Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Suggs "Zags Up," Announces Gonzaga Commit. . .

Now that he is committed to GU how long before he becomes a 4*? Congrats to GU and Jalen.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Not following high level national high school basketball, and not following Suggs my only info on him had come from this board. I questioned earlier whether he could put team first. After seeing the video I'm at peace with this intelligent, articulate young man. It was the reporter who pushed on the overseas topic. I dont think that was Jalen's intent. I sensed too much respect for Few for Jalen to intentionally bring that up. Seems like a great kid.
    It was encouraging to me that he talked about trying to help recruit two high school juniors (Paolo and Chet), which says to me that he at least is on a 2-year plan with Gonzaga, unless both are planning on reclassifying.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I appreciate his honesty. Very much so.

I appreciate it much more than, for example, a kid leaving the program without explanation to the media or fans on the eve of the first game of the season. Mr. Suggs gives an explanation and reasonable fans will accept that explanation. All transparent for everyone to see. I appreciate that Mr. Suggs.

Welcome aboard Mr. Suggs. Zag up.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I feel like the title of this thread should be

"Welcome Jalen Suggs?"
    This is perfect
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Thanks Caldwell for managing his thread in the whelping box and keeping me coming back for updates!

https://www.fox9.com/video/641122

Sorry if posted, extended interview...seems like such a level headed good kid.

At some point this Spokanite GU grad and Zags BB fan’s enthusiasm for the team will wain if it becomes a revolving door to the pros with no graduates. Then it’s not so much of a school team as it is a pro preparatory program attached to a school for mutually beneficial financial reasons. Maybe pro teams ought to adopt universities where a player can obtain a higher salary if they earn a degree. Or, have the 2nd half of games limited to players committing to a four year degree program. All this hype and conjecture over a kid who’s yet to play a Zags game is a bit over the top (for me). Suggs sure seems like a great kid. I hope Suggs gets to play for the Zags and benefits from the experience - even if it is for a single season. However, I’m personally more excited about players who develop into pro prospects while at GU than beforehand. I personally just can’t get very excited about one and dones. Dreaming on .... if Spokane had a NBA team full of ex-Zags I could feel differently.

End of ‘rant’
    Go Zags! Beat Pepperdine!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Suggs leads to Chet and that's a sweet get.

Quote Originally Posted by WRHUradio View Post
    GREAT Video. again, this is like a commercial, regardless of whatever happens, I still feel good about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUaFWNI6oac
    Thank you for posting that video link, WRHU.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    At some point this Spokanite GU grad and Zags BB fan’s enthusiasm for the team will wain if it becomes a revolving door to the pros with no graduates. Then it’s not so much of a school team as it is a pro preparatory program attached to a school for mutually beneficial financial reasons. Maybe pro teams ought to adopt universities where a player can obtain a higher salary if they earn a degree. Or, have the 2nd half of games limited to players committing to a four year degree program. All this hype and conjecture over a kid who’s yet to play a Zags game is a bit over the top (for me). Suggs sure seems like a great kid. I hope Suggs gets to play for the Zags and benefits from the experience - even if it is for a single season. However, I’m personally more excited about players who develop into pro prospects while at GU than beforehand. I personally just can’t get very excited about one and dones. Dreaming on .... if Spokane had a NBA team full of ex-Zags I could feel differently.

End of ‘rant’
    I understand your position and think there is something to be said about developing attachments to players who are play multiple years. However, I’m not sure GU will turn into a Kentucky or UNC in terms of one and dones and, I’m hoping, we Are a hitting a nice sweet spot where we get some Uber talented players consistently. I don’t believe it’s a coincidence that our only FF also had our only one and done - although it also contained a stable of amazing mutli year players too

Genuinely asking - do you feel that way about the 2017 team? Maybe it’s because they were the first to get to a FF, but I love all the players on that team, especially Nigel and Zach who only played one year.

End of ‘rant’
    Not a rant at all. Good thoughts added to the discussion.

Welcome Jalen Suggs!! My hope and wish is that like a lot of us he finds that the decision to attend Gonzaga is one of the best of his life.

To the naysayers, especially those critical of Jalen directly, you should be ashamed of yourselves. He was asked a question and answered it honestly and thoughtfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    Quit virtue signaling. Nothing said here has been bad.
    Calling Jalen a “con man” is not bad?

End of ‘rant’
    Don't fret about it so much. Schools like UNC and even Duke are a mix of one and dones and 3-4 year players. Don't see a reason why GU would be any different. What the Zags will never be is like Kentucky. THAT is literally what you are describing. I could never see Few or GU going that route. It isn't like our top players now stick around all 4 years. Domas, Adam, Rui, Olynyk all left early. Heck, without the injuries, Tills wouldn't be here either.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

That was obviously a planted question and this was a plan of both announcing his decision, trying to improve his national prominence, and finally, use leverage to increase his offers from abroad. I can't say he failed at any of those goals, but you can understand people being a little salty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    That was obviously a planted question and this was a plan of both announcing his decision, trying to improve his national prominence, and finally, use leverage to increase his offers from abroad. I can't say he failed at any of those goals, but you can understand people being a little salty.
    Or TV people trying to be provocative and stir up controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Welcome Jalen Suggs!! My hope and wish is that like a lot of us he finds that the decision to attend Gonzaga is one of the best of his life.

To the naysayers, especially those critical of Jalen directly, you should be ashamed of yourselves. He was asked a question and answered it honestly and thoughtfully.
    Like this pithy summary of what I believe is the feeling of Zag Nation.

The whiners are a handful of congenital naysayers that revel in being contrarian. Studies show that anonymous blog forums attract negative and snarky comments way out of proportion to views of general audience.

I sincerely wonder how Coach Few and Staff genuinely feel about the professional/overseas considerations?

Obviously they are excited about his commitment yet curious how this impacts them, their recruiting for next season (potential grad transfer market), and the plan going forward.

Probably consider it 'nature of the beast', yet must be unsettling as a staff to plan for your future STARTING PG in limbo for next season.

For instance, a potential high level grad transfer (Woolridge) it could make or break their decision to come to GU.

Risk vs Reward when it comes to players of this caliber I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCZAG View Post
    Suggs leads to Chet and that's a sweet get.

The future's so bright, I have to wear 'shades. Welcome to the Zags family Mr. Suggs!

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    All of that sounds great and all, except I don't know how one is a "fan" of those teams when so many of the kids are just churned every single year. I just don't get it where every single year, your biggest star is someone you don't know.

Maybe I am being too simplistic. Maybe there are many multi-year players with all the teams, or maybe it's easy to fall in love quickly.

But I don't get it.

Until you get to say good-bye to a bunch of Pangos-Perkins-Karnos-Tillie/Kisperts, stars that are there a long time, it seems "weird."
    Did you love Goss, Brandon, Woolridge, etc any less since they were only here for 1 year? What about Collins who left after one year. I sure enjoyed seeing him at the Portland game rooting for the Zags, getting some TV time and some good press.

Coach Few and staff have consistently proven over the years that they have recruited not only for talent, but for character as well. I believe this is no exception.

So, how did we get here?

Basically the press conference boiled down to Jalen saying he would grace Spokane with his presence if this Australia thing doesn't work out.

The mistake made by Jalen and his family is not anticipating that the press would not participate in what they perceived to be a celebration and actually ask questions. What Jalen's people did was back themselves into a corner by setting a date and not resolving the pro options before announcing his college preference. If he had taken care of that, the question the ESPN jock asked could have been definitively answered with, "I explored all my options including the professional route and decided that Gonzaga was the best path forward for me."

I'm of the belief Jalen will play for Gonzaga. This PR snafu didn't need to happen. I'd bet he is a great kid, but he got bad advice.

A summary of thoughts further reading the thread....

Thinking about what else makes me feel really good about this instead of having any negative connotations the way a few posters have had...

Suggs comes across great as a young man at 17 years old and clearly comes from a great family, just like Dom Harris does, very well grounded and appearing like he can handle all the things coming at him daily, which is a LOT that could be a distraction that we've seen bury other high level athletes that are in their 20s.

I didnt know anything about Minnehaha Academy until I read more about it, and the more I read about it, the more I feel GREAT about Suggs' character. No matter what level of a player Suggs turns out to be- a 1 and done, or a 4-year guy that doesnt pan out to the hype, he will still be an extremely positive impact on a team and program and community due to his character. Again, not all top 10 guys are like this, some would sulk, or transfer 3 times and fall off the face of the earth. I feel you can take it to the bank that Suggs is very much genuine about talking about and WORKING towards the concept of winning BIG while working on his individual game, and it seems that he considers winning to be a part of his individual skill set. Again, how many Top 100 players qualify that as part of their skill set??

Another aspect that I feel people should feel great about and calm their complains about- He is a true 17 years old from an outstanding HS community and very grounded family. The Family is just doing their due diligence on every option. Look at the due diligence they did on vetting Gonzaga and Mark Few. Suggs even mentioned the kinds of Bigs Gonzaga has in the program next year. They couldve easily just recruited any Name Power 5 program and called it a day based on sneaker or conference affiliation and size of fan base and called it a day. They didnt, they showed they truly researched a great FIT.
    I suspect Mr. Suggs is very good at shopping for cars and getting a great deal and not worrying if its Mercedes or Lexus and instead what is the best total package

By the time it's grad transfer season, (April 1) I think the staff will know which direction this will go. It is the nature of the beast. You either want to eat lunch at this table, or the other table that many other programs have to. These are 1st world college basketball problems.

I agree with what you said Markburn1, but if you listen to the interview, he said that he "was" considering the pro route. He tried to deflect it IMO and it was never brought up by him. Yes it would have been nice if he totally squashed it.

Basketball is going to be a job for him. He just accepted his 1st position.

When I was in the military, I had committed to be a Survival Instructor in the Air Force. I was enlisted and not going to be making much money, basically similar to the college stipend that the players receive. But I got room and board, a great education, amazing benefits, etc..... However, if at the last minute they offered me an officer commision flying F15s, I would have taken it.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Did you love Goss, Brandon, Woolridge, etc any less since they were only here for 1 year? What about Collins who left after one year. I sure enjoyed seeing him at the Portland game rooting for the Zags, getting some TV time and some good press.
    Goss and Brandon were both 2 years with GU, 2 years as students, 2 years practicing with the team, improving with the team, and making the team improve. Goss earned a Bachelor's degree, and I believe BC did as well. Neither wanted to stay to work on a masters and have a 3rd year unpaid when they could make millions. It's true that as fans who watch on TV we only saw them for 1, but transferring to a university and being required to sit out for a year before playing is a choice that implies a longer-term commitment both to a school and to doing the "reps" behind the scenes. In some ways it's the opposite of a high-schooler implying that they are shopping for the highest publicity 6-month route to the NBA. (and I'm not saying Suggs is doing that).

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    I sincerely wonder how Coach Few and Staff genuinely feel about the professional/overseas considerations?

Obviously they are excited about his commitment yet curious how this impacts them, their recruiting for next season (potential grad transfer market), and the plan going forward.

Probably consider it 'nature of the beast', yet must be unsettling as a staff to plan for your future STARTING PG in limbo for next season.

For instance, a potential high level grad transfer (Woolridge) it could make or break their decision to come to GU.

Risk vs Reward when it comes to players of this caliber I suppose.
    This is not - at all - directed at Suggs, or any other player coming out of high school signed with us or anyone else, just generally speaking, I get more excited about the Sr. Grad transfers we have had lately than the one and done possibilities (we've only had one real frosh do it).

The one and dones are awfully young, awfully hyped, and awfully close to "pro" before even signing.

The grad transfers are much more grown men - relative - college grads, proven, and grateful for the huge opportunity.

That has nothing to do with Suggs, at all. More of a compliment to the wonderful "men" who came through the door for years now.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.