Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 noise?

Caldwell did kindly allude to the fact that Ravet was no longer in the plans. Some needed a bit more than that to be convinced. I appreciated your respectful and concise response much earlier, Caldwell, as well as all who contribute here.

I think we should pray and hold good thoughts for the young man and his family, irrespective of silly stuff like whether he’ll play hoops or go to another school.

Quote Originally Posted by zagman22 View Post
    Information came from about as close to the horses mouth as you can get. Sounds like Ravet had second thoughts going all the way back to his visit when still in hs. Sounds like playing at Gonzaga was more of a dream of his dads then it was his. Interpret that how you wish.
    That’s, sadly, not uncommon in our crazed youth sports culture.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Caldwell did kindly allude to the fact that Ravet was no longer in the plans. Some needed a bit more than that to be convinced. I appreciated your respectful and concise response much earlier, Caldwell, as well as all who contribute here.
    I missed his earlier comment. I am not sure how, but when Larsen withdrew, didn't the staff make an announcement of sorts? The only definitive word I have seen on Ravet is a 'leave of absence'.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    No chance with Christie?
    sounds like pretty much a lock for duke now...recruiting is fluid however, so you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    No chance with Christie?
    We are still putting time and effort in on him, we were in to watch him earlier this month, I just forgot to add him on the list.

I believe that Chet will be a Zag next on that list. Pair him and Perry inside and dang that's impressive on the defensive end!!!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I missed his earlier comment. I am not sure how, but when Larsen withdrew, didn't the staff make an announcement of sorts? The only definitive word I have seen on Ravet is a 'leave of absence'.
    I edited the post and added that in later. Sorry I don't normally do that but with Ravet I felt that was better than a whole new post.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    sounds like pretty much a lock for duke now...recruiting is fluid however, so you never know.
    I wouldn't say a lock, but Duke is a favorite.

I think you are correct willandi, the Larsen situation was much more straight forward as Larsen himself declared that he had "left" the team. I completely respect that at this point we have not gotten anything "official" on Ravet as of yet and understand the distinction.

Outside of Caldwell's allusions, I think the late interest in Tyrin Lawrence suggests the program may be looking to replace Ravet's guard depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    I'd say we will have 3 to 4 open spots, if Suggs is on the team.
    I do think that Petrusev leaves for the pro's after this season so that would put us at two open spots (if Suggs took one). I don't see anyone else leaving early for the pro's but it could happen and there's always a chance someone leaves the program. So, we probably have three we could fill (after Suggs) but it's possible only two if Lawrence comes aboard.

I am trusting on what I have heard from the staff and the people that know what is going on. I am not ASSUMING anything.

If you have any news, please feel free to share it.
    "[T]he staff and the people that know what is going on" have not told you recently that Ravet is on the team. You are assuming that nothing has changed since the time they last told you he was on the team.

We all make assumptions (inferences?) all day every day. It's okay.

I can’t imagine there’s a path to BOTH Chet and Paolo, is there? Obviously either would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I do think that Petrusev leaves for the pro's after this season so that would put us at two open spots (if Suggs took one). I don't see anyone else leaving early for the pro's but it could happen and there's always a chance someone leaves the program. So, we probably have three we could fill (after Suggs) but it's possible only two if Lawrence comes aboard.
    I will be astonished if Petrusev stays another year.
    And, there's a chance Ayayi goes pro after this year too. That would be the fourth open spot.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I wouldn't say a lock, but Duke is a favorite.
    Agreed here that duke is not a lock. Getting him to come this far West will be tough but Max is a unique kid. He does not handle recruiting like most which is advantage us. I am honestly not that concerned about Duke with this recruitment (as compared to how most feel) but things change quickly with recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Probably 5 spots will be open by then. Priority recruits Chet, Paolo, Watson, Bittle, Collins, and Gregg is playing his way in. Others will arise during the spring/summer.

Ravet is not likely to be on the Zags roster moving forward.
    Are we really still considering Paolo and Bittle that much considering they are virtual locks for other programs? How does Gregg not have an offer yet? He seems underranked nationally so far and should only keep rising. Also, what happened with Jackson Grant? Was he just always a for sure UW Lock? I hate to see top in-state kids get away. Any foreign prospects? Are we out completely on Isael Silva?

I will be astonished if Petrusev stays another year.
    And, there's a chance Ayayi goes pro after this year too. That would be the fourth open spot.
    If Ayayi wants to play in the NBA, he is not leaving. I like Joel, but he needs at least one more year in the program to even have a shot at the NBA. I would think Kispert has a better shot at the NBA this draft than Ayayi although I don't see him leaving either. I'm only seeing four spots maximum before any decision is made by Suggs or Lawrence.

"[T]he staff and the people that know what is going on" have not told you recently that Ravet is on the team. You are assuming that nothing has changed since the time they last told you he was on the team.

We all make assumptions (inferences?) all day every day. It's okay.
    This is really a reach to justify your position.
    I had not seen the Caldwell quote that he was no longer in the Zags plans. With that, I agree that someone that I consider to have 'insider' knowledge, has clarified the situation.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    Agreed here that duke is not a lock. Getting him to come this far West will be tough but Max is a unique kid. He does not handle recruiting like most which is advantage us. I am honestly not that concerned about Duke with this recruitment (as compared to how most feel) but things change quickly with recruiting
    Right in the heart of Big 10 country. A lot going against us but reading articles on him it seems like he’s gonna be pretty thoughtful about this decision. Having a 1 next to our name all year probably wouldn’t hurt.

If Ayayi wants to play in the NBA, he is not leaving. I like Joel, but he needs at least one more year in the program to even have a shot at the NBA. I would think Kispert has a better shot at the NBA this draft than Ayayi although I don't see him leaving either. I'm only seeing four spots maximum before any decision is made by Suggs or Lawrence.
    Makes complete sense. But I give you Mr Zach Norvell.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post

Vulture's point doesn't make sense at all, as it relies on a mistaken belief that a player needs or should be "ready" for the NBA in order to leave college and enter the draft.It's simply not true. Many players will be highly coveted and highly drafted who are guys even NBA teams would acknowledge are not "ready" for the NBA, and they will be more highly regarding and drafted and valued than players whom NBA teams would admit "are ready for the NBA". MileHigh explained this all very thoroughly regarding Norvell a few months ago. Another year in college was almost certainly not going to significantly change Norvell's draft status a that point.

If Joel (or the other Joels out there) enter the draft this year, they'll be selected because the team sees a 3 or 4 or 6 year upside, not because the team sees an NBA ready player.

I give Joel a 60% chance of going pro after this year.

There simply aren't many who reasonably expect to be top 30-40 in the draft and who don't jump at the opportunity.

This is really a reach to justify your position.
    I had not seen the Caldwell quote that he was no longer in the Zags plans. With that, I agree that someone that I consider to have 'insider' knowledge, has clarified the situation.
    My point was that most knowledge is assumption based on limited observation. NBD. Just an aside. I'm not trying to turn this into a conversation about epistemology.

(A side point is that, in this case, the most reasonable assumption is that Ravet's not coming back.)

More’s the pity. Don’t agree but I hear you. I’m sure Goss would have liked that extra year back.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Vulture's point doesn't make sense at all, as it relies on a mistaken belief that a player needs or should be "ready" for the NBA in order to leave college and enter the draft.It's simply not true. Many players will be highly coveted and highly drafted who are guys even NBA teams would acknowledge are not "ready" for the NBA, and they will be more highly regarding and drafted and valued than players whom NBA teams would admit "are ready for the NBA". MileHigh explained this all very thoroughly regarding Norvell a few months ago. Another year in college was almost certainly not going to significantly change Norvell's draft status a that point.

If Joel (or the other Joels out there) enter the draft this year, they'll be selected because the team sees a 3 or 4 or 6 year upside, not because the team sees an NBA ready player.

There simply aren't many who reasonably expect to be top 30-40 in the draft and who don't jump at the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Fair enough. Let me reword, if Ayayi wants to be drafted in the NBA he won't leave after this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default 2021 noise?

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

My point doesn't make sense to you as we have a different opinion on his game. I know how the NBA drafts on potential and I think there is little chance he's drafted if he went pro this year. He's not even showing on one reputable draft site. Not sure where you are seeing 30-40 in the draft.

Now, do I think he declares to go thru the process and returns, yes. But I'd say the odds of him being drafted are less than 20%.

He's not even showing on one reputable draft site. Not sure where you are seeing 30-40 in the draft.

Sports Illustrated #21

Bleacher Report #29

You're right, I'm not seeing him 30-40. He's projected ahead of that.