Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Is Your Favorite Zag Player This Year and Why?

Default Who Is Your Favorite Zag Player This Year and Why?

At least so far, for me it would be Cory K. He worked so hard for two years, and last year I was afraid he had more or less peaked. To see the breakout of so many aspects of his game has been heartwarming, he is such a great guy, and I bet he is thrilled with his progress .

Tils.

Ayayi. Surprising emergence. Impact player on both ends of the court.

That's what makes this year so interesting. There is no one player. Sorry for disputing the premise of the question.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    That's what makes this year so interesting. There is no one player. Sorry for disputing the premise of the question.
    I agree. I don't think there's ever been a Zag team in the last 20 years like this one where there are so many players I like equally. Probably the '99 team. I liked ALL of those guys the same way. Just about every week there is a new player of the game. Yesterday, it was Gilder, a bench player, who got 22 points and the player of the game. And I am liking him more and more. But I can say the same thing about Woolridge. He keeps impressing me more and more each week. Kispert and Petrusev too, and sometimes Tills. I like the concept of a favorite player, but for me it's too early in the season, and I think because of the fact there are so many new players, it's taking time for their talents to surface the way they're beginning too. When I think of Gilder being a guy coming off the bench and scoring 20+, it's not hard for me to imagine that Gonzaga may be the best team in the country. I think by the end of the year I'll have one. If I had to vote today, I would give the slightest of edge to Woolridge, and I am pleasantly surprised that I'm saying this because I didn't like him at the beginning of the season. But the more games he's playing, and maybe the better he is feeling, his style of play is impressive. He has a great motor, and he keeps the foot on the pedal the entire game. He sets the pace I think, and Gonzaga is so good at transition basketball. Plus he's such a great defensive player, and that's very important to have a guy who can stop the opponents point guard.

More will be revealed further on down the line.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Ayayi. Transformation has been awesome. Good story for him. Love Tillie too. Love my Zags but those two are tops
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I voted for Filip Petrusev. The way he is playing this season as compared to last season is like night and day.

Love them all. But if there is one guy I want with the ball down 1 with 5 seconds on the clock..... Tillie

Ayayi!

I guess it's a good sign when you have to really, really think who has been your favorite player.
    I think for me Woolridge by the slightest of margins. He's not painting any Picasso's at the FT line but during
    the end of the AZ game knocked two down when they were needed. I also love his fluid speed and toughness, seems to have figured out the ZAG way.
    I think every player that has seen significant playing time you would be able to make some sort of argument for. This team has survived remarkably well with all the injury's.

Tille...Senior fighting through injuries...would be great to see him lead Zags to FF.

Every time I read about the pick of another poster, I change my mind. So hard to pick one. Right now I’m going with CK. He has fought through his shooting woes while still exerting veteran leadership and has risen to the occasion during big games.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I like Woolridge. Other players are better than him, but he is as important to the team as anyone. When he is on the floor he keeps the team running, and we are better when we are pushing it up the floor, and he is the one that keeps us running.

I will say all 8 of them. This is a team that on an given night another person steps up. Depending on the players for the other team, I think that the coaches pick outa person(s) that they want to be the go to person that game. IF they do not have solid bigs, then Petro, Tillie, Tims and Watson might be the go to players. If they are weak at the guard position, then Kispert, Ayayi, Woolridge, and Gilder might be the players.
    And my favorite, might be Few and staff, for being able to bring them together this quickly. I personally thought that we would have had about three losses by now.

GoZAGS.

This is just like the loaded question I get from my kids. The answer as always is "I don't have a favorite, you are each special to me in your own way" but for the sake of the question:

Timme.

For all of his freshