Thread: Looking years ahead

Default Looking years ahead

I love Mark Few. I hope he never retires. I feel the only way Gonzaga can maintain this level after or if Few leaves is if Tommy Lloyd takes over. Will he hang around? Other assistants have not faired well. Tommy should stay and that brings to who is the next overseas guru.

As far as I know it must be a name that is recognizable. Candidates would be , 1. R. Turiaf, 2. M. Santangelo, 3. Afam Morrison, 4. Blake Stepp, 5. Dan Dickau.

Thoughts?

Not enough action as somebody else pointed out so I thought this would be a start.

I’d bet it’d be more along the lines of a Kyle Bankhead or Brian Michaelson if not Tommy Lloyd.

Great players rarely make great coaches. There are exceptions, of course. But I'm with TL.

It’ll be tommy
    Qualified for 21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    It’ll be tommy
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Great players rarely make great coaches. There are exceptions, of course. But I'm with TL.
    What are some traits of great recruiters? At this point does it come down to preexisting program reputation/hype?

If extroversion/warmth/personal magnetism (and multiple languages) matters, Turiaf is a good starting place.

I've actually heard that replacing Few is in Tommy's contract. A recent article addressed it and I didn't read it as tongue in cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYMACINCDA View Post
    I've actually heard that replacing Few is in Tommy's contract. A recent article addressed it and I didn't read it as tongue in cheek.
    That has always been the story, that it is in Tommy's contract that if Few leaves, Tommy will be head coach.

I love Few, best program manager in the country, and unfortunately, I don't see him coaching all that much longer. I don't see him as the type that wants to be doing this at 75. If he wins a NC, I wouldn't be surprised if he stepped down - only bc I think he has such diverse interests. I could also see a situation where Few (if interested) became AD when Roth retires and makes way for Tommy.

I am also very glad that Gary Bell Jr. is doing a stint as a grad assistant, bc I always thought he would be a fantastic coach somewhere.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Lute Olson was around 72 when he left the University of Arizona. After John Wooden, Lute is probably the most respected coach on the West Coast (if you consider Tucson to be that, geographically). I'm sure coach Few aspires to be in that upper echelon of coachdom, so there's no reason for him to leave early. He's only 56.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

The last thing I could imagine Mark Few wanting to do would be the Athlete Director

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Lute Olson was around 72 when he left the University of Arizona. After John Wooden, Lute is probably the most respected coach on the West Coast (if you consider Tucson to be that, geographically). I'm sure coach Few aspires to be in that upper echelon of coachdom, so there's no reason for him to leave early. He's only 56.
    I'd be shocked if he coached past 65. If Tommy doesn't stick around long enough for Few to leave, I'd bet on Brian Michaelson, of those with current connections. Stephen Gentry would be another possibility if you're looking for GU connections, in addition to the already mentioned Kyle Bankhead and GBJ.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Fonebone View Post
    The last thing I could imagine Mark Few wanting to do would be the Athlete Director

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree, being AD is truly a "full-time" position...not working on MB but all the sports as well as fund raising and other administration tasks...as MB Coach, he still has an "off-season" where he can go fishing but as AD, there is no off season...

Think he coaches until he is 62-65...

Longest tenured Head Basketball Coach/Athletic Director combo in the nation.

Mark Few and Mike Roth.

And it is definitely in Tommy’s contract.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Rice

Tommy has been a big part of GU’s success.
    Parlez-vous français?

While I think Tommy is the crowned-prince, I also think Coach Few made it a desirable coaching job, and we could recruit with the upper-middle tier if need be. Booster support is insane right now.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    While I think Tommy is the crowned-prince, I also think Coach Few made it a desirable coaching job, and we could recruit with the upper-middle tier if need be. Booster support is insane right now.
    We "could" but it wouldn't matter in the least if Tommy is still around, it is his job. It is on paper in a binding contract right now. It is also the way GU operates.

To the people that said Few wouldn't want to be AD - note that I said "If he had interest" (bc I didn't know). All I was saying is that "if he had interest" he would be exceptional IMO bc he is all about program management, and I think he could do it well for the entire AD - IF he wanted to.

He won't leave until all kids out of school, but once it happens (if not already) and maybe after an NC, he might want to try an NBA job, is what I've read.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I was actually just going to start a thread on this same topic while things are slow around here. So let's pose it another way. (Because Loyd and Michaelson are too easy). Which former player is most likely to (or who would you like to see) take over for Few.

My choice in NWG. He has talked about being a coach and he was really involved on the bench in his red shirt year. He would/will be an amazing coach.

Depending on how long his NBA career is, I think KO would be terrific as well.
    No sense in playing an in-state rival if you have to eat lopsided defeats. It's just like the great Athenian orator and statesman Demosthenes once said -- and I'm paraphrasing -- it's better to be called a chicken and not lose to Gonzaga than to be called brave and get blasted.

- Parrish, CBS Sportsline 12/11/2006

Have a feeling, just a feeling, Mark Few retires within the next 5 or 6 yrs.

He specifically said he wont pull a Coach Boeheim or Coach K and coach into his 70's.

Wish I had the link or could find the interview, yet mentions he wants a capable life post basketball. Still wants to travel, fish, even mentioned future grandkids

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Have a feeling, just a feeling, Mark Few retires within the next 5 or 6 yrs.

He specifically said he wont pull a Coach Boeheim or Coach K and coach into his 70's.

Wish I had the link or could find the interview, yet mentions he wants a capable life post basketball. Still wants to travel, fish, even mentioned future grandkids
    He did mention it last year before the tourney started. It was a CBS interview I just can’t remember with who. Ugh

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR