Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Notables - Passages

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerzag View Post
    Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies at 87

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/u...ies-at-87.html
    This could be a huge tragedy for our Republic. I fervently hope not.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerzag View Post
    Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies at 87

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/u...ies-at-87.html
    This is the one I feared. Every time that I saw a new post in this thread for the past few years, I have cringed and hoped that this name would never appear on this thread. I wish that she could have retired in peace. She deserved the rest after giving so much of herself for so many decades.

I respect her so much, and wish I could have met her. She had been fighting and in pain a long time.

I am so far beyond angry about what's happened in the wake of her death that I will just say that it's too bad an American giant, all 5 feet of her, past. Powerful legal mind.

I am soooo angry ...
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Default The Kansas Comet

Hall of Fame running back Gale Sayers, age 77.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gale_Sayers

Sayers was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the first round, fourth overall, in the 1965 NFL Draft, and was also picked fifth overall by the Kansas City Chiefs of the American Football League in the AFL draft. After consulting his wife, he decided would rather play in Chicago, signing with George Halas's Bears. In his rookie year, he scored an NFL-record 22 touchdowns: 14 rushing, six receiving, and one each on punt and kickoff returns. He gained 2,272 all-purpose yards, a record for an NFL rookie, with 1,371 of them coming from scrimmage. Sayers averaged 5.2 yards per rush and 17.5 yards per reception. His return averages were 14.9 yards per punt return and a league-high 31.4 yards per kickoff return.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I respect her so much, and wish I could have met her. She had been fighting and in pain a long time.

I am so far beyond angry about what's happened in the wake of her death that I will just say that it's too bad an American giant, all 5 feet of her, past. Powerful legal mind.

I am soooo angry ...
    I had the pleasure of meeting Justice Ginsburg as a law student. She spoke to my 1L Constitutional Law class. The event was unannounced, probably for security reasons. We were told to be early to class, because we would need to go through security screening for a guest lecturer. Rumors circulated that it might be Justice RBG, because her husband was scheduled to speak to the State Bar Association that evening.

Sure enough, she emerged at the front of our class with the dean, the Chief Justice of the state supreme court, and our professor. Despite her small frame, she is a powerful, commanding presence. She spoke to our class for about thirty minutes about the importance of using our legal education to make lives better for less fortunate persons.

I was fortunate enough to be among a handful of students who was invited to lunch with her and with a few VIPs from the local bar. She was more interested in speaking to the students than she was with the judges and law faculty. She is very soft-spoken, but I found myself hanging on her every word. She reminded us repeatedly that very few people will ever have the opportunity that was before us and that we had immense power to make better lives for other people.

She was as brilliant and focused in person as her reputation would suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

Sayers was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the first round, fourth overall, in the 1965 NFL Draft, and was also picked fifth overall by the Kansas City Chiefs of the American Football League in the AFL draft. After consulting his wife, he decided would rather play in Chicago, signing with George Halas's Bears. In his rookie year, he scored an NFL-record 22 touchdowns: 14 rushing, six receiving, and one each on punt and kickoff returns. He gained 2,272 all-purpose yards, a record for an NFL rookie, with 1,371 of them coming from scrimmage. Sayers averaged 5.2 yards per rush and 17.5 yards per reception. His return averages were 14.9 yards per punt return and a league-high 31.4 yards per kickoff return.
    His life story is one more reason to avoid watching football. The health toll is not worth it.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt...139455608.html

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I had the pleasure of meeting Justice Ginsburg as a law student. She spoke to my 1L Constitutional Law class. The event was unannounced, probably for security reasons. We were told to be early to class, because we would need to go through security screening for a guest lecturer. Rumors circulated that it might be Justice RBG, because her husband was scheduled to speak to the State Bar Association that evening.

Sure enough, she emerged at the front of our class with the dean, the Chief Justice of the state supreme court, and our professor. Despite her small frame, she is a powerful, commanding presence. She spoke to our class for about thirty minutes about the importance of using our legal education to make lives better for less fortunate persons.

I was fortunate enough to be among a handful of students who was invited to lunch with her and with a few VIPs from the local bar. She was more interested in speaking to the students than she was with the judges and law faculty. She is very soft-spoken, but I found myself hanging on her every word. She reminded us repeatedly that very few people will ever have the opportunity that was before us and that we had immense power to make better lives for other people.

She was as brilliant and focused in person as her reputation would suggest.
    Somehow I got stuck with Justice Kennedy. Though, I just heard him talk in a classroom - and he was fine, just not "legendary" like some - I didn't get the lunch thing. How awesome an experience for you.

I did meet Janet Reno back when she was A.G. (she's like 6'3, or so it seemed), she was very interesting, more so than Kennedy.

I would have loved to have met RBG. Our daughters have so many more options bc of women like her.

C.J. Roberts at her memorial: "She loved opera and wanted to be an opera singer, instead she became a rock star" - - pretty good. One could hear the affection in his voice, seemed universal.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

He was so fun to watch. RIP Gale.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Robert Gore, a chemical engineer whose lab experiments with a polymer led unwittingly to the invention of Gore-Tex, the versatile, waterproof material used in ski jackets, aortic stent grafts and spacesuits, died on Sept. 17 at his vacation home in Cecil County, Md. He was 83.

Australian singer Helen Reddy, best known for the feminist anthem "I Am Woman," has died at age 78 in Los Angeles.

During a career that spanned nearly four decades, Reddy released 18 studio albums, with eight hits landing at No. 1 on Billboard's adult contemporary chart. She also acted in films and musicals and made multiple television appearances. She announced her retirement in 2002, but subsequently made a few comeback concert appearances.

Reddy was most closely associated with "I Am Woman" on her debut album in 1971. The song with its reference to "Hear me roar" celebrated female empowerment and made her an icon of the feminist movement.

Reddy died just weeks after the release of a film about her life titled "I Am Woman."

Mac Davis, the singer-songwriter who parlayed pop and country hits into a network TV variety show and acting career, has died. He was 78.

His manager of nearly four decades, Jim Morey, announced Davis’ death on Facebook Tuesday night. “He was a music legend but his most important work was that as a loving husband, father, grandfather and friend,” Morey wrote. “I will miss laughing about our many adventures on the road and his insightful sense of humor.” The Country Music Association later confirmed the news.

Bob Gibson:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...63f29fb4d.html

As competitive as anyone you'll ever see.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Bob Gibson:

One of my 'heros' growing up. I saw the Cards play in 19554-55 with Stan the Man and they were my team for many years. Now I vacillate between them and the Mariners, but still...
    Such a dominate pitcher in a time when pitchers could be all they could be.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Bob Gibson:

1.12 That's it.

Damn it...

Eddie Van Halen, 65

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Damn this year just keeps getting worse.

'I Can See Clearly Now' singer Johnny Nash dies at 80

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/06/enter...ath/index.html
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

As a youngster (& a left-handed pitcher) during Whiteys heyday, he was one of my heroes.

Can we just turn 2020 off and reboot it?

Yes, yes, first world problems, but my god.
    Mark Twain.

Joe Morgan:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/j...er-dead-at-77/

Baseball getting wiped out the last few month's.