Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Notables - Passages

Wow. I've read a handful of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels, always entertaining. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Wow. I've read a handful of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels, always entertaining. RIP.
    I love Cussler.

His son has co-written a few and others have been co-writing as well. It would be my guess that just like the Bourne books didn't die, the Numa books will not either, nor will the other series, Isaac Bell and the Fargos will live on...in my opinion.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I love Cussler.

His son has co-written a few and others have been co-writing as well. It would be my guess that just like the Bourne books didn't die, the Numa books will not either, nor will the other series, Isaac Bell and the Fargos will live on...in my opinion.
    You're probably correct, I think he's been co-writing for a while now. I've read at least one Isaac Bell novel, maybe a couple. I think I read a stand alone book of his as well, might've even been non-fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    You're probably correct, I think he's been co-writing for a while now. I've read at least one Isaac Bell novel, maybe a couple. I think I read a stand alone book of his as well, might've even been non-fiction.
    He has written a couple about his search for historic shipwrecks. One book was centered in the south Pacific and another on the Mississippi, and around the US. They found, and have brought up, the USS Hindley (sp), the first submersible, sunk in the Civil War.

Default Nick Forte

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    He has written a couple about his search for historic shipwrecks. One book was centered in the south Pacific and another on the Mississippi, and around the US. They found, and have brought up, the USS Hindley (sp), the first submersible, sunk in the Civil War.
    I think it was CSS Hunley because it was trying to pass under the Union ships' blockading Charleston Harbor. There was a movie (maybe A&E or the history channel?) about it shortly after we visited Charleston when I was a teen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    I think it was CSS Hunley because it was trying to pass under the Union ships' blockading Charleston Harbor. There was a movie (maybe A&E or the history channel?) about it shortly after we visited Charleston when I was a teen.
    Yep. I am sure you are right. I was going from memory and got the sound of the name right.

Thanks.

Default Trader Joe

Joe Coulombe, who founded Trader Joe’s, the popular grocery known for its kitschy vibe and beloved private label wine dubbed "Two Buck Chuck,'' died late Friday at his Pasadena, California home. He was 89.

Coulombe’s son, also named Joe, said in a statement his father died following a long illness.

Born on June 3, 1930, Coulombe was raised on an avocado ranch in Del Mar, California, near San Diego. He served a year in the Air Force and got a bachelor’s degree in economics, followed by an MBA from Stanford University in 1954.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...89/4884608002/

Trader Joe's "Charles Shaw" private label wine is affectionately known as "Two Buck Chuck" for its affordability.

May his funeral be held someplace that actually has enough available parking.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Default James Lipton, of "Inside the Actors Studio"

James Lipton, who plumbed the dramatic arts through perceptive, mostly admiring interviews with celebrity actors as host of the Bravo television series “Inside the Actors Studio,” died on Monday at his home in Manhattan. He was 93

NYT Obit: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/02/a...imes&smtyp=cur

During his 23-season run as host — he left the show when it moved from Bravo to Ovation TV in 2019 — “Inside the Actors Studio” became a coveted stop for writers, directors and performers, who would give some of their longest and most unguarded interviews to Mr. Lipton.

His manner was sympathetic — fawning, to some, and often lampooned — but the formula worked, and among the 275 or so stars he interviewed were some of the brightest: Paul Newman, Alec Baldwin, Neil Simon, Sally Field, Dennis Hopper and Sidney Lumet, to name a few — and they came along in just the first season.

His raw interviews lasted four to five hours and were then edited down to one hour for television. He had a talent for eliciting unexpected disclosures — what he called “omigod” moments.

Ben Kingsley cried while speaking of his mother’s death. Jack Lemmon revealed his alcoholism so casually that Mr. Lipton did not know whether the actor was describing himself or a character in a movie. Sally Field suggested that Mr. Lipton had read her diary. Julia Roberts asked whether he had called her mother.
    Inside the Actors Studio was one of my favorite shows.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Jack Welch, who led General Electric through two decades of extraordinary corporate prosperity and became the most influential business manager of his generation, died on Sunday at his home in Manhattan. He was 84.

The cause was renal failure, his wife, Suzy Welch, said.

Combative and blunt, Mr. Welch became the chief executive of General Electric in 1981, a few months after Ronald Reagan took office as president. It was a time of outsize gains for many of America’s big, multinational corporations and their leaders, who were helped by lower taxes and pro-business policies.

