Thread: OT: RIP David Stern

Default OT: RIP David Stern

After suffering a cerebral hemorrhage on 12/12, former commissioner of the NBA David Stern passed this afternoon at the age of 77.

His 30 year tenure oversaw explosive growth in the NBA and its properties. As with any long-tenured sports commissioner, his era was not without controversies.

ESPN Coverages:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-stern-dies-77

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...e-force-nature

LA Times Obit:

https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/s...missioner-dead

( Will move this thread to the General Basketball forum tomorrow morning )
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-02-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Just saw this. Thx for posting.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Never liked him after he aided and abetted the theft of the Seattle SuperSonics. Not shedding any tears for him today.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Never liked him after he aided and abetted the theft of the Seattle SuperSonics. Not shedding any tears for him today.

ZZ
    Unfortunately that is my view as well
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

ZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Unfortunately that is my view as well
    Mine also.
    He allowed the rules to be bent because he was angry that Seattle wouldn't build a new arena, after they were the first to do the multi-million dollar upgrade not many years earlier.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Mine also.
    He allowed the rules to be bent because he was angry that Seattle wouldn't build a new arena, after they were the first to do the multi-million dollar upgrade not many years earlier.
    A man just died, someone lost a husband and a father. I understand being upset about how he may have handled something but these responses come off as small and unfeeling.

Quote Originally Posted by IMADEYOUREADTHIS View Post
    A man just died, someone lost a husband and a father. I understand being upset about how he may have handled something but these responses come off as small and unfeeling.
    You are more than welcome to yours.

To me, David Stern dies years ago. I also doubt that his family will read any of these responses.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by IMADEYOUREADTHIS View Post
    Read up on him and his contempt towards certain regions of the country that didn’t fit his views. While I feel for his family... he was not a good person.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

In my book, hearing about the death of someone is almost always a tragedy that brings personal sadness and reflection.

Persons can find redemption from shady business dealings. I hope he found-- and took-- the opportunity to do so somewhere along the way.

From Seattle Times this AM...

David Stern’s legacy in Seattle is simple: There’s no Sonics
    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...res-no-sonics/

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/01/02/da...gal-background

SI article about Sterns legacy-see item #9

9. Problematic handling of the Seattle SuperSonics

Stern attracted criticism for his handling of the Seattle SuperSonics and the eventual loss of an NBA franchise in the country’s 13th largest media market. The Sonics' story has many twists and turns, and a terrific website on that topic is Sonics Rising.

The Cliffs Notes version is that Seattle had featured a loyal and passionate fan base for the Sonics, which played there from 1967 to 2008. In 2006, Starbucks CEO Howard Shultz sold the franchise to Oklahoma City businessman Clay Bennett, who pledged to make a good faith effort to keep the team in Seattle. Bennett demanded public (taxpayer) funding for a new arena. Those demands weren’t met. He and the City of Seattle then litigated the lease obligation in Seattle’s Key Arena. Bennett effectively prevailed and moved the franchise to Oklahoma City, where they were renamed the Thunder.

In 2013, Seattle business leaders spearheaded a bid to relocate the Sacramento Kings to Seattle. An agreement was reached whereby Chris Hansen would buy the Kings from the Maloof family. The deal included a new arena in Seattle. The NBA Board of Governors needed to approve the transaction. Instead, Stern permitted other potential buyers to offer terms to the Maloofs with an accompanying pledge to keep the Kings in Sacramento. On behalf of a Sacramento-based investment group, Vivek Ranadivé presented an offer that the Board would approve. Many in Seattle felt that the city had been used by the NBA—and in particular by Stern—as leverage to increase the price of the Kings remaining in Sacramento.

While there is no longer an NBA franchise in Seattle, I predict the Sonics will return in the 2020s.

While there is no longer an NBA franchise in Seattle, I predict the Sonics will return in the 2020s.
    I certainly hope this is the case. A spruced up Key Arena should do the trick. I don't care if it's an expansion franchise or a team relocation, Seattle deserves a NBA team. Wonder if someone will put a Sonics sticker on Stern's grave stone??

I'd be shocked if they ever come to the Key Arena again, and if that will continue to be the only option the City allows, I really hope that I am wrong. Things change in this situation all the time, but almost always in ways that screw the Sonics fans so I am very pessimistic. It's a huge bummer.

Stern did a lot of great things for basketball that a lot of my favorite sportswriters and athletes are talking about right now, but I really can't bring myself to read any of them. It's just the sports wound that won't heal.

ZZ
    Ditto. My beloved Sonics are gone in part due to that man. Not going to say Good Riddance, but not going to say RIP either.

Another nice piece from Art Thiel.....

http://sportspressnw.com/2245138/202...ess-personally

"For all of his creditable efforts at helping rescue, stabilize and energize the NBA, when it came to Seattle, he made the mistake of taking business personally.

He may be seen elsewhere in the hoops world as a savior. In Seattle he will be known as a petty tyrant who cared more about his power and reputation than a 41-year relationship that brought sports joy and inspiration to a region.

Thanks. But no thanks."

I was a Sonics season ticket holder and was at the last game during Durant's rookie season. I'm still mad about the way the way the new owners stripped the team of star players like Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, etc... at the end and then accused the city of not supporting its team. That last night vs. the Mavs was packed with loud, angry fans. Sonics came back to steal a win and Gary Payton received a rousing ovation during the "Save our Sonics" chants. Somebody hung up a sign that said "Will the last Sonic fan to leave the building please turn out the lights" We all wiped the tears from our eyes as we left for the last time. Those are the only tears I will shed about anything related to David Stern.

ZZ