Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Suggs "Zags Up," Announces Gonzaga Commit. . .

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    In addition to Geno you can't underestimate the contribution of Jeremy Jones, who hosted Jalen during his official visit. His parents (as well as Strawther's) LOVED Jeremy ... and both sets of parents could envision their sons as part of the Gonzaga family. At least that's what they conveyed after that Saturday night 94-46 blowout of SMC at Jack and Dan's ... while at a table with Tommy and an alum (or two).

Here's a link to the pretty cool SR recap of their recruiting visit. Please note that the story doesn't include the snippet of info above (which was during an hour long private ... but meaningful conversation). https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-visit-to-cam/
    LOL

Jeremy Jones hosted his stay?

The same Jeremy Jones who cold calls the coaches and actually sounds like the parent talking for the kid? The one who played QB for the Harvard of Texas? The one more mature than most fans? HE hosted Suggs?

Wily Mark Few.

Now we know their secret! Put the best kids with the best kids.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    LOL

Jeremy Jones hosted his stay?[...]

Now we know their secret! Put the best kids with the best kids.
    I have the same kind of respect and admiration for Jones that you do. It has been fun to see posts of his trickle through on Twitter. He is a great Zag.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    In addition to Geno you can't underestimate the contribution of Jeremy Jones, who hosted Jalen during his official visit. His parents (as well as Strawther's) LOVED Jeremy ... and both sets of parents could envision their sons as part of the Gonzaga family. At least that's what they conveyed after that Saturday night 94-46 blowout of SMC at Jack and Dan's ... while at a table with Tommy and an alum (or two).

Here's a link to the pretty cool SR recap of their recruiting visit. Please note that the story doesn't include the snippet of info above (which was during an hour long private ... but meaningful conversation). https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-visit-to-cam/
    Can't say enough about the kind of community Gonzaga has been able to together over the years, and how it's continued to bear fruit in recruiting.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

thanks for the links to the interviews

I'm with Mick Mick on this one too

I expect Jalen will do what is best for him and his family, whatever that is, as he should

he sounded genuinely pumped to play for Few

I just watched both the video with ESPN last night. Stupid question by the ESPN announcer. Also watched the interview after the game with the local media. Anyway I love everything I heard from the kid. So impressive in the moment I thought. And the highlights from last night game of him are so great. He looks like an amazing player. Wow. Welcome to Gonzaga Jalen and to your entire family. So glad we have ya with us.

Quote Originally Posted by demian View Post
    I just watched both the video with ESPN last night. Stupid question by the ESPN announcer.
    it's just so typical, and always makes me wonder who might have put that type of question in the basket, the interviewer or someone else for whatever reasons

thought the teenager handled it tho, pretty cool head

It’s a great get whether he sticks or not. He extolled the virtues of Gonzaga basketball right on national TV, said Few is the best coach in the country and GU gives him the best chance to develop. Whatever you think of his holding out the possibility of opting for a foreign pro contract, he picked GU as his college preference and said really nice things about the program and his prospective teammates. That’s good enough for me. Thank you and welcome, Jalen!
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Some of us think " Gonzaga first " but every player has to think of themselves first and Gonzaga second. Keep themselves open to what is in their best self interest. Great get, welcome Jalen. With us it usually best to have them put team first which is in their best self interest.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    And I know many are worried about the pro route, but like I have repeatedly said in the Whelping Box is Suggs will be a Zag, he is not going overseas.
    I wish more people would listen to you Caldy. You've always nailed the information you put on this board. Looking forward to seeing Suggs play next year!

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    This would be great for the Zags to establish strong connections in Minnesota because the state has been producing a lot of high end talent in recent years.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We got at least one good one in years past: Sam Dower.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    A comment I made earlier may be an ignorant one that was gracefully ignored, but Suggs mentioned wanting to help recruit Banchero and Holmgren to play here. They are juniors, so unless they are reclassifying, the tea leaves suggest to me that he is planning for two years with GU (although I wouldn’t anticipate him staying if he gets a lot of positive NBA draft feedback after a year).
    You could be right but I took it to mean he is invested in the success of Gonzaga even beyond his time as a player, like many Zags before him.
    Agent provocateur

He was wearing some great Zag sneakers tonight in their game. Pictures were on Twitter and I don't know how to attach them, but they were pretty cool.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by demian View Post
    I just watched both the video with ESPN last night. Stupid question by the ESPN announcer. Also watched the interview after the game with the local media. Anyway I love everything I heard from the kid. So impressive in the moment I thought. And the highlights from last night game of him are so great. He looks like an amazing player. Wow. Welcome to Gonzaga Jalen and to your entire family. So glad we have ya with us.
    great post, Demian. I see the same thing.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Here's a pick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Big win for Jalen and Minnehaha against Sierra Canyon by 20. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRAziT8KVZQ

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Hey thanks dad

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Hey thanks dad

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    You could be right but I took it to mean he is invested in the success of Gonzaga even beyond his time as a player, like many Zags before him.
    That would be more than alright, too.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Here's a pick

Nice .... I'm beginning to warm up to having such a highly ranked prospect at GU. Even if he's very likely to only be around a season he's already supporting the program in a pretty big way and a year before he's in the thick of it.

Saw the highlight video and that full court pass he made against Sierre Canyon was breathtaking.

Its one thing to throw a football, but I would think a basketball might be a bit harder to control.

He has a tenaciousness that will be infectious to those around him.

Jalen may be a "one-and-done", but something is better than nothing, right? Mike Bibby left the U of A after two years, and look what he did for that program.
    UNITED WE ZAG, BAY-BEE, UNITED WE ZAG

Jalen had 23 pts 12 rbs 6 asst and 6 steals last night.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    Jalen had 23 pts 12 rbs 6 asst and 6 steals last night.
    And looked good doing it !!! The announcers stated over and over how hard of worker he is. We are fortunate to have this kid.

Don't you think we are forgetting something when it come to Suggs and his flirtation with a potential pro contract? With all the years of recruiting international kids, our program has to have a fair amount of experience with helping/advising/addressing the pros and cons of college versus the pro route to the NBA. This isn't new ground for Few and Lloyd regarding recruits in general. Maybe with American recruits but not recruits overall. We have players on the team that can explain to him why they chose the college route versus a pro contract and staying in Europe as well as pros in the NBA (Sabonis) that can say, "Stay in school." Hardly anyone has hit it big yet choosing the pro route out of high school yet. I expect to see the Tricky Trio suited up at the next Kraziness in the Kennel in October.

I am a bit concerned we haven't heard from Dom. Maybe I missed it, but haven't seen so much as a tweet from him regarding Suggs announcement. Don't want to read too much into it, but it seems curious.