Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Suggs "Zags Up," Announces Gonzaga Commit. . .

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post

The curious thing, for me anyways, is why FSU and Minnesota were his next best options. Where were the blue bloods?
    Kentucky and Duke already have 6 Top 100 recruits committed for 2020 (4 5-star, 2 4-star) and UNC has 5 (3 5-star, 2 4-star). Maybe they just didn't need him.

If he has used the Zags to try and create some kind of leverage to get an extra $50K out of some sorry professional AUS franchise then I'll be disappointed too. Until then, we can be happy securing the highest verbal commit in our history.

The curious thing, for me anyways, is why FSU and Minnesota were his next best options. Where were the blue bloods?
    It was pretty well known from the very early stages that Jalen was coming to Gonzaga. Really no other team has recruited him for nearly 5 months.

And I know many are worried about the pro route, but like I have repeatedly said in the Whelping Box is Suggs will be a Zag, he is not going overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    I just watched the interview and people on here criticizing him over the overseas comments are just being silly and foolish.....the kid just broke the news about choosing the Zags and then all he did was respond to the reporters question about possibly going overseas....he was being honest and it sounded like he is excited about being a Zag...but I also think that if some team offers him "foolish money" that he might take it...as would EVERY single person being critical about his comments!!! Please watch the video before making such ignorant comments!!!
    That is exactly my sentiment. I donít know how anyone could listen to a 17 year old kid answer questions for 15 minutes like that video and not see an exceptionally articulate, self aware, thoughtful person. He did not come across with any of the negative characteristics that some here are attributing to him. Iím pretty good at reading people and that was not an act. Heís a pretty amazing young person, thoughtful beyond his years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We arenít allowed to be positive. Negativity is the only thing where people get ton exercise freedom of speech... at
    least according to some. Crazy that zags gets a top 10 recruit and people find reasons to complain.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Not following high level national high school basketball, and not following Suggs my only info on him had come from this board. I questioned earlier whether he could put team first. After seeing the video I'm at peace with this intelligent, articulate young man. It was the reporter who pushed on the overseas topic. I dont think that was Jalen's intent. I sensed too much respect for Few for Jalen to intentionally bring that up. Seems like a great kid.

Suggs to Ballo FTW...

Quote Originally Posted by WRHUradio View Post
    GREAT Video. again, this is like a commercial, regardless of whatever happens, I still feel good about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUaFWNI6oac
    Thanks for the link!

Welcome Jalen!
    Go Zags!!!

Shame on you naysayers... What?, The world isn't perfect for you... it's a game... we all love GU but to read some of the BS in this thread after the biggest commitment in GU history... it's freaking shameful...

A SIGN OF MATURITY IS KNOWING WHEN TO BE QUIET!!!

Welcome to GU Jalen... and Hoop City the best basketball community on the planet.... Welcome to the Zag Family....

Welcome Dom and Julian... Tricky Trio 4 THREE....

Go!! Zags !!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

If he has used the Zags to try and create some kind of leverage to get an extra $50K out of some sorry professional AUS franchise then I'll be disappointed too. Until then, we can be happy securing the highest verbal commit in our history.

It’s a play for a lot lot lot more IMO and who can blame him if he’s been honest with the staff. The long interview posted on page 3 shows a very impressive kid that respects the program and loves the city. I can’t wait to see him on the court.
    Go Zags!!!

Thanks for the videos.

1) super excited he committed to Gonzaga
    2) canít blame him if he gets serious money to play elsewhere, who wouldnít??
    3) no downside, imo
    4) love that he mentioned DH and JS to play with next year
    5) go zags

I appreciate his honesty. Very much so.

I appreciate it much more than, for example, a kid leaving the program without explanation to the media or fans on the eve of the first game of the season. Mr. Suggs gives an explanation and reasonable fans will accept that explanation. All transparent for everyone to see. I appreciate that Mr. Suggs.

