Thread: Ballo?

Default Ballo?

Any chance that he is eligible for 2nd semester? Dude's not going to be around for 5 years, so why not get him out there?

Not academically eligible till next year

Any reports on Ballo in practice?

Release the Beast

Watching Filip's development over this season, I can't help thinking when he goes against "scout teams" in practice where Mr. Ballo is the 5, he gets better, tougher, and wiser.

Even if Ballo doesn't see the floor this season, I believe he is contributing to the team's development.

I have no inside scoop to inform this opinion. It's based on knowing the competitive spirit between day and night shifts in a manufacturing environment over 32 years.
    Personal pride and team goals are great motivators. Our "second stringers" have the same goal as the starters: Win the league.

(slides soapbox under the couch)

#gozags

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Watching Filip's development over this season, I can't help thinking when he goes against "scout teams" in practice where Mr. Ballo is the 5, he gets better, tougher, and wiser.

Even if Ballo doesn't see the floor this season, I believe he is contributing to the team's development.

I have no inside scoop to inform this opinion. It's based on knowing the competitive spirit between day and night shifts in a manufacturing environment over 32 years.
    Personal pride and team goals are great motivators. Our "second stringers" have the same goal as the starters: Win the league.

#gozags
    Agree Ballo and rest of bench players help the team reach their goals by competing hard vs rotation players in practice. All do respect to Matthew Lang and Will Graves, but I hope Gary Bell Jr. laces ‘em up and competes against our guards regularly in practice to help them get better vs a great defender.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

#gozags
    Great post and your insight is spot on here. Keep in mind the following with Ballo and Zhakarov: not only do those guys get so much better every day by having to battle Tillie and Petrusev but the inverse is true as well. The reality is that one of the best front courts that Tillie and Petrusev face in league is the one they practice against. Timmie, Ballo, Watson, and Pavel are tremendous competition for our starters.
    Regarding the progress of Ballo and Pavel, it is so hard to say because they go up against pros every day. Both Pavel and Ballo work so hard. Ballo is a monster! This insight does not stray much from what is talked about after practice regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Agree Ballo and rest of bench players help the team reach their goals by competing hard vs rotation players in practice. All do respect to Matthew Lang and Will Graves, but I hope Gary Bell Jr. laces ‘em up and competes against our guards regularly in practice to help them get better vs a great defender.
    I feel really bad for the first guard who fails to get back on defense in practice and meet's Gary's stare.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Thank you for asking the original question, Iowa.

I am thankful for Oumar's positive outlook about this year's development opportunity.

Simultaneously, I don't quite understand why N'Faly Dante is now eligible while Oumar is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    Thank you for asking the original question, Iowa.

I am thankful for Oumar's positive outlook about this year's development opportunity.

Simultaneously, I don't quite understand why N'Faly Dante is now eligible while Oumar is not.
    because he was able to provide explanation and justification of classes taken versus classes required.....my understanding is that has not been fully vetted with Ballo
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    because he was able to provide explanation and justification of classes taken versus classes required.....my understanding is that has not been fully vetted with Ballo
    Dante had credit verified and needed certain # more to be approved by NCAA.

NCAA is allowing Ballo to essentially qualify by enrolling and taking entry classes through Gonzaga University.

Trusting Ballo's admission to GU yet basically starting over from an academic standpoint.

Dante had classes via a questionable, yet local prep school, easier to vet, and decide what is needed. while Ballo attended 3 international high schools not all fully verified by NCAA.

Ballo's deal was essentially a deal made between the NCAA and Gonzaga as a qualified/accredited institution.

Using an academic year to become academically eligible

Ballo is earning his way on the court by taking entry level frosh courses as we type...

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post

NCAA is allowing Ballo to essentially qualify by enrolling and taking entry classes through Gonzaga University.

Trusting Ballo's admission to GU yet basically starting over from an academic standpoint.

Dante had classes via a questionable, yet local prep school, easier to vet, and decide what is needed. while Ballo attended 3 international high schools not all fully verified by NCAA.

Ballo's deal was essentially a deal made between the NCAA and Gonzaga as a qualified/accredited institution.

Ballo is earning his way on the court by taking entry level frosh courses as we type...
    thanks! That clears things up.

Thank you hoopaholic and goshzagit!! Great insight and much appreciated.

I realize many people reading this are not on instagram, but if you are, I would recommend checking out Ballo's account every once and a while. His account isn't private, so you don't have to "follow" him to check his videos/stories. He occasionally posts quick videos of workouts and, recently, him jamming a massive dunk in practice. Although i wonder if those videos are OK'd be the coaches, it was impressive to see him take a quick pass off of a screen/roll, take a step and slam it home with such force.

