Thread: Urban Dictionary Word or Phrase of the Day

Default Urban Dictionary Word or Phrase of the Day

hedgehog's dilemma
    The phrase hedgehog's dilemma refers to the notion that:

(1) The closer two beings come to one another in a relationship, the more likely it might be for them to inflict psychological pain on each other
    (2) Yet if they remain apart, they each might feel the roughly-equivalent (psychological) pain of loneliness.

This notion comes from the conjecture that hedgehogs, with sharp spines on their backs, might hurt each other if they get too close. It is a character trait believed to be possessed by some individuals, in real life as well as in works of fiction, sometimes causing anti-social behaviours, often allegedly caused by an unpleasant past experience of intimate relationships. A person who suffers from the hedgehog's dilemma will usually avoid becoming too close or involved with someone, due to fear of another similar, possibly painful, experience, such as they had experienced in the past.
    Porcupines are a better example of the hedgehog's dilemma due to their commonly known dangerously sharp spines. As you can imagine, getting too close to them will provoke them and might force a few spines in you in self defense.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

I know that "raw dog" is not undercooked labradoodle, nor a noun, come to think of it.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I had my own hedgehog dilemma. My middle son loves any and all furry little creatures but I'm pretty anti-pet so he just gets to read about them and collect them in stuffed animal form. Well, I thought I was pretty smart and going to one up myself by buying littlest brother a hedgehog costume (thank you Target after Halloween clearance!). What's better than a stuffed animal, one that moves and cuddles up to you right?! Nope. 6 year old was extremely jealous that little brother got the costume and it didn't come in his size, tears were shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    I had my own hedgehog dilemma. My middle son loves any and all furry little creatures but I'm pretty anti-pet so he just gets to read about them and collect them in stuffed animal form. Well, I thought I was pretty smart and going to one up myself by buying littlest brother a hedgehog costume (thank you Target after Halloween clearance!). What's better than a stuffed animal, one that moves and cuddles up to you right?! Nope. 6 year old was extremely jealous that little brother got the costume and it didn't come in his size, tears were shed.
    When I was a kid...decades ago, we lived on the Air Force base at Dreux, France. They were rearing down a quonset hut and I found a hedgehog. What a cute little creature!
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Default Virtue Signalling

To take a conspicuous but essentially useless action ostensibly to support a good cause but actually to show off how much more moral you are than everybody else.

Fred: I see George has changed his profile picture to show his support for refugees.
    Barbara: Has he donated money or time? Is he giving English lessons? Is he making a room available?
    Fred: No, no, he's just virtue signalling.
    I donít think I had heard this term before a recent discussion regarding recruiting on the MBB. Lo and behold, it was the Urban Dictionary word of the day for January 3rd.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I don’t think I had heard this term before a recent discussion regarding recruiting on the MBB. Lo and behold, it was the Urban Dictionary word of the day for January 3rd.
    It is highly charged politically, which you also saw in the response.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Nickelback CD. n A frisbee that looks like a CD.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...ickelback%20CD