Welcome aboard Mr. Suggs. Zag up.
    I miss Mike Hart

I'm fully committed unless something bigger shows up!! lololol No worries on this. We have Joel, Dom and Strawther even if Jalen finds a more suitable pathway. Great kid and good player. A long time ago I learned not to fawn over 17 yr olds. It's just not worth it. If he comes, he comes..if he doesn't, we're still in good shape. I'm not sweatin' it.

But wow, those guards with the bigs we have. Few may pull of a masterpiece this year. SO far I think he has but next year, we be mighty good.

Staff, coaches and players themselves have done an incredibly nice job. Again!. The GU story continues to expand. Like life, there's lots of turns and twists but the best thing always happens.

Gosh, I intently watched and listened to Jalen's interview live on ESPN2 and was favorably impressed with the young man. He was articulate and extremely complimentary to Gonzaga and Coach Few. I doubt he would have brought up the possibility of international ball in this setting; he was merely responding at the moment to the question presented to him. As I see it, the interviewer dumped cold water on the whole commitment decision by asking that question. It unnecessarily diminished the whole reason for the interview which was: To hear which basketball program Jalen was signing his commitment to.

After (and in spite of) reading every comment on this thread, I've decided to stay positive and happy about the signing commitment of Jalen Suggs to Gonzaga. This kid looks like he will be a great Zag!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    óKurt Vonnegut

Two things that sicken me:

1) One person on twitter suggested that Gonzaga "sold their soul" in landing Suggs, and suggested the only way they could've gotten him was by cheating (namely, paying him). It's apparent that some college basketball fans have no idea that GU has finished #1 or #2 in the NCAA's APR ratings the past 3 years for academic progress when it comes to their student athletes. Our student athletes are competing with the likes of Dartmouth, Harvard and Loyola Chicago.
    2) One person said on twitter how he or she couldn't understand how such a recruit could commit to a team from such a terrible league. I swear, these power 5 conference egomaniacs have no idea how many leagues there are in D-1 basketball. They are also unaware that GU has made 5 straight sweet 16's or better. Only 2 others squads have done that in the expanded bracket era. And with a subregional being located in Spokane (that GU can play at), a 6th straight sweet 16 or better seems reasonable.

I am still not overly concerned about his talk regarding overseas ball. Ultimately I just don't think anyone is going to offer him enough money. He can make much more in endorsements by teaming with Dom on a national title contender.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Two things that sicken me:

1) One person on twitter suggested that Gonzaga "sold their soul" in landing Suggs, and suggested the only way they could've gotten him was by cheating (namely, paying him). It's apparent that some college basketball fans have no idea that GU has finished #1 or #2 in the NCAA's APR ratings the past 3 years for academic progress when it comes to their student athletes. Our student athletes are competing with the likes of Dartmouth, Harvard and Loyola Chicago.
    2) One person said on twitter how he or she couldn't understand how such a recruit could commit to a team from such a terrible league. I swear, these power 5 conference egomaniacs have no idea how many leagues there are in D-1 basketball. They are also unaware that GU has made 5 straight sweet 16's or better. Only 2 others squads have done that in the expanded bracket era. And with a subregional being located in Spokane (that GU can play at), a 6th straight sweet 16 or better seems reasonable.

I am still not overly concerned about his talk regarding overseas ball. Ultimately I just don't think anyone is going to offer him enough money. He can make much more in endorsements by teaming with Dom on a national title contender.
    CDC, about 90% of the content on Twitter is sickening. I am a free speech absolutist but might be persuadable w/r/t shutting that megaphone for morons down. Brings out the worst in the species.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I appreciate his honesty. Very much so.

I appreciate it much more than, for example, a kid leaving the program without explanation to the media or fans on the eve of the first game of the season. Mr. Suggs gives an explanation and reasonable fans will accept that explanation. All transparent for everyone to see. I appreciate that Mr. Suggs.

Welcome aboard Mr. Suggs. Zag up.
    Those were my thoughts. I’m sure that this young man and his family have been up front with the Gonzaga coaching staff about this decision process. To me, this feels no different than the decision-making process that players make while they are already playing college ball. Players routinely test the NBA draft waters to determine if a pro option is in their best interest. Some return to school. Others follow their dreams to an early professional career. We don’t begrudge them that opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by WRHUradio View Post
    GREAT Video. again, this is like a commercial, regardless of whatever happens, I still feel good about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUaFWNI6oac
    Iíve deleted my earlier comment after watching this video. My apologies to Jalen Suggs; he comes across as a very genuine, likeable, honest and earnest young man. Yeah, I wish the overseas option never got mentioned by him during his ESPN announcement but the dude is being transparent and honest so who am I to judge him for that?

Rejoice ZagNation!! We are looking at a 2020-21 lineup of possibly:
    Kispert, Ayayi, Timme, Watson, Arlauskas, Zakharov returning scholarship players (Petrusev likely gone I assume)
    Harris, Strawther, Suggs, Ballo newcomers to D1

This is incredible. Seeking out an extra PG is probably smart move by Zags for depth but Iím good with these 10 as is too.

Littles/Wings: Ayayi, Kispert, Suggs, Harris, Strawther, Arlauskas
    Bigs: Ballo, Timme, Watson, Zakharov

Thatís a squad.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Congrats Jalen, you made a wise choice. I hope CH makes a wise choice also.

Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by OCzag View Post
    Itís sad that prior to his commitment some well respected members of this community felt the need to remind posters to remain classy if Jalen did not commit to GU, only to have many of the same people still cry and complain that a top 10, 5 star recruit chose GU over essentially any other university.

If he wants to be honest and say his family will still listen to offers to be paid to play, all the power to him. If he actually does get an offer than can truly impact his life and his family, god bless him. If he doesnít, he chose GU and we will have an incredible talent suiting up for us. This is a positive even if Jalen doesnít ultimately come, although I believe he will.

The reaction to the commitment of the highest ranked recruit in program history and labeling/belittling a high school student on the likely the biggest decision of his life thus far would be comical if it wasnít so genuinely sad
    Well Said

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    It was pretty well known from the very early stages that Jalen was coming to Gonzaga. Really no other team has recruited him for nearly 5 months.
    No blue bloods recruited Jalen hard in the last calendar year because he was such a heavy Gonzaga lean. Minnesota continued to recruit him somewhat because they are obviously the local school and perhaps dangled football as well. FSU usually remains on many lists because FSU likes to pay recruits. In this specific instance though, Gonzaga was always the landings spot and therefore nobody really pushed for Jalen.

Regarding the pro route, I'm not too worried. All he has to do is look at the Zags that are now in the NBA: Collins, Olynyk, Sabonis, Rui, Clarke, et al. The paths these young men took were different, except for one thing: their personal and professional development occurred at Gonzaga, a special place with special people.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    Kentucky and Duke already have 6 Top 100 recruits committed for 2020 (4 5-star, 2 4-star) and UNC has 5 (3 5-star, 2 4-star). Maybe they just didn't need him.
    All of that sounds great and all, except I don't know how one is a "fan" of those teams when so many of the kids are just churned every single year. I just don't get it where every single year, your biggest star is someone you don't know.

Maybe I am being too simplistic. Maybe there are many multi-year players with all the teams, or maybe it's easy to fall in love quickly.

But I don't get it.

Until you get to say good-bye to a bunch of Pangos-Perkins-Karnos-Tillie/Kisperts, stars that are there a long time, it seems "weird."
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Congrats, Jalen. Excited to see your star rise at Gonzaga next year.

As far as Suggsí college options, I think he is just a different kind of guy with different priorities. It makes the overseas option kinda odd to me (and makes all of the mentions of his parents driving the bus on that make a lot of sense).