In fairness, the help D might have come from a walk-on, but even unguarded it was fairly jaw dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by OCzag View Post
    I realize many people reading this are not on instagram, but if you are, I would recommend checking out Ballo's account every once and a while. His account isn't private, so you don't have to "follow" him to check his videos/stories. He occasionally posts quick videos of workouts and, recently, him jamming a massive dunk in practice. Although i wonder if those videos are OK'd be the coaches, it was impressive to see him take a quick pass off of a screen/roll, take a step and slam it home with such force.

In fairness, the help D might have come from a walk-on, but even unguarded it was fairly jaw dropping.
    I follow him and I saw that display of power. He seems to be well loved by his teammates and is fun to watch on the bench. I am looking forward to next year, but we have got to get Watson patched up.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by OCzag View Post

Really cool to see Tommy working with Ballo and Pavel. I think these two are going to be monsters next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post

How did the NBA Academy not have him academically ready to play NCAA basketball by the time he left, when gaining academic eligibility should have been their #1 priority during his development? Shouldn't they have held him back a class? Are they just a skills academy now? Here's their about statement:

The NBA Academy Latin America will employ a holistic, 360-degree approach to player development with focuses on education, leadership, character development and life skills.

Or is their goal simply to get international kids on U.S. college basketball scholarships even if that means the institution is on the hook for an additional year of education without play? I suppose it comes down to whether the staff was aware of his potential academic issues before giving him a scholarship. If so, there's definitely an ethical issue as they are essentially giving away a free scholarship to a student that did not have to meet basic academic requirements like the rest of the student body (and why on Earth are the NCAA requirements more stringent than Gonzaga's?!). Shouldn't a University know for certain that their players are academically eligible before they give them scholarships to play basketball? Or are we simply rewarding him for his athletic contributions in practice (Petrusev does look mighty good)?

The process would be more transparent if they just had college athletes take a GRE/SAT/ACT/Wonderlic or some other standardized way of meeting NCAA academic regulations. That seems awfully discriminatory to judge a student on the availability of their academic history (which is a byproduct of their locality and out of their control) as opposed to their current academic merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    How did the NBA Academy not have him academically ready to play NCAA basketball by the time he left, when gaining academic eligibility should have been their #1 priority during his development? Shouldn't they have held him back a class? Are they just a skills academy now? Here's their about statement:

Or is their goal simply to get international kids on U.S. college basketball scholarships even if that means the institution is on the hook for an additional year of education without play? I suppose it comes down to whether the staff was aware of his potential academic issues before giving him a scholarship. If so, there's definitely an ethical issue as they are essentially giving away a free scholarship to a student that did not have to meet basic academic requirements like the rest of the student body (and why on Earth are the NCAA requirements more stringent than Gonzaga's?!). Shouldn't a University know for certain that their players are academically eligible before they give them scholarships to play basketball? Or are we simply rewarding him for his athletic contributions in practice (Petrusev does look mighty good)?

The process would be more transparent if they just had college athletes take a GRE/SAT/ACT/Wonderlic or some other standardized way of meeting NCAA academic regulations. That seems awfully discriminatory to judge a student on the availability of their academic history (which is a byproduct of their locality and out of their control) as opposed to their current academic merit.
    Africa appears to be a growing basketball pipeline and is getting a lot of attention from the NBA in terms of professional development. The NCAA needs to adapt.
    Parlez-vous français?

He has got to be jacked about Suggs committing. So many sweet ally-oop passes in his highlight videos. Those 2 together are going to be BEASTS!

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I feel really bad for the first guard who fails to get back on defense in practice and meet's Gary's stare.
    Our guards are probably happy for games because they don’t have to go up against Bell anymore hahahaha

I know nothing of the details of Oumar's education but with having just turned 17 in July, I am wondering if Ballo mustered enough high school equivalent credits to qualify? It's a gray area, with some highly rated high school recruits (Wiggins, Barrett to name a couple) reclassifying to the senior class part way through their junior year and still managing to qualify to play NCAA that first year.
    Last edited by stretch; 01-05-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I know nothing of the details of Oumar's education but with having just turned 17 in July, I am wondering if Ballo mustered enough high school equivalent credits to qualify? It's a gray area, with some highly rated high school recruits (Wiggins, Barrett to name a couple) reclassifying to the senior class part way through their junior year and still managing to qualify to play NCAA that first year.
    Mali’s school system is probably modeled on the French lycée system where 16 year olds can graduate easily, as in the case of Joel Ayayi. Ballo had more chances of credits falling through the cracks since he attended more schools which were in different countries.
    Parlez-vous français?