Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggs "Zags Up," Announces Gonzaga Commit. . .

I wish Suggs said University of Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    I wish Suggs said University of Gonzaga.

Then he would be "mimicking" someone else. I see what you did there.

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by WRHUradio View Post
    I would say that the entire board realizes by now that the Coaching staff is so on top of this that they have Plan's B-C-D thought about months ago. I don't see any negative, while yes there was some grandstanding, it was tasteful and nothing out of the ordinary out of other top 10 player commitment announcements.

good article
    https://www.twincities.com/2020/01/0...ts-to-gonzaga/
    ^ this. Hey, as fans, let's act like we've been there. (I know we haven't had an official top 10 commit before today, but come on, let's try to pretend like we belong?)

Welcome to Zagville Mr. Suggs. I hope your stay is fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

GREAT Video. again, this is like a commercial, regardless of whatever happens, I still feel good about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUaFWNI6oac

I just watched the interview and people on here criticizing him over the overseas comments are just being silly and foolish.....the kid just broke the news about choosing the Zags and then all he did was respond to the reporters question about possibly going overseas....he was being honest and it sounded like he is excited about being a Zag...but I also think that if some team offers him "foolish money" that he might take it...as would EVERY single person being critical about his comments!!! Please watch the video before making such ignorant comments!!!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

I would say that the entire board realizes by now that the Coaching staff is so on top of this that they have Plan's B-C-D thought about months ago.[/url]
    I can’t say that I see any of these alternative plans at the moment. Genuinely curious about what other point guards are currently being considered and who another offer might be given that we desperately need more point guard depth.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    I just watched the interview and people on here criticizing him over the overseas comments are just being silly and foolish.....the kid just broke the news about choosing the Zags and then all he did was respond to the reporters question about possibly going overseas....he was being honest and it sounded like he is excited about being a Zag...but I also think that if some team offers him "foolish money" that he might take it...as would EVERY single person being critical about his comments!!! Please watch the video before making such ignorant comments!!!
    Well said. If he gets offered a ton of cash, good for him. I am still convinced he will be a Zag next season.

GREAT Video. again, this is like a commercial, regardless of whatever happens, I still feel good about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUaFWNI6oac
    Seriously, this kind of exposure is worth big time money, purely from a marketing standpoint.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Murphy- to answer your Q, the answer about other PG's for 2021 would be in some order;
    - Grad Transfer market. Trust me, they already know 8-10 possible grad transfer PG's that could be avail
    - Domestic Spring 2020 signee, a late bloomer, perhaps coaching change elsewhere and a free agent pops up
    -Harris plays PG, but another ballhandler would absolutely be needed anyway even with Ayayi on the roster
    -International PG.

They are recruiting even when it would seem like there would be no reason to recruit.

Don't get me wrong, totally happy he chose GU. You can't take away the fact that if he chooses the college route it will be at Gonzaga. Suggs was very complimentary of Few and the GU program. He has the potential to be a NCAA championship PG. There are just too many red flags with this commitment to put all our eggs in this basket. I'm sure Suggs will make the best decision for him and his family, and I hope things work out the same for the basketball family at GU.

It’s sad that prior to his commitment some well respected members of this community felt the need to remind posters to remain classy if Jalen did not commit to GU, only to have many of the same people still cry and complain that a top 10, 5 star recruit chose GU over essentially any other university.

If he wants to be honest and say his family will still listen to offers to be paid to play, all the power to him. If he actually does get an offer than can truly impact his life and his family, god bless him. If he doesn’t, he chose GU and we will have an incredible talent suiting up for us. This is a positive even if Jalen doesn’t ultimately come, although I believe he will.

The reaction to the commitment of the highest ranked recruit in program history and labeling/belittling a high school student on the likely the biggest decision of his life thus far would be comical if it wasn’t so genuinely sad

Murphy- to answer your Q, the answer about other PG's for 2021 would be in some order;
    - Grad Transfer market. Trust me, they already know 8-10 possible grad transfer PG's that could be avail
    - Domestic Spring 2020 signee, a late bloomer, perhaps coaching change elsewhere and a free agent pops up
    -Harris plays PG, but another ballhandler would absolutely be needed anyway even with Ayayi on the roster
    -International PG.

They are recruiting even when it would seem like there would be no reason to recruit.
    Thank you!!

Man, if Few loses Suggs to overseas that would be another major disappointment in a long string of PG disasters.

Brock Ravet, Greg Foster, Jesse Wade. We haven’t had a PG high school recruit stick since 2014: Josh Perkins. Pretty incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by jayray View Post
    I’d imagine this to be the case as well if he is as good as people say he is but are players really cashing in on these endorsements now? How much are they getting? I’d imagine a Zion type player would be able to make great grand kid millionaire type money before even stepping on an NBA court.
    We have definitely put all of our eggs in the Suggs basket. I would personally rather have had Nix than all of this broohaha, but glad Suggs chose us. Still there is a reason Duke and Kentucky weren't knocking on his door.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    We have definitely put all of our eggs in the Suggs basket. I would personally rather have had Nix than all of this broohaha, but glad Suggs chose us. Still there is a reason Duke and Kentucky weren't knocking on his door.
    He honestly did not have the typical names that a top 10 recruit usually has. Is that because most of them did not want to waste their time with someone that was strongly considering overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    He honestly did not have the typical names that a top 10 recruit usually has. Is that because most of them did not want to waste their time with someone that was strongly considering overseas?
    perhaps it was because Kentucky and Duke are not ideal choices for a dual-sport Football/Basketball athlete?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Here's a nice video taken later this evening in another interview about why he chose Gonzaga!

https://twitter.com/KREMKarthik/stat...20011458080768
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    I can’t say that I see any of these alternative plans at the moment. Genuinely curious about what other point guards are currently being considered and who another offer might be given that we desperately need more point guard depth.
    I fully expect Suggs to be a Zag. That being said we will try to add a grad transfer for depth as well. Suggs needs a million plus to go overseas and that's not happening.

Fantastic news.

In his reveal I think he spoke honestly about where he was in his career decisions and had a professional approach to the business of college basketball. That's all you can ask for and I don't understand the blow back. When you get recruits ranked top 10 in the nation, it comes with some pageantry.

There are no sure things with these kids so just enjoy the potential for now.

3 players committed listed in the ESPN Top 100 for 2020. GU is now ranked the 7th overall recruiting class. It's just amazing.

Better to have a verbal from this guy than not.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Better to have a verbal from this guy than not.
    Exactly! If he would have said “Florida State” etc., then I would be upset. As of now, Suggs is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Bottom line. I hold Gonzaga to a very high regard and although I know recruiting is a filthy but necessary business, this kind of half arse commitment is an affront to Few, the program and the school. Out.
    Dont you have some drying paint to yell at? Good god.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I fully expect Suggs to be a Zag. That being said we will try to add a grad transfer for depth as well. Suggs needs a million plus to go overseas and that's not happening.
    If he needs $1mill plus, then I agree it is not happening. For those on the board not familiar with the Australian league, please note that I believe the goal for the league is to have each team valued at approximately $9mill+ in the next few years. Think about that.... the hope is that the value of a team for sale would be approximately $9mill. They aren’t paying $1mill out to a 17yr old unless the facts I was told are simply no longer accurate.

If ever a thread was made in heaven for Jazz, this is it. Aftermath be damned. Enjoy it while you can, Chico.

Sometimes I wonder if Jazz was thwarted in his attempt to live his dream as a sports radio blowhard, so now he comes to the boards to ply his trade.

If he has used the Zags to try and create some kind of leverage to get an extra $50K out of some sorry professional AUS franchise then I'll be disappointed too. Until then, we can be happy securing the highest verbal commit in our history.

The curious thing, for me anyways, is why FSU and Minnesota were his next best options. Where were the blue bloods?