View Poll Results: GUnit of the Decade: 2000-2019 ?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kevin Pangos

8 8.51%
  • Kelly Olynyk

10 10.64%
  • Przemek Karnowski

33 35.11%
  • Domantas Sabonis

10 10.64%
  • Nigel Williams-Goss

10 10.64%
  • Rui Hachimura

1 1.06%
  • Brandon Clarke

4 4.26%
  • Josh Perkins

10 10.64%
  • Courtney Vandersloot

8 8.51%
  • Other ( And Why. . .)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the GUnit of the Decade?

Default Who is the GUnit of the Decade?

Who is your choice and why?

GUnit of the Decade

Courtney Vandersloot
    Kevin Pangos
    Kelly Olynyk
    Przemek Karnowski
    Domantas Sabonis
    Josh Perkins
    Nigel Williams-Goss
    Rui Hachimura
    Brandon Clarke
    Other?
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

KO - Olynyk Clinic!
    Kelly’s process/time @ GU helped considerably with big man recruiting - still does.
    https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...of-the-decadeJ

NWG.
    As a first team all american he carried us to our first final four.
    He might have carried us to a NC if he had not sprained his ankle in the last 2 minutes of the National championship game.

Domas the Lionhearted.

GUnit of the decade?

I will go with the winningest NCAA D1 player of all time ... Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award winner ... Gonzaga's Przemek Karnowski.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Default Who is the GUnit of the Decade?

I agree with Kelly Olynyk. His decision to stay with GU and trust the staff established a reputation for our program that attracts top level talent world wide.

Because of this reputation GU attracts players who are serious about learning their craft and becoming professionals. Mark Few and GU really do have a school for basketball, not just a team. Olynyk is the preeminent graduate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

If this was based on stats it’s easily Clarke, but I go NWG. Then the Bonus, then Olynyk, then Pangos then the rest.
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Sloot.

2K & 1K.

Beamonesque?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Have to sleep on it, but I'm not inclined to vote for anyone who didn't spend four years in the program.

Zags who played 4 seasons in the 10 seasons covered from 2009-10 to 2018-19 include:

Harris
    Stockton
    Dower
    Pangos
    Karnowski
    Dranginis
    Hart
    Perkins
    Melson
    Bell

Tough choices on this one. No wrong answers either. It's a subjective matter of opinions.

Sloot was the best 4 year player the school had during that time frame; 2000 / 1000 speaks for itself (and why her number isn't retired I'll never know); but she never received a vote as GUnit of the Game. . .
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-30-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Toughest poll ever. I could make a compelling case for any of the 9 choices.
    I’m not sure I can pick one.

The previous decade was much easier.

I chose to answer based on who probably got or deserved the most total G Unit of the game awards.

So I answered Pangos.

Karnowski. Winningest player in NCAA history. There are G-Units awarded only when the game is won. Karno was on the court to help others when they were the G-Unit. He’s the ultimate G-Unit

Sabonis. Will be an NBA long term player only second to Stockton- Gonzaga legend will continue as he grows to become a household name in time. Sloot is also a star but this is the Men’s Basketball forum and while I love our lady Zags, they are not the ones who got the nation to learn how to pronounce Gonzaga correctly
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

For me it was easy.

NWG - As perfect a college basketball player as one could find.

Led the best Zag team ever, and one can argue that without a twisted ankle in the last two minutes would likely have led us to a national title.

The game at BYU sticks in my mind. BYU kept threatening to make it close in front of 22,000, and every time we needed a basket to keep the cushion, NWG found a way to score. The color guy on TV kept repeating "He has mastered the college game."

I agree.

We finished 2 minutes from a national championship, and he was the essential player on that team.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    GUnit of the decade?

I will go with the winningest NCAA D1 player of all time ... Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award winner ... Gonzaga's Przemek Karnowski.

Sloot. Closest thing to john Stockton (sorry David) the program has ever had. She was the best passer of the decade. She made the whole team better and Gonzaga basketball is played a team sport! Second would have been Kelly for showing the way for player development.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Sloot. Closest thing to john Stockton (sorry David) the program has ever had. She was the best passer of the decade. She made the whole team better and Gonzaga basketball is played a team sport! Second would have been Kelly for showing the way for player development.
    Sloot. Those tourney games at the arena were amazing. The whole city came out for the Lady Zags and Courtney didn’t disappoint.

it’s got to be more than points scored or assists or rebounds . All this is fine but the Essence of a players contribution s to his or her team is more elusive. Some do pop out though. Most important ones didn’t stay here long. Clarke , Nigel, Sabonis all were incredibly important but ... rephrasing though who made the biggest impact ie have one kid who got us somewhere we otherwise without him or her we would not have achieved. Woman’s ? Sloot. Men’s? Nigel.

Gunit of the decade has to be a four year player in my opinion. I voted for PK, but Sloot is right there.

1. Brandon Clarke. Super productive and efficient.
    2. Kelly Olynyk. Super productive and efficient as well.
    3. Nigel Williams Goss. Strong with the ball. Presence.
    4. Domantas Sabonis. Tough, smart, and big.

That is how I would rank them. If I were to create an all decade team and the idea was to win games against elite college level competition (and not a beauty/popularity contest) they would certainly be the first four I would put on it.
    I miss Mike Hart

In my view it should be the player that amassed the most single GUnits of the game in their career as a Zag. Anybody bored enough to do the research?
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Isn’t there simply an arithmetic answer? Something like average G units per year, to treat for disparate years at GU?

Nice. With Rui at the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    1. Brandon Clarke. Super productive and efficient.
    2. Kelly Olynyk. Super productive and efficient as well.
    3. Nigel Williams Goss. Strong with the ball. Presence.
    4. Domantas Sabonis. Tough, smart, and big.

That is how I would rank them. If I were to create an all decade team and the idea was to win games against elite college level competition (and not a beauty/popularity contest) they would certainly be the first four I would put on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Nice. With Rui at the 2.
    What I flat out love about this thread is that there is no "incorrect" answer.

Virtually EVERY post I've read has gotten me thinking ... "He (or she) is right !" ... "That makes perfect sense !".

I guess when all is said and done, this is a good situation to be in. I know Doc and Silicon have Creighton roots ... and my guess is that their "CUnit" of the decade would be a little easier to pick.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Yea, Dougie McBuckets and pray for rain.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    What I flat out love about this thread is that there is no "incorrect" answer.

Virtually EVERY post I've read has gotten me thinking ... "He (or she) is right !" ... "That makes perfect sense !".

I guess when all is said and done, this is a good situation to be in. I know Doc and Silicon have Creighton roots ... and my guess is that their "CUnit" of the decade would be a little easier to pick.