Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: @ Portland: Post-Game Comments, Observations, and Media

JMHO... let Anton rest and heal. At the very least give him a good 6-8 game stretch to heal up. We'll need his defensive abilities to be 100% for March.

Also, I think that 1st half will be one that Few will be pointing back to all through this WCC season. Likely saying... don't take these games for granted as these teams know our system and are looking to knock #1 off their pedestal. Every WCC team, especially the first time around, are going to bring all they have.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    JMHO... let Anton rest and heal. At the very least give him a good 6-8 game stretch to heal up. We'll need his defensive abilities to be 100% for March.

Also, I think that 1st half will be one that Few will be pointing back to all through this WCC season. Likely saying... don't take these games for granted as these teams know our system and are looking to knock #1 off their pedestal. Every WCC team, especially the first time around, are going to bring all they have.
    Exactly.

That first half will likely serve us well. "Do not think the name on the uniform wins you games. You were down 7 at half, at Portland"

As for Watson, the problem with pulling him out 2 months, according to the PTs here, it doesn't really help. It's a chronic thing requiring surgery and long rehab. It's just an odd situation where a guy is clearly addled and hurting, yet out there. Someone exponentially more qualified than me is making the decision, but I am confused.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post

We have now won 46 of our last 47 road games in conference, not likely to continue. The bullseye on our backs grow with each successive game we're #1. To top it off, there are consecutive win streaks against more than a few conference teams that are simply embarrassing to those teams, and likely to be a point of discussion within those teams.

I never worry about our team losing their poise on the road, not after those games against UW and Arizona.

No doubt about it, the dog days of conference play are here.

Default Some thoughts on the day after the game

The game last night vs Portland reminds me that the WCC is going to be a really tough conference, and the games are going to be exciting and tense. Gonzaga will not be able to walk through conference games this year. They will have to battle every night. And for me this fact will make this season very exciting.

I don't have any negative feelings about the game last night. It was a great game, and the Zags certainly played like the #1 team in the country the second half. Give credit where credit is due. The Zags were in a dog fight last night, and they responded. Yes! Portland came ready to fight and send our boys home as losers. Portland played very good and fought to the end. But still, it wasn't enough to defeat the Zags. The guys responded when they had to.

I'm sure that every team in the WCC is going to be very, very good when they play the Zags at home. But unfortunately for them, the Zags have had very good success playing away from the K2 and in their opponent's arena. Like Adam Morrison said, these are all D-1 basketball players and they ALL can play, and on a given night they can play extremely well. And as Mark Few said, probably 150 teams could beat the Zags if they are not ready to play. But as the Zags showed last night, a half game is not a full game. And how a team might play the first 20 minutes of a game, does not indicate how the last 20 minutes will be played out. Let's remember that. College basketball is going to be very fun this year I think.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

on the positive side on last nights game

we held the lead for 26 minutes and 40 seconds while portland held the lead for 13 minutes 20 seconds

we only had 4 turnovers last night ALL in the first half

I thought the first play of the second half set the tone for the energy and defensive engagement (from the butt chewing I am assuming they got at half for lack of effort) set by Kispert when he defended the high ball screen perfectly angling the ball handler to the corner, then when the ballhandler rose to shoot, Kispert blocked the shot leading to Tille made basket on other end. Then the very next offensive series Kispert made a nice pass to Petrusev for bucket......set the tone for the youngsters how we are to play zag basketball...the little things that lead to victories sometimes go unnoticed
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

If Watson was my kid I would go get him...... and take him to the top people in the field for a second...…. or even third opinion.....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    If Watson was my kid I would go get him...... and take him to the top people in the field for a second...…. or even third opinion.....
    thats making an assumption that has not occurred already......
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

+1
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    And another +1
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Smile Happier for the Win

Really like Portland. Great to see them compete. Hope they win more than they lose in the WCC this season.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    I am not making any assumptions at all...I am simply saying what I would do......regardless of what has been done or not done....

I am not making any assumptions at all...I am simply saying what I would do......regardless of what has been done or not done....
    One of his former AAU coaches told me 3 weeks ago that Anton's dad wanted him to shutdown, redshirt and have surgery. Anton declined.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Very out of character how we’re handling his injury. I thought he would’ve applied for a redshirt after the second time he aggravated it.
    The only thing I can think of is he's not gonna damage it more than he already has, but it's also not gonna truly heal without surgery, so he's just gonna try and give it a go for the rest of the season and get it fixed in the offseason.

I know, the UP game is now out of sight in the rear view mirror, but I watched it again this weekend. No gems of basketball IQ, but I did notice something that was kind of peculiar. The Pilots jerseys still had the previous WCC logo on the shoulder. They do have the new WCC logo on the floor, but the jerseys they wore on Thursday had the old WCC logo. Weird.

Loved hearing the GU fans cheering louder than the UP fans.

Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    I know, the UP game is now out of sight in the rear view mirror, but I watched it again this weekend. No gems of basketball IQ, but I did notice something that was kind of peculiar. The Pilots jerseys still had the previous WCC logo on the shoulder. They do have the new WCC logo on the floor, but the jerseys they wore on Thursday had the old WCC logo. Weird.

Loved hearing the GU fans cheering louder than the UP fans.

Go Zags!
    They ran out of Gonzaga money to fund their program. Nothing left for new jerseys.