View Poll Results: GUnit of the Game - Detroit Mercy - 12. 30. 19 ?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Timme

0 0%
  • Ayayi

0 0%
  • Woolridge

82 93.18%
  • Petrusev

1 1.14%
  • Watson

2 2.27%
  • Kispert

0 0%
  • Gilder

0 0%
  • Other. . .(and why)

3 3.41%

Thread: GUnit of the Game - Detroit Mercy - 12. 30. 19

Default GUnit of the Game - Detroit Mercy - 12. 30. 19

STATS: https://gozags.com/sidearmstats/mbball/media

BOX SCORE: https://gozags.com/mens-basketball/2...mercy/7268/pdf

The final GUnit of 2019 comes from a workmanlike 93 - 72 victory by the Bulldogs. The Titans were lead by Antoine Davis' 31 points

Zags shot 73% from the field in the first half and were 8 - 13 on their FT attempts. They finished 33-65 (51%) and finished 17 - 24 (70.8%) from the charity stripe

Tillie was available but DNP. Anton Watson had 11 points, 3 boards, 2 STL, 2 BLK in 19 minutes.

Who are you toasting tonight as the player of the game ?
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-31-2019 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added Box Score link

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Woolridge with the sweet stroke and pretty dimes.

21 points, 6 rebounds, 8 assists and only 1 TO... This game was all about Wooly.

Woolridge — scoring, steals,8 assists and some fine defense against a great player.

Go Zags!!!

I went with Lang for the monster garbage time rebound and three pointer.

Wooly
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Woolridge. An awesome display of basketball skills. He's getting comfortable in that Zag uniform.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

WOOLY

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Woolridge. An awesome display of basketball skills. He's getting comfortable in that Zag uniform.

Go Zags!!!
    Imagine his numbers if he had started with the Zags as a freshman. Its great to see him grow as the season goes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Petrusev had a good game, Woolridge had a better one. Ryan for the GUnit!
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

- I'm liking the wooly nickname.

- my word what a pleasant surprise he has been this year, no better, a great surprise. he and ayayi, way past expectations!

Woolridge is absolutely electric !

isn't this the most nearly unanimous vote ever seen on the GUnit of the game ? wow, go Ryan

Woolridge continues to impress me. Prior to the season, I expected him to fill a role akin to the part Geno Crandall played for last year’s team. I expected him to be a serviceable ball handler who could provide depth and experience for a young back court. He has been far more than that. His defense has been outstanding. He is a smart point guard who makes great decisions with the basketball. He controls offensive tempo as well as any guard I can remember for this team. He can push the ball in transition or grind out a long half-court possession. He is a threat to score at any time, but he chooses his own shots wisely. He has been the the maestro of this top five offense.

He will be an All-WCC player when those awards are announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Woolridge continues to impress me. Prior to the season, I expected him to fill a role akin to the part Geno Crandall played for last year’s team. I expected him to be a serviceable ball handler who could provide depth and experience for a young back court. He has been far more than that. His defense has been outstanding. He is a smart point guard who makes great decisions with the basketball. He controls offensive tempo as well as any guard I can remember for this team. He can push the ball in transition or grind out a long half-court possession. He is a threat to score at any time, but he chooses his own shots wisely. He has been the the maestro of this top five offense.

He will be an All-WCC player when those awards are announced.
    No doubt. He’s MVP so far, with Kiss and Petro right behind. After some brilliant games, Joel’s kinda disappeared. Thought Timme played a great first half and Watty a great 2d half. Have to temper all this praise for the weak comp, but even in a scrimmage they’d look good.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Imagine his numbers if he had started with the Zags as a freshman. Its great to see him grow as the season goes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I voted for him also...it was a complete game...one of the best of a PG this decade...IMO

Interesting point about him playing all four years at GU...he has the quickness of Meech, the passing skills of Josh and the ability to shot 3's like Pangos...having him and Josh play together for four years!!! Just goes to show that recruiting is a hit-or-miss...and to prove a point, just checked on Hepa from UT...he has yet to blossom...

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    isn't this the most nearly unanimous vote ever seen on the GUnit of the game ? wow, go Ryan
    When I voted it was still unanimous. I thought I messed it up, but others followed suit. He played great. He converts defensive rebounds to offense as quickly as I can recall of any Zag— almost any rebound can be a fast break. I have to think this is a big enough factor that other teams have to think twice about how aggressive they are on their offensive glass (eg do I let my guards crash the offensive glass?)

I didn't look at the poll results until after I checked the box score and voted ... for Petrusev. Wooly was fantastic. Petrusev ran the floor with authority showing some dribbling and passing skills and finishing well at the rim. Ok ... Woolridge deserves the GUnit. Can't change my vote now though. Glad to see Watson out there getting into the mix and in double figures scoring.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Jim Meehan solves the Wooly bandage mystery:

Senior point guard Ryan Woolridge has been wearing a sizable bandage on the back of his neck for weeks as a result of his first – and last – cupping treatment.

Cupping involves suction cups placed on the body to help with pain, inflammation and aching muscles. When the cup was pulled off Woolridge, a small bump developed on his neck. He said two hairs became infected so the bump was removed.

“It looks like a bullet hole,” he said. “I couldn’t move my neck. I had to play through it. I’ll never do it again.”

This is such crazy timing because everyone I watched the game with was asking about it. He probably got an abscess, from the description above. They “remove” it by puncturing it and draining out all of the dead white blood cells and infected gunk. It definitely can leave a small hole, and it takes a while to heal from the inside out. It’s pretty wild that he could play with that because they can be very painful. He had some so-so games and that seems like the most likely explanation.

I think I remember seeing red circles on his arm/chest/shoulder area several games ago, so someone could go back and look at old games to see when the cupping occurred.

He might want to try blood letting, ear candling, leaches, or sleeping under a pyramid. All equally valid scientifically. Good grief

Parking this factoid here for the 12/30 game vs. Detroit Mercy

Single-season 3-point shots
    Challenger: Antoine Davis (Detroit Mercy)

Leader: Stephen Curry (Davidson) — 162 3PM

Antoine Davis set the Division I freshman record by making 132 3’s last season, surpassing a mark previously set by Stephen Curry in 2007. Next, Davis could be a candidate to break another of Curry’s records: the single-season 3-point record.

Curry buried 162 triples as a sophomore, a record that’s stood since 2008. He was a trend-setter, a trailblazer when it came to knocking down shots from the perimeter. At Davidson, he lived beyond the arc. Now Davis has established residency behind the 3-point line at Detroit Mercy.