (2) guard/forward combo players and changed their offensive strategy.

ZagDad
    Thanks ZagDad. Looks like it will be a battle to see who will dictate the tempo of the game.

Gonzaga is a religious university and I love that. I especially love to hear young people talking about how it is important in their life.

The Truong's said that religion is a big part why they choose Gonzaga. Yes

Already mentioned Jenn Wirth was spreading the good word on her twitter account and now I noticed she has a bible verse on top of her account. Yes

I gaining more and more respect for our Lady Zags and their lifes priorities.

A good interview with CLF, MK and JT about last week's games and the upcoming games this week with St. Mary's and Pacific on the lady zags facebook page.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/ZagWBB

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post

Notice something unusual about the SMC Players? Every Player, starter and primary sub has a (G) after their name. Every player can handle the ball, and play at least the typical #2 & #3 positions. There are no traditional Forwards or Centers in the starting 5 or in the primary substitutes. They have these type of players on their team but they see little or no court time in WCC play. When I watched the 4th quarter of the SMC vs SCU game and the highlights of the Pepperdine game, this line-up makes a lot of sense.

Put all 5 players on the perimeter (not necessarily the 3 pt line) and pass the ball around the perimeter. A player drives to the hoop trying to beat their defender to the hoop. If the opposition fails to stop the ball, the SMC player goes for a lay-up. If help defense drops in the key to stop the ball handler, the SMC player who was left alone, runs unopposed to the hoop for an easy pass and lay-up. If the opposition stops the ball handler, the ball handler whips it back out to the perimeter to restart the play or for a "3". If the opposition runs at the ball handler, they let the defender fly by, dribble past and hit the short-range jump shot from the elbow. When any SMC player gets an open shot, the ball goes up. Lots of shots, leads to lots of points and lots of rebounds. SMC is betting that your top 7 players cannot match up with their top seven (7) players and when they find your weakness, they will exploit it. Based on SMC's shooting percentages against WCC opponents so far, the "hope they miss it" defense looks like it will be an exercise in futility.

ZagDad
    ZD

This is it precisely.

This guard centric lineup is a match up nightmare.

The biggest problem is that if their guards are halfway decent then they're going to handle the ball well so pressing them is futile. They're going to make you pay! They are absolutely hoping that the other team will get into a three point shooting contest.

Hindsight always being 20/20 but at the LMU game at the end of the 3rd the score was St Mary's +5. At that point it was clear that St Mary's wanted to get into a three point shooting contest. Between our sharpshooter Aspyn Adams, our freshman Cece and my girl Chels I would've probably just told them "bombs away!" and live with the results. Even our forward Jasmine Jones is developing a three point shot. That's the reality of men's (and women's) basketball today. The three is here to stay.

Perhaps that's precisely what Coach Elliot did? I don't know. But I can't bring myself yet to watch that game again LOL

We have our own set of "twin towers" in players 6'3" Laura Vaida and Meghan Mandell at 6'4". They're protecting the paint. The NO LAYUP rule is in effect.

Any team that's going to beat St Mary's has got to hold them to under 65/70 points. The Zags have the best defense in the conference. I believe that their defense is going to be the key's

Now if we can just repeat last year and get Chelsey to have back to back 26 point games against both SF and Santa Clara, I'll feel MUCH better about us clawing our way from the bottom and at least finishing 4th or 5th place this year.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any other final score predictions against St. Marys tonight? We only have one so far.

Do thing the winner of the game will be by more the 10 points or single digits?

Who do you thing will guard #04 Wedin (5'9") their most prolific 3 point shooter?

In St. Mary's 4 WCC games their shooting percentage on FG has been 47.6%, 54.2%, 50%, and 52.3% lastly against LMU. Obviously if you leave their 4 difference makers open for shots anywhere they will make you pay.

Will our bigs Jenn, Leeanne, Melody plant their feet and take some charges? Will our bigs prevent the easy layups and alley oops?

Will Jill be able to stay more upright tonight and stop falling all over the floor and banging her various body parts, head etc.?
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 01-09-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Gonzaga is a religious university and I love that. I especially love to hear young people talking about how it is important in their life.

The Truong's said that religion is a big part why they choose Gonzaga. Yes

Already mentioned Jenn Wirth was spreading the good word on her twitter account and now I noticed she has a bible verse on top of her account. Yes

I gaining more and more respect for our Lady Zags and their lifes priorities.
    LMU being a Jesuit institution had a lot with our family's choice as well. We're Christians. Patriots. My oldest daughter, a USMC combat Engineer, shipped off from Camp Pendleton overseas Tues. I'm so proud of her as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21-10 after 1sr qtr

Zags all over SMC 30-12. You'll have to forgive me, but whatever stats WCC teams put up against any conference opponent other than GU, I'm going to take with a big grain of salt.

So much for that 80 pt average

Wow that was very relaxing game to watch, how sweet it is.

My favorite play of the game was in the 2nd half we were 30 points ahead pretty much maintained from 1st half. But here was Jessie doing a full court press all by herself and knocking the ball away in the backcourt then diving for it out of bounds her back landing against the scoring table. Jessie got a standing ovation from every one inside the Kennel. What heart by Jessie going full board later in the 2nd half up by 30 points and still giving it her 100%. And I loved that everyone in the Kennel recognized her heart simultaneously and gave her a standing ovation.

Thanks Jessie Loera for all the heart and unselfishness you bring to the Zags.

can...not...believe...that Jess and Katie are seniors already....

Player I disliked for her dirty play when she fell behind is #05 Holland.

#05 Holland in the 2nd half after getting a in bounds pass literally went way out of her way running sideways and chased down lowering her shoulder into one of our point guards not once but twice in the back court, and then to add insult to injury they called a foul on on our point guard. That was the dirtiest play by far I saw all year with intent to injure another player.

Think it was Kayleigh Truong who Holland hammered repeatedly on that play.

And #05 Holland was dishing out shoulders and a elbow underneath the basket also in the 2nd half, and getting away with it.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 01-10-2020 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Player I disliked for her dirty play when she fell behind is #05 Holland.

#05 Holland in the 2nd half after getting a in bounds pass literally went way out of her way running sideways and chased down lowering her shoulder into Jessie not once but twice in the back court, and then to add insult to injury they called a foul on Jessie. That was the dirtiest play by far I saw all year with intent to injure another player.

And #05 Holland was dishing out shoulders and a elbow underneath the basket also in the 2nd half, and getting away with it also.
    It was against K-11, not jessie, but yes, that foul was unbelievable.

If you go to the spokesman-review article they have a picture gallery with lots of game pics. One of the pics is of K-11, immediately after the foul was called, looking directly at the ref with her hands up, asking what she did. Yes we all want to know what she did. Offense initiated unnecessary contact, should have been a foul on Holland.

Spokesman-review Link: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...out-saint-mar/

ZagDad

Cudos to Jenn and LeeAnne Wirth they looked unstoppable in the paint tonight.

Congratulations to CLF and staff they had the Lady Zags firing on all cylinders out the gate tonight.

Really like Katie taking different shots within the 3 point line tonight and nailing them. Katie Campbell really showed a well rounded game tonight.

All the Lady Zags looked great tonight and way to lock down SMC on defense in the 1st half wow 12 points that was priceless. Thanks again for the Blowout ladies I will definitely remember this one!

CG3dad I think it was around beginning of 2016 where women were allowed to join all combat jobs in the service. Thanks for your daughters service in USMC. Ditto on Christian and Patriot.

Well this Senior Citizen just got done snow shoveling for 3 hours straight. And I am T-I-R-E-D and my back is B-A-R-K-I-N-G. And yes Snow Shoveling is my only Winter Sport (LOL).
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 01-10-2020 at 07:33 PM.