Thread: Bragging Rights - Conference Season Poll

Default Bragging Rights - Conference Season Poll

Now that you are digesting your Christmas goodies and have to wait until Sunday for your Lady Zags to boot it up for conference season, it is time for our annual conference season poll. You have had a couple of months and 12 games to evaluate your lady zags and their potential. Are they going to continue to bring it into the conference season? Are the Gaels going to drag the ladies down into the mud for a rugby scrum? What about last year's nemesis the Lady Cougars from BYU. Is BYU going to fight for their WCC tournament title or is the loss of Gonzales too much to overcome? Does Pacific have enough talent around Brooklyn McDavid and Valerie Higgins to challenge the Lady Zags and the rest of the WCC for a spot in the top 2 or 3 in league?

Here are your poll questions for this season?

1. What will the Lady Zags record be in the 2019-2020 conference season?
    2. Who will win the WCC conference Championship?
    3. Who will win the WCC tournament.

Tiebreaker Question:

A. What will the Lady Zags be seeded in the NCAA tournament?

Participation costs nothing and no returns will be accepted.

Winner gets bragging rights until next basketball season.

What Say You Wbb board members?

ZagDad

1. 16-2, one team plays their best game ever and Zags have one bad game.
    2. GU, the rest of the league beats each other up.
    3. GU

Tiebreaker: 5 seed, because of one bad game and a serious bias against the mid majors.

Of course what I WANT is 18-0, GU, GU, and a 3 seed!! GO ZAGS! And a great 2020 to all of you!

I agree with a lot of what OldGoat predicts...

I’m going with 17-1 in conference just because of having some veteran coaches who seem to get the most out of their players when playing GU. GU will get their opponents “A” game all season.

As for the conference tournament... the GU Women will bring it.

As for seeding... I’m concerned with GUs RPI loosing ground because of the conference. I’m also concerned with the number of PAC 12 teams in the top 20. As for hosting... I hope it happens but because of the PAC 12 numbers, we may be put at a 5 to allow them to host...

Anyway a lot of games to be played... looking forward to Sunday at 1:00.

Go Zag!!

1. 16-2 - GU drops road games at Pacific and USF
    2. GU
    3. GU
    Seeding: 4 - Zags get some love for being ranked all season

1. Gonzaga runs the table, with a close win at the Spanos center, 18-0!
    2. GU
    3. GU

I believe if their defensive efforts continue to improve through out the WCC... by seeding time, GU will at least be a #3 seed.

The Tigers if they can assimilate the 'new' talent to the team... may climb to #2 or #3. This week-end, starting @Santa Clara and then @USF, will tell how much they need to improve. Center position is key, and the potential is there, but the individual is not yet back in shape after having been out of playing for 1 1/2 years ... her progress and a few of the newcomers playing unified ... will make Pacific a tough out at the tourney.... They have improved somewhat defensively, but must continue to improve the rest of the year, if they expect to match the Lady Zag's Defensive intensity! IMO

CLF is a 'seasoned coach' who is in her prime and ascending!!! The rest of the WCC Coaches are trying to 'catch up' and match her 'program's elite status'!!! The "bar" keeps going up... which is good for the entire WCC, IMO!

Kemo, you beat me to it.

I am going all in on this years team.

Last year's team had their opportunity (2 actually) to host the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament. BYU took away the first chance with a victory in Provo (LS missing the last second shot) which is understandable, but what was not acceptable (to the Lady Zags anyway) was losing in the kennel (lost opportunity to host #2) and losing the WCC tournament in the Kennel South. The ladies had the opportunity in their hands and they let it slip away (yes BYU played extremely well). I think this year's Lady Zag team knows that every game from here on out is a game that may determine their opportunity to host the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament. Win out and you host the first two rounds. Lose even one game and you put your fate in the hands of the NCAA Committee, which does not reward mid-major teams very often.

I think the depth, aggressiveness and consistency of this year's team will prevent a fall-off of even one game. Pass me the Kool-Aid (Cherry please):

Gonzaga becomes the first WCC team to win out during the 18 game conference schedule going 18-0.
    Gonzaga wins the conference championship.
    Lady Zags take matters into their own hands and win it all in Las Vegas.

Committee recognizes Gonzaga as the best mid-major Wbb team, but only gives it a #4 seed but they host the first two rounds in Spokane and make it to the Sweet 16.

Drink up ladies and gents, the Kool-Aid is getting warm.

Zag Up,

ZagDad

I'm too chicken to make predictions....I get nervous at all the games and have to keep telling myself...."its only a game" time and again....and, I close my eyes during free throws....an old habit from when we played UCLA in the NCAA and Court was shooting FT's towards the end of the game....of course, she hit them both....

I think even with the loss of Z and chandler and ls, we might be a better team this year....the Truongs are more advanced and polished then I would have expected and they are quicker then LS....Mel seems to be getting the role of inside strength ala Z..and the team has jelled trying all to be chandlers......

of course there is no replacing those players.....but we have enough players with a little different skill set that we can actually be better this year...

here's hoping...

GO ZAGS!

I feel like GU can run the table, but I'll say 17-1 to hedge my bet. GU should sweep regular season and conference tourney titles. Don't know about seed. They should have a gaudy record, but lacking the pair of wins like they had over Stanford and Rutgers last season. Missouri St. and Purdue (?) aren't quite the same. If they finish with only 2 losses it would be hard to see them not hosting opening rounds of the Tourney.

Watching a few games of various teams and looking at scores from OOC, I thought Pacific was clearly the 2nd best team in the WCC, but what do I know? They lost their opener to Santa Clara today. BYU struggled badly in OOC but won their conference opener handily today. Gonna take a while to sort things out.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Here are your poll questions for this season?
    1. What will the Lady Zags record be in the 2019-2020 conference season?
    2. Who will win the WCC conference Championship?
    3. Who will win the WCC tournament.

Tiebreaker Question:
    A. What will the Lady Zags be seeded in the NCAA tournament?
    1. 18-0
    2. GU
    3. GU

A. I agree with Charlie Creme. 4 Seed, hosting in The Kennel.

I'm not saying its going to be easy. To the contrary,.... to achieve an 18-0 season will require the focus and tenacity shown in the second half of the UP game be present, full time, for all remaining games. I predict that 6 or more of the 18 games will be determined by 5 points or less. But I truly believe that an 18-0 season is possible.

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I did a little fact finding before making this prediction. I compared all 10 WCC team's OOC performance against their opponents, and ranked them against the other WCC teams. I realized that these values would not be a "level playing field", since the 10 WCC teams played against different teams (OVERALL MARGIN RANK). So, I factored in the current SOS to adjust the ranking of the 10 WCC teams (Modified Margin Rank). As a result, you can see that I am not surprised at all that UP gave us problems, as their overall rank is 2nd to GU.

Please note I am aware that there are multiple statistical process errors in this analysis (I'm an engineer, not a statistician) and that there are many variables that can change the landscape in the blink of an eye during the season. The truth will be known in less than 3 months from now.

For what its worth, here is a summary of the data from the OOC portion of the 2019-2020 season taken from gozags.com for GU and the comparable websites for the other 9 schools. There is some interesting information from the chart below. For example, look at the bottom category, "Foul Margin". 7 of the 10 WCC teams fouled more than their opponents. We are in a very physical conference.

GO ZAGS!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Zagineer,

Just like me and Kemo, you went all in and pushed all your chips to the middle and bet on 18-0 and today we came within a couple of minutes of leaving the table very, very early.

It is going to be a long and bumpy, but hopefully very successful 3 months

Welcome back,

ZagDad