Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonathan Williams to Wizards!

Default Jonathan Williams to Wizards!

As reported on EuroHoops.net today:

Maccabi Rishon LeZion announced the departure of Johnathan Williams on Monday noting that the 24-year-old American forward received an attracting offer from the NBA. The Washington Wizards are expected to ink him to a guaranteed deal, according to Moshe Barda

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-new...g-the-wizards/
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Suh-Wheat! Rui & Jonathan -- sure hope this news is legit! Thanks for the post!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post

Maccabi Rishon LeZion announced the departure of Johnathan Williams on Monday noting that the 24-year-old American forward received an attracting offer from the NBA. The Washington Wizards are expected to ink him to a guaranteed deal, according to Moshe Barda

[URL="https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/990357/johnathan-williams-reportedly-joining-the-wizards/" [URL]
    Flex GREAT find...THANKS...think Rui and him played one year(?) so there might be a little history...but either way, two Zags on same team...that's a 1st I think...

i dont watch the NBA but now I think I will check out the wizards for a game or two with TWO zags on the team wow
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    i dont watch the NBA but now I think I will check out the wizards for a game or two with TWO zags on the team wow
    Yeah, I think I am going to have to be shopping for tickets now.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-new...g-the-wizards/
    Flat. Out. Awesome.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

A nice early Christmas gift for me. He is one of my all-time favorites because of his humility despite all of the talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Flex GREAT find...THANKS...think Rui and him played one year(?) so there might be a little history...but either way, two Zags on same team...that's a 1st I think...
    They played together 2 years.

2016-2017 (Rui was a freshman and learning english at the time)
    2017-2018

I would have loved to watch some of the team practices in 2014-2015[edit - meant '15-'16] including the redshirt guys:

Nigel Williams-Goss
    Karnowski (pre-injury)
    Sabonis
    Wiltjer
    JW3
    eMac
    Jeremy Jones
    Perkins
    Melson
    Dranginis
    Last edited by LTownZag; 12-23-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Awesome! He puts in max effort day in day out. Big time motor.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

The Wizards have been having some injuries to their front line. Rui has been out until after Christmas with a groin strain. I hope it isn't something long term for him.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    The Wizards have been having some injuries to their front line. Rui has been out until after Christmas with a groin strain. I hope it isn't something long term for him.
    It’s a groin contusion. A teammate accidentally kicked him in the nether region and shook the ole family tree.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    They played together 2 years.

2016-2017 (Rui was a freshman and learning english at the time)
    2017-2018

I would have loved to watch some of the team practices in 2014-2015 including the redshirt guys:

Nigel Williams-Goss
    Karnowski (pre-injury)
    Sabonis
    Wiltjer
    JW3
    eMac
    Jeremy Jones
    Perkins
    Melson
    Dranginis
    NWG was not at GU this year. He redshirted after transferring on 15-16. He played his one and only year in 16-17--the year of the final four run.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    NWG was not at GU this year. He redshirted after transferring on 15-16. He played his one and only year in 16-17--the year of the final four run.
    You are correct - I had the names of the guys on the squad correct, but the year wrong. It was 15-16 when the practices might have pitted

NWG/Sabonis/Jw3/e-MAc

vs

Perk/Karnowski/Wiltjer/Melson

Hope he can stick for awhile.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Bobby Marks
    @BobbyMarks42
    ·
    1h
    Washington makes it official with the signing of Johnathan Williams. One-year non-guaranteed $914,791 contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Bobby Marks
    @BobbyMarks42
    ·
    1h
    Washington make it official with the signing of Johnathan Williams. One-year non-guaranteed $914,791 contract.
    Non guaranteed means if he gets cut, he misses out on the entire amount - likely, right? Still, if he's there for a month, he probably makes more than in Europe. I sure hope he stuns them with work ethic and maturity, plus game.

I sure miss his aggressive dunks from right underneath.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Non guaranteed means if he gets cut, he misses out on the entire amount - likely, right? Still, if he's there for a month, he probably makes more than in Europe. I sure hope he stuns them with work ethic and maturity, plus game.

I sure miss his aggressive dunks from right underneath.
    My understanding is that is that non-guaranteed means he can get cut and won’t receive then remaining amount left on the deal - not that he’d miss out on the entire amount (although I think that might be what you’re saying based on the second part of your post). If he gets a $914k for the rest of the season, even a couple months would be a good chunk of change for most people... although I truly hope he earns it all and more the following years. Really a big fan of JW for what he contributed on the court and how he carries himself off the court as well.

he's already playing in tonight's game!

I wonder how long ago he first got word that it might happen.

He's 2-4 and 1-1 from the line, with 7 rebounds.

Jonathan is such a humble young man and plays with great energy and strength. He will always be one of my favorite Zags. I want to wish him great success in his basketball career.

Lead all players in minutes for the game. 4-6 shooting for 9pts and 8rbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Lead all players in minutes for the game. 4-6 shooting for 9pts and 8rbs.
    Have to think he'll remember this one for a good long while. What a great debut!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Default Jonathan Williams 1st game as a Washington Wizard

One of my fave zags ever Johnathan Williams had a workman like first game in the nba with his new team 33 minutes off the bench with a stat line of 4-6 field goals with 9 points and 8 rebounds and 2 assists and 1 block shot. That will work. Johnathan Williams just doing Johnathan Williams type things

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...ship-exception

Hope JW gets to stay on the team ...

Teams are granted hardship exceptions when they have four or more players miss at least three games at the same time and are expected to be out longer. They are then allowed to exceed the 15-player roster limit to bring in healthy players.

Entering their game against the Pistons, the Wizards are down Davis Bertans, Rui Hachimura, Thomas Bryant, Moe Wagner, Isaiah Thomas, CJ Miles and John Wall. Once those players return from injury, the Wizards will have to release at least two players from the active roster, and it does not have to be Payton or Williams.
    Rui's out for a groin injury he got on 12/16. He's missed around 6 games so far.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...ship-exception

Hope JW gets to stay on the team ...

Teams are granted hardship exceptions when they have four or more players miss at least three games at the same time and are expected to be out longer. They are then allowed to exceed the 15-player roster limit to bring in healthy players.

Entering their game against the Pistons, the Wizards are down Davis Bertans, Rui Hachimura, Thomas Bryant, Moe Wagner, Isaiah Thomas, CJ Miles and John Wall. Once those players return from injury, the Wizards will have to release at least two players from the active roster, and it does not have to be Payton or Williams.