Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Suggs "Zags Up," Announces Gonzaga Commit. . .

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    Fantastic news.

In his reveal I think he spoke honestly about where he was in his career decisions and had a professional approach to the business of college basketball. That's all you can ask for and I don't understand the blow back. When you get recruits ranked top 10 in the nation, it comes with some pageantry.

There are no sure things with these kids so just enjoy the potential for now.

3 players committed listed in the ESPN Top 100 for 2020. GU is now ranked the 7th overall recruiting class. It's just amazing.
    Exactly! I'm super excited about Suggs! He made a fantastic choice, and I appreciate his honesty. Much better than simply disappearing on the eve of the first game of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    This is not - at all - directed at Suggs, or any other player coming out of high school signed with us or anyone else, just generally speaking, I get more excited about the Sr. Grad transfers we have had lately than the one and done possibilities (we've only had one real frosh do it).

The one and dones are awfully young, awfully hyped, and awfully close to "pro" before even signing.

The grad transfers are much more grown men - relative - college grads, proven, and grateful for the huge opportunity.

That has nothing to do with Suggs, at all. More of a compliment to the wonderful "men" who came through the door for years now.
    The Gonzaga coaching staff has done a remarkable job with roster construction over the past few years. They have landed a good mix of players who were destined to develop on campus for 3-5 years (Pangos, Bell, Perkins, Melson, Kispert, Hachimura) with players who were destined to be shorter term players (Sabonis, Collins). They have recruited good players straight out of high school, but mixed in excellent veterans from the transfer market (Williams-Goss, Clare), and a strong pipeline of international talent. I don’t think Gonzaga could build a sustainable Top Ten program with recruits from just one source. This next class will have the best high school talent in program history. The class after that might have more grad tranfers.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    This is not - at all - directed at Suggs, or any other player coming out of high school signed with us or anyone else, just generally speaking, I get more excited about the Sr. Grad transfers we have had lately than the one and done possibilities (we've only had one real frosh do it).

The one and dones are awfully young, awfully hyped, and awfully close to "pro" before even signing.

The grad transfers are much more grown men - relative - college grads, proven, and grateful for the huge opportunity.

That has nothing to do with Suggs, at all. More of a compliment to the wonderful "men" who came through the door for years now.
    I love ‘em all, but in addition to being more mature and polished, there is something uniquely special about most of the transfers (not just grad) we’ve had in recent history. Byron, JW3, Nigel, McClellan, Geno, Matthews et al... I take a strange amount of satisfaction from seeing players McClellan and Geno continuing to support and rep GU after they’ve gone, despite being on the team a shorter time. If I’m not mistaken, Nigel still returns to Spokane to give back to the community. It’s really special.

Back to Jalen- once he comes, he’ll have the same chance to integrate into the culture and community. He seems like a nice kid and my impression is that he’ll represent the Zag community greatly. I trust the staff to look for such qualities as well, and so far they have a pretty good track record

Welcome to Gonzaga University, Jalen Suggs. You've made a great choice. Congrats to you and your family for making this well thought-0ut decision, as I am aware that it was a family decision. I believe you will be a great fit here at Gonzaga, and that you'll love not only the team but the university. I'm sure you know that, and that maybe the fact that this is a university that is a lot like a family, helped you decide to come here. AND once a Zag, you'll forever be a Zag and respected and loved as a family member. I know you are a classy young man, and come from a classy family because that's the kind of young men that Coach Few recruits. I am totally excited about you coming here, and can hardly wait to see you in a Zag uniform.

I hope that the "bad" comments that were expressed here do not leave you with the impression that this basketball forum represents how ZagNation feels about you. Like any message board, this one has some people on it who can not be happy unless they spew out something negative. That's the nature of ALL message boards, and honestly, GUBoards is one of the better ones. As in life, focus on the positive ones. Life is full of both positive and negative people, as I'm sure you know; and the intelligent person is the one who focuses on the positive people, and let's the negativity flow past him/her without giving them a second thought. ZagNation is excited about you coming to play here, and welcomes you with open arms. We are excited that you want to be part of this great community. Thank you, and thank your family. Zag Up!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Someone that deserves a lot of credit is Geno Crandall...I've read several articles saying that his connections in Minnesota really opened the doors to Jalen's recruitment and helped lead to Gonzaga knowing of Jalen's interest. While Geno was only a Zag for a year I constantly seen him promoting the Zags on Twitter. This would be great for the Zags to establish strong connections in Minnesota because the state has been producing a lot of high end talent in recent years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Welcome to Gonzaga University, Jalen Suggs. You've made a great choice. Congrats to you and your family for making this well thought-0ut decision, as I am aware that it was a family decision. I believe you will be a great fit here at Gonzaga, and that you'll love not only the team but the university. I'm sure you know that and that maybe the fact that this is a university that is a lot like a family. AND once a Zag, you'll forever be a Zag and respected and loved as a family member. I know you are a classy young man, and come from a classy family because that's the kind of young men that Coach Few recruits. I am totally excited about you coming here, and can hardly wait to see you in a Zag uniform.

I hope that the "bad" comments that were expressed here do not leave you with the impression that this basketball forum represents how ZagNation feels about you. Like any message board, this one has some people on it who can not be happy unless they spew out something negative. That's the nature of ALL message boards, and honestly, GUBoards is one of the better ones. As in life, focus on the positive ones. Life is full of both positive and negative people, as I'm sure you know; and the intelligent person is the one who focuses on the positive people, and let's the negativity flow past him/her without giving them a second look. ZagNation is excited about you coming to play here, and welcomes you with open arms. We are excited that you want to be part of this great community. Thank you, and thank your family. Zag Up!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Well said, Reborn.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Have Strawther, Harris, and Suggs played 5-5 ball together before (preferably on the same team), and if so is there any known video of it happening? I'm expecting some major synergism next year from our freshman, I'm hoping Ayayi and the current frosh can really gel with them (or vice versa).

Welcome to Gonzaga University, Jalen Suggs. You've made a great choice. Congrats to you and your family for making this well thought-0ut decision, as I am aware that it was a family decision. I believe you will be a great fit here at Gonzaga, and that you'll love not only the team but the university. I'm sure you know that, and that maybe the fact that this is a university that is a lot like a family, helped you decide to come here. AND once a Zag, you'll forever be a Zag and respected and loved as a family member. I know you are a classy young man, and come from a classy family because that's the kind of young men that Coach Few recruits. I am totally excited about you coming here, and can hardly wait to see you in a Zag uniform.

I hope that the "bad" comments that were expressed here do not leave you with the impression that this basketball forum represents how ZagNation feels about you. Like any message board, this one has some people on it who can not be happy unless they spew out something negative. That's the nature of ALL message boards, and honestly, GUBoards is one of the better ones. As in life, focus on the positive ones. Life is full of both positive and negative people, as I'm sure you know; and the intelligent person is the one who focuses on the positive people, and let's the negativity flow past him/her without giving them a second thought. ZagNation is excited about you coming to play here, and welcomes you with open arms. We are excited that you want to be part of this great community. Thank you, and thank your family. Zag Up!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Agreed...well said Reborn...Excited to see Suggs play for the Zags.

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

And like a fart in the wind, Jazz quickly disappeared, but not before he stunk up the room.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Quote Originally Posted by OCzag View Post
    I understand your position and think there is something to be said about developing attachments to players who are play multiple years. However, Iím not sure GU will turn into a Kentucky or UNC in terms of one and dones and, Iím hoping, we Are a hitting a nice sweet spot where we get some Uber talented players consistently. I donít believe itís a coincidence that our only FF also had our only one and done - although it also contained a stable of amazing mutli year players too

Genuinely asking - do you feel that way about the 2017 team? Maybe itís because they were the first to get to a FF, but I love all the players on that team, especially Nigel and Zach who only played one year.
    No, I didnít feel that way about the 2017 team. Nigel was here for 2 years (one a RS year) and he being a transfer from UW. I liked ZC fine although wish heíd stayed a 2nd year. Iíll like Suggs fine too (if he does come to GU). Itís just that we know fairly reasonably that Suggs would stay only a year. I donít so much mind grad transfers although I worry about players like Kispert who do well and could get over shadowed by one year players being brought in (kids that put in the time, get good, but donít get to play much due to a revolving door of one year guys). I like seeing GU getting heaps of credit for developing players as opposed to providing a one year home for a kid destined to be a pro. In short, Iíd get much more excited if Zakharov made the NBA than Suggs (due to Zakharovís development @ GU over time). Stuff like that gets me more juiced than winning a Natty.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    No, I didn’t feel that way about the 2017 team. Nigel was here for 2 years (one a RS year) and he being a transfer from UW. I liked ZC fine although wish he’d stayed a 2nd year. I’ll like Suggs fine too (if he does come to GU). It’s just that we know fairly reasonably that Suggs would stay only a year. I don’t so much mind grad transfers although I worry about players like Kispert who do well and could get over shadowed by one year players being brought in (kids that put in the time, get good, but don’t get to play much due to a revolving door of one year guys). I like seeing GU getting heaps of credit for developing players as opposed to providing a one year home for a kid destined to be a pro. In short, I’d get much more excited if Zakharov made the NBA than Suggs (due to Zakharov’s development @ GU over time). Stuff like that gets me more juiced than winning a Natty.
    I appreciate your point of view, Zagger, and feel there are others who feel the same way. But honestly, the Gonzaga basketball programe has evolved to the point that winning a national championship is certainly a realistic goal, and that in order to do that Gonzaga will want to recruit the very best athletes that they can, including players who could be a one-and-done type of player. I don't think it's possible to win a national championship with only players who stay 3 or 4 years. I wonder if you are saying that you'd rather Gonzaga be a team who has all 3 and 4 year players and not go beyond the Sweet 16? Were you more excited about the team in the years past when Gonzaga only had players on the team who stayed for at least 3 years and probably more?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    Have Strawther, Harris, and Suggs played 5-5 ball together before (preferably on the same team), and if so is there any known video of it happening? I'm expecting some major synergism next year from our freshman, I'm hoping Ayayi and the current frosh can really gel with them (or vice versa).
    Ayayi will do just fine and can get along with anyone. The Frosh will still be learning.
    Parlez-vous franÁais?

Extremely excited about Jalen Suggs' commitment to GU. The guy controls the game like NWG, but is 3 inches taller, a better shooter and a much more explosive athlete at the same point in their development. How can anyone watch highlights like these and not be over the moon about this commitment (even with the overseas risk that every top 20 kid has...as Suggs may have been open about it, but every one of those top ranked kids have been exploring the option).

A comment I made earlier may be an ignorant one that was gracefully ignored, but Suggs mentioned wanting to help recruit Banchero and Holmgren to play here. They are juniors, so unless they are reclassifying, the tea leaves suggest to me that he is planning for two years with GU (although I wouldn’t anticipate him staying if he gets a lot of positive NBA draft feedback after a year).

I appreciate your point of view, Zagger, and feel there are others who feel the same way. But honestly, the Gonzaga basketball programe has evolved to the point that winning a national championship is certainly a realistic goal, and that in order to do that Gonzaga will want to recruit the very best athletes that they can, including players who could be a one-and-done type of player. I don't think it's possible to win a national championship with only players who stay 3 or 4 years. I wonder if you are saying that you'd rather Gonzaga be a team who has all 3 and 4 year players and not go beyond the Sweet 16? Were you more excited about the team in the years past when Gonzaga only had players on the team who stayed for at least 3 years and probably more?
    You've got to get the one and done stars that can mesh well out of the box, combined with 3 and 4 year, smart and experienced players. The tricky trio has me excited because if they can mesh well right away we'll have a very high ceiling. It might actually be more important for the existing guys to mesh well with them, which should be no issue given their experience integrating new players into the team.

Go Zags!!!
    I don't disagree with the broader sentiment welcoming Suggs to the family and i could not be more excited about his commitment. But you really should tone down the virtue signalling just a touch as it can be just as off putting as the negative comments you critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Ayayi will do just fine and can get along with anyone. The Frosh will still be learning.
    Figuring out playing time will be one of Coach Few’s toughest challenges next year. Suggs seems to have a joy for basketball that, paired with his talent, should be great fun to watch. Julian fills the stat sheet and seems like a good guy in his personal life.

I know this is a Suggs thread, but it says a lot about Dom that he helped bring a guy in whom he will be competing with for minutes. Because of his character and work ethic, Dom is already one of my favorite Zags as a person, and he hasn’t set foot on the floor (and he is a heck of a player, to boot)

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    Someone that deserves a lot of credit is Geno Crandall...I've read several articles saying that his connections in Minnesota really opened the doors to Jalen's recruitment and helped lead to Gonzaga knowing of Jalen's interest. While Geno was only a Zag for a year I constantly seen him promoting the Zags on Twitter. This would be great for the Zags to establish strong connections in Minnesota because the state has been producing a lot of high end talent in recent years.

In addition to Geno you can't underestimate the contribution of Jeremy Jones, who hosted Jalen during his official visit. His parents (as well as Strawther's) LOVED Jeremy ... and both sets of parents could envision their sons as part of the Gonzaga family. At least that's what they conveyed after that Saturday night 94-46 blowout of SMC at Jack and Dan's ... while at a table with Tommy and an alum (or two).

Here's a link to the pretty cool SR recap of their recruiting visit. Please note that the story doesn't include the snippet of info above (which was during an hour long private ... but meaningful conversation). https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-visit-to-cam/

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Winning a Natty is a great goal and I'm a pretty avid Zags fan. I would be more excited about winning a Natty with GU developed talent than with highly rated kids brought in for a short time. Probably most people would. I'm excited about this season's team mainly since they are doing better than we thought they would be. Not sure anyone thought the Zags would be #1 right now. Yes, I can get pretty excited about teams with longer staying players. It's great to see GU records broken. I got to be at the game when Pangos sunk the record breaking 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxz2UQslDQk
    It is good seeing GU do well and 5 S16s in 5 years is cool - one gets to watch a lot more Zags games that way The success has been great for GU too. It's hard to really answer some of your questions about with an 'either or' type of reply. I just don't want to see the character of the program change that much and feel if GU gets a host of one year guys it will change the character. That may not necessarily be bad for most Zag fans, nor for GU, but I'd likely start going to fewer GU mens games (and go to more GU gals games). I like seeing any team do better than expectations as opposed to less than expectations. With a host of top prospects expectations would soar. The way things are now I think each year the Zags have a chance to make a FF game - with or without 1 or 2 year guys. I fully believe the Zags will win a Natty this decade as they'll get the right mix of guys who happen to get the best ball bounces in March - or April
    Thanks for the questions
    Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I appreciate his honesty. Very much so.

I appreciate it much more than, for example, a kid leaving the program without explanation to the media or fans on the eve of the first game of the season. Mr. Suggs gives an explanation and reasonable fans will accept that explanation. All transparent for everyone to see. I appreciate that Mr. Suggs.

Welcome aboard Mr. Suggs. Zag up.
    Great post in this thread. I was just talking to my two friends about being honest and transparent. Donít we preach that from family and student athletes alike ?

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    A comment I made earlier may be an ignorant one that was gracefully ignored, but Suggs mentioned wanting to help recruit Banchero and Holmgren to play here. They are juniors, so unless they are reclassifying, the tea leaves suggest to me that he is planning for two years with GU (although I wouldn’t anticipate him staying if he gets a lot of positive NBA draft feedback after a year).
    came to post the same thing. If hes planning on going pro, why would he recruit for GU still?

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    I don't disagree with the broader sentiment welcoming Suggs to the family and i could not be more excited about his commitment. But you really should tone down the virtue signalling just a touch as it can be just as off putting as the negative comments you critique.
    Lay off of Reborn. Actually I find your accusation for and use of the term "virtue signalling" off putting. Is that some new thing we need to worry about being scolded for so people know how "woke" you are?

Welcome to Jalen Suggs! Great decision. Already mentioned was that this commitment raised the GU recruiting class ranking to #7 when you account for Harris, Strawther and now Suggs. Don't forget that Ballo is basically part of the same incoming class of new players. Same age as Suggs

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Lay off of Reborn. Actually I find your accusation for and use of the term "virtue signalling" off putting. Is that some new thing we need to worry about being scolded for so people know how "woke" you are?
    I actually had to google it after seeing that term used for a second time in this thread. If I understand the definition correctly, isn't someone calling someone out for "virtue signaling" basically a form of virtue signaling itself? I don't know.

Either way, welcome to the team, Jalen!
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

I was actually enjoying the back-and-forth of this thread until the concept of "virtue signalling" reared its head. And to think I actually would take someone at his/her word. This is where I log off and try to find a good game to watch. Put ball in basket ... win game. Go home happy. The end.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    óKurt Vonnegut