Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2021 noise?

Caldwell, thanks for all your hard work on this forum. I check it daily.
    Could you possibly give a little more info on the players? First names, states, etc? I have no idea who most of these people are.

Also, could we create another forum so we can talk about nothing but fellow posters? Sometimes this recruiting forum gets in the way of personal squabbles. (sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post

Also, could we create another forum so we can talk about nothing but fellow posters? (sarcasm)

Stick it!!

You got me laughing out loud, two three.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Caldwell, thanks for all your hard work on this forum. I check it daily.
    Could you possibly give a little more info on the players? First names, states, etc? I have no idea who most of these people are.

Also, could we create another forum so we can talk about nothing but fellow posters? Sometimes this recruiting forum gets in the way of personal squabbles. (sarcasm)
    Isn't that what the foo is for?
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Chet Holmgren 4
    Paolo Banchero 3
    Payton Watson 32
    Nathan Bittle 14
    Zane Collins 47
    Hunter Sallis 42
    Max Christie 13
    Ben Gregg 56
    Isa Silva 31
    Kaden Perry 109

One name that keeps popping up in conversations is a 2022 guy, he is really good Skyy Clark, he could be a Dom Harris type recruit for us, meaning we offer him way earlier than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    If we had the "ideal" class it would be

Chet or Bittle
    Paolo
    Watson or Christie
    Collins or Sallis

Look for some kind of arrangement of 2 bigs, a wing, and a guard.
    Remember we have Perry already as well. Going to be some “big boy” decisions made by the staff as to how to prioritize these guys. I do believe we have a realistic chance with your entire list but especially Paolo, Chet, Bittle, Watson, and Collins. We can”t take them all so it will be interesting to see who we prioritize or if we just go guns blazing at all of them and let the chips fall. Our roster is so strong that there is not an obvious “let’s hope he transfers” guy to make room for the above. Crazy times in Zag land!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    Remember we have Perry already as well. Going to be some “big boy” decisions made by the staff as to how to prioritize these guys. I do believe we have a realistic chance with your entire list but especially Paolo, Chet, Bittle, Watson, and Collins. We can”t take them all so it will be interesting to see who we prioritize or if we just go guns blazing at all of them and let the chips fall. Our roster is so strong that there is not an obvious “let’s hope he transfers” guy to make room for the above. Crazy times in Zag land!
    True with Perry. I see Perry being a 2-3 year guy so Paolo would be the 4 his freshman year and Perry would get spot minutes as a freshman. I think we will push for 3-4 of these guys hard, Paolo and Chet being priority 1/2.

It is so interesting seeing our recruiting level change from three star and four star guys with occasional international 5 stars to 4 star and some 5 star Americans. I hope we go the MSU route of one top 20 guy and the rest top 100 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    It is so interesting seeing our recruiting level change from three star and four star guys with occasional international 5 stars to 4 star and some 5 star Americans. I hope we go the MSU route of one top 20 guy and the rest top 100 per year.
    Essentially that is what we are doing. Look at the class of 2020, Suggs Top 10, Harris and Strawther top 60. Jalen will most likely be one and done but the other two will be 2-4 year guys. The 2021 class has 4 top 15 guys we are looking at, but the rest top 50. Even though we are in a good spot with 3 of the Top 15 guys ultimately we will not land all three, so the rest of the class will fill out with Top 50 guys.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more international players mixed in the 2020/2021 classes as well, as that is what the foot print of Gonzaga has been!

I definitely hope to see GU avoid relying on multiple one-and-done players every year. I don’t think it is a good strategy for most teams, and it barely works for the teams that it works for (if that makes sense). In college ball, experienced upperclassmen seem to beat talented freshmen. Team culture/family atmosphere is a huge thing at GU, I think, and it would be hard to keep it if people are leaving every 1-2 years. As a fan, winning is first but getting to know the players and watching them grow is a close second for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I definitely hope to see GU avoid relying on multiple one-and-done players every year. I don’t think it is a good strategy for most teams, and it barely works for the teams that it works for (if that makes sense). In college ball, experienced upperclassmen seem to beat talented freshmen. Team culture/family atmosphere is a huge thing at GU, I think, and it would be hard to keep it if people are leaving every 1-2 years. As a fan, winning is first but getting to know the players and watching them grow is a close second for me.
    See Kentucky. All these top rated classes and they’ve hardly done anything in March in years.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    See Kentucky. All these top rated classes and they’ve hardly done anything in March in years.
    Totally. They seem to struggle at the beginning of the year, too. I don’t think GU could handle the early slip ups as readily as UK can because of the inverted schedule. The Zags need to hit the ground running every year.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Essentially that is what we are doing. Look at the class of 2020, Suggs Top 10, Harris and Strawther top 60. Jalen will most likely be one and done but the other two will be 2-4 year guys. The 2021 class has 4 top 15 guys we are looking at, but the rest top 50. Even though we are in a good spot with 3 of the Top 15 guys ultimately we will not land all three, so the rest of the class will fill out with Top 50 guys.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more international players mixed in the 2020/2021 classes as well, as that is what the foot print of Gonzaga has been!
    I like having the international players too, there hasn't been much talk about any for these 20/21 classes, but they do seem to come out of nowhere sometimes. The last I can remember was some interest in Kancleris from Lithuania, but havent heard him mentioned in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I like having the international players too, there hasn't been much talk about any for these 20/21 classes, but they do seem to come out of nowhere sometimes. The last I can remember was some interest in Kancleris from Lithuania, but havent heard him mentioned in a long time.
    Was also wondering about international guys. Haven’t really heard any names. Caldwell, are there any international guys you’ve heard mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    That's because they are no longer playing St Aloysius.

Quote Originally Posted by ttown0026 View Post
    Was also wondering about international guys. Haven’t really heard any names. Caldwell, are there any international guys you’ve heard mentioned?
    There are a few names I have heard, but nothing that gained a lot of traction yet. I don't see one for 2020, it's more 2021 that the names have come from.

Could also mean that the international route might become less of a bread and butter for recruiting and move into the gravy zone...

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Could also mean that the international route might become less of a bread and butter for recruiting and move into the gravy zone...
    Um...Olynyk, Sabonis, Hashimura, Tillie and Ballo aren’t enough sauce?

If the NBA is looking around the globe, then Gonzaga should stay home? One of the nicest aspects of international recruiting is getting players that stay at Gonzaga a little longer than USA one and dones in order to adjust and take advantage of Gonzaga’s comfy supportive environment while gaming national recognition.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Um...Olynyk, Sabonis, Hashimura, Tillie and Ballo aren’t enough sauce?

If the NBA is looking around the globe, then Gonzaga should stay home? One of the nicest aspects of international recruiting is getting players that stay at Gonzaga a little longer than USA one and dones in order to adjust and take advantage of Gonzaga’s comfy supportive environment while gaming national recognition.

This take is spot on!

In ESPN's latest list of top prospects regardless of class Holmgren was 6 and Banchero was 11. Suggs checked in at 8 as well.

Arizona, Washington prioritizing 2021 wing Peyton Watson

https://247sports.com/college/basket...gon-142807151/

“Gonzaga they text and call me every day. They have a really good relationship with my parents."

Liked reading this; but get the feeling he may want the bigger exposure of a P6 school. Nonetheless, I hope we land him.

Agreed, you really want to have someone who wants to be at GU.

He talks about Arizona's winning culture, but doesn't mention the Zags who lately have been better (without any drama's, probably why his parents like GU)....

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post
    Agreed, you really want to have someone who wants to be at GU.

He talks about Arizona's winning culture, but doesn't mention the Zags who lately have been better (without any drama's, probably why his parents like GU)....
    Arizona’s winning culture? ��

waiting for the blue bloods to come calling...

Interesting that there isn’t much popping on the internal front right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time