G.E. led the pack. The company’s revenue jumped nearly fivefold, to $130 billion, during Mr. Welch’s tenure, while the value of its shares on the stock market soared from $14 billion to more than $410 billion.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Bobbie Battista, who was among the original anchors for CNN Headline News and hosted CNN’s “TalkBack Live,” has died. She was 67.

Battista died Tuesday after a four-year battle with cervical cancer, family spokeswoman Wendy Guarisco told CNN.

"Bobbie was the consummate trooper in her struggle with cancer, she was courageous and fearless in her battle and thoughtful for all the others in her life even as she fought through the pain," Battista's husband John Brimelow said in a statement on Tuesday. "My dear partner of 25 years of marriage has cut her earthly bonds and is now in peace."

McCoy Tyner, a cornerstone of John Coltrane’s groundbreaking 1960s quartet and one of the most influential pianists in jazz history, died on Friday at his home in northern New Jersey. He was 81.

His nephew Colby Tyner confirmed the death. No other details were provided.

Along with Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea and only a few others, Mr. Tyner was one of the main expressways of modern jazz piano. Nearly every jazz pianist since Mr. Tyner’s years with Coltrane has had to learn his lessons, whether they ultimately discarded them or not.

RS Obit: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ead-81-963903/

Henri Richard, the Montreal Canadiens’ Hall of Fame center who played on an N.H.L.-record 11 Stanley Cup winners and skated alongside his brother Maurice the Rocket when the Canadiens ruled hockey in the 1950s as the Flying Frenchmen, died on Friday in Laval, Quebec. He was 84.

The Canadiens announced his death. The newspaper Le Journal de Montreal reported in 2015 that he had Alzheimer’s disease.

Henri was 15 years younger than Maurice, who was one of the greatest players in hockey history and a star on three Stanley Cup winners by the time Henri joined the Canadiens in 1955.

He was undersized, even for his era, at 5 feet 7 inches and 160 pounds, and he faced the burden of carrying the name Richard (pronounced ree-SHARD). But he became one of the National Hockey League’s most exciting players. He was a brilliant playmaker, a speedy skater, an outstanding stickhandler and a productive goal-scorer as well. And despite his slight frame, he refused to be intimidated.

Max von Sydow, ‘Seventh Seal,’ ‘Star Wars’ Actor, Dies at 90

https://variety.com/2020/film/actors...90-1203527411/
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/a...oner-dead.html

Lyle Waggoner, Age 84.

Lyle Waggoner, the sable-haired heartthrob best remembered as the announcer and a comic performer in the early years of “The Carol Burnett Show,” and for playing Steve Trevor on the 1970s television versions of “Wonder Woman,” died on Tuesday at his home in Westlake Village, Calif. He was 84.

The cause was cancer, said his agent, Robert Malcolm.

Mr. Waggoner’s dulcet voice, brawny jaw and muscular physique made him seem a natural leading man. But his most recognizable parts were in support of others — Ms. Burnett on her hit comedy-variety show, and Lynda Carter, who played Wonder Woman on ABC and then CBS in the 1970s.
    Stuart Whitman

Stuart Whitman, a ruggedly handsome actor who appeared in countless films and television shows over 50 years, earning an Oscar nomination for his role as a convicted child molester in the 1961 movie “The Mark,” died on Monday at his home in Montecito, Calif. He was 92.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/m...tman-dead.html

Here is to praying this thread doesn't get too busy.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Roger Mayweather, Uncle and Trainer of Floyd, Dies at 58

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/s...ther-dead.html
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)

Kenny Rogers, Who Brought Country Music to a Pop Audience, Dies at 81

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/21/a...gers-dead.html

Curly Neal, Basketball Magician. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...dies-at-age-77.

Richard Reeves, a journalist and author who explored the presidency, the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II, the role of the media and other aspects of American history in muscular, passionate and occasionally acerbic prose, died on Wednesday at his home in Los Angeles. He was 83.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/b...eves-dead.html

Country singer Joe Diffie, 61. His hit songs include Pickup Man and Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox. Cause of death was the Coronavirus.

Former UW Huskies head coach and defensive coordinator Jim Lambright dies at 77

As a player, assistant coach, defensive coordinator and head coach, Jim Lambright participated in more games with the University of Washington football program — 386 — than any other person.

Lambright — an Everett product who most famously helped lead the Huskies to its most recent national championship in 1991 as its defensive coordinator — has died at age 77, the family confirmed on Sunday afternoon. The cause of death was not announced...

John Prine was hospitalized with COVID-19 symptoms on Thursday. He was intubated Saturday evening and is in critical condition. . .

So pleased to see John is doing better.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...-wife-69878185