Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 181

Thread: Suggs "Zags Up," Announces Gonzaga Commit. . .

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,631

    Default

    Gonzaga receives commitment from Jalen Suggs, highest ranked recruit in program history

    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...n-suggs-highe/

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    7,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Thatís uncalled for Jazz. Youíre better than that.
    Negative Nancy is who he is
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Not at all. The LeBron mimicry on the court, he plagiarized LeBron to south beach line, ick. I need a shower. He’s good, not that good.
    You called a teenage kid a con man.

    FWIW

    Definition of flimflam artist/man
    informal. : a criminal who steals money from people by tricking them : con man He lost all his money to a flimflam artist/man.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    And why are they still fishing? He’s not gonna get more marketable. Is he even a burger boy.

    A big fat Minne-HA-HA.
    Who are they fishing for? Backups. They need to get another point guard on the roster even if Suggs comes. The exposure that he and Harris will gain next year will earn him more money in endorsements than he will ever make overseas. He is a very gifted player, but he's not a healthy Derrick Rose.

    I also wouldn't be surprised if we see Harris jump into the low 20's. Biancardi said he's been playing as good as any prep guard in the country. That Sierra Canyon team that he beat is loaded with pros. For Dom to put 30 on them..........

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Cool seeing him shout out Harris’ birthday and our high level 2021 targets. He left the door open on overseas but he seems like a guy who’ll need to really be blown out of the water by an offer to leave his country and his friends imo

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    You called a teenage kid a con man.

    FWIW

    Definition of flimflam artist/man
    informal. : a criminal who steals money from people by tricking them : con man He lost all his money to a flimflam artist/man.
    Bottom line. I hold Gonzaga to a very high regard and although I know recruiting is a filthy but necessary business, this kind of half arse commitment is an affront to Few, the program and the school. Out.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Such an odd commitment.

    Itís the Zags!!!!!......but still strongly considering going overseas..

    Donít get me wrong, the kid is free to do whatever he wants. More power to him. But my excitement went from a ten to a six in an instant.
    Indeed. The worst part for me would be if go overseas so late that they can't replace him with somebody else. The lack of guard depth this year is already nerve racking.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Who are they fishing for? Backups. They need to get another point guard on the roster even if Suggs comes. The exposure that he and Harris will gain next year will earn him more money in endorsements than he will ever make overseas. He is a very gifted player, but he's not a healthy Derrick Rose.

    I also wouldn't be surprised if we see Harris jump into the low 20's. Biancardi said he's been playing as good as any prep guard in the country. That Sierra Canyon team that he beat is loaded with pros. For Dom to put 30 on them..........
    Iíd imagine this to be the case as well if he is as good as people say he is but are players really cashing in on these endorsements now? How much are they getting? Iíd imagine a Zion type player would be able to make great grand kid millionaire type money before even stepping on an NBA court.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,683

    Default

    Primadonnaszzzzzz. Weíve not had many. I hate to say it but this commitment sounds a bit confused and weak. Hoping for the best on this....

  10. #35
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    My only question is whether Suggs is going to be about team if he comes to GU or if heís going to be about ďmeĒ instead. I trust the staffís judgement but this recruitment has been a little off putting in a way. Canít blame the kid from figuring out what is best fir him though.

    I think Iím just worn out at this point. Regardless, they need another guard in the class whether Suggs arrives on campus or not


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Bottom line. I hold Gonzaga to a very high regard and although I know recruiting is a filthy but necessary business, this kind of half arse commitment is an affront to Few, the program and the school. Out.
    Out, but leaving a funk behind.
    History has its eyes on you.

    Sage of the GU Message Board

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Primadonnaszzzzzz. We’ve not had many. I hate to say it but this commitment sounds a bit confused and weak. Hoping for the best on this....
    GU, Few, the school deserve better. Check your PM for the inside story ...

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Anyone have a video clip?

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Video clip is more convincing than quotes on paper. Knew it would be right when he said it, too. Seems like he’s planning on being a Zag.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    ... geez.. this is definitely the "tricky" part of this trio...


    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Not at all. The LeBron mimicry on the court, he plagiarized LeBron to south beach line, ick. I need a shower. He’s good, not that good.
    I'll be your biggest defender if called for, but here I cannot. You want to know why he mimicked LeBron? Because he was 8 freaking years old when it happened. He doesn't even have a first-hand sense of what it meant. He's just having fun and imitating an aging NBA legend.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, Ca.
    Posts
    7,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Anyone have a video clip?
    Try ESPN and go to Gonzaga page.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,836

    Default Suggs "Zags Up," Announces Gonzaga. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    I'll be your biggest defender if called for, but here I cannot. You want to know why he mimicked LeBron? Because he was 8 freaking years old when it happened. He doesn't even have a first-hand sense of what it meant. He's just having fun and imitating an aging NBA legend.
    I watched it with my 17 yo daughter who is also Class of Ď20. She was really impressed with it. I asked her if she thought that would raise GUís standing with high school kids and her reply was ďHeck yeah!Ē

    Now both my daughters plan on wearing GU gear to school on Monday.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,166

    Default

    I think what may being missed here is a teenage kid on national television (probably for the first time) being interviewed. I’m not sure all the words that came out are exactly what is meant. I doubt the critics here have a lot of experience at that but it can be a bit uncomfortable.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    I think what may being missed here is a teenage kid on national television (probably for the first time) being interviewed. Iím not sure all the words that came out are exactly what is meant. I doubt the critics here have a lot of experience at that but it can be a bit uncomfortable.
    Exactly...

    regardless of if he becomes a Zag, itís the biggest recruiting moment in program history.

    Some of you donít like this stuff, but itís the kind of thing that gets noticed. Now people will mention Jalen Suggs and Gonzaga every time going overseas is brought up. Which will progressively increase as the draft gets closer.

    Itís all good man, no one even knew who Ryan Woolridge was at this point of last season.

    Next season looks amazing, and the future looks unreal, with or without Mr Suggs.

  21. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Anyone have a video clip?
    https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=28418048

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Zagville
    Posts
    1,873

    Default

    Why not make the commitment to GU be about the decision to choose GU and basketball over the other possible universities? I find it very concerning that the overseas portion even made the commitment announcement. I have been really excited to see GU welcome Suggs to the Zag community, but this just doesn't seem right. I hope everything works out for Suggs, but I'm not counting on this commitment for our starting PG for next year. We've been down this road before with Osweiler decommitting and choosing football at ASU late in the game.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    42

    Default

    I have no problem with anything he said. And I think anyone that has followed his recruitment shouldn't have been surprised by anything he said.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, Ca.
    Posts
    7,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagAddict View Post
    Why not make the commitment to GU be about the decision to choose GU and basketball over the other possible universities? I find it very concerning that the overseas portion even made the commitment announcement. I have been really excited to see GU welcome Suggs to the Zag community, but this just doesn't seem right. I hope everything works out for Suggs, but I'm not counting on this commitment for our starting PG for next year. We've been down this road before with Osweiler decommitting and choosing football at ASU late in the game.
    Great move by Brock. Happy for him still.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    91

    Default

    I would say that the entire board realizes by now that the Coaching staff is so on top of this that they have Plan's B-C-D thought about months ago. I don't see any negative, while yes there was some grandstanding, it was tasteful and nothing out of the ordinary out of other top 10 player commitment announcements.

    Furthermore, check out his quote in the article linked below, about his family circle and how it takes a village to raise a child.

    I think that this kind've decision was faced by other past Gonzaga International recruits- it just wasnt PUBLIC the way this was. I think it was very possible that the GU Coaching staff was probably told or felt that there were % chances that an International player COULD end up turning pro, even after receiving a verbal commitment.
    As is the case with most high level international players, they are usually in the pipeline of a professional club. Many of them are hitting a fork in the road whether or not they are offered a contract to remain in the 2nd/3rd division of a team OR go to college in the US. I think the majority of Internationals that come to the US have such small $$$ offers that they don't feel it's worth it to take and go the US for free and get exposure, and in theory likely feel its better exposure for the NBA to be in the US anyway.

    BUT.....
    There are still so many indirect positives from this news even if Suggs never makes it to GU;
    -the recruiting "buzz" this creates for other prospects in 2020-21-22 classes for the near future through next several months cannot be measured. Great players want to play with other great players, particularly PG types. Namely Chet Holmgren, who is likely now going to have Gonzaga attached to his name more and more.
    -If Suggs does go the pro route; Gonzaga's name is still going to be at the LEAST loosely attached to his name in the future. Again, buzz, credibility.
    -Not only that he committed to GU, but basically did a COMMERCIAL for GU! This by itself was WORTH the so-called grandstanding. Zag Up....saying Mark Few is a great coach...and wanting to recruit other players!

    good article
    https://www.twincities.com/2020/01/0...ts-to-gonzaga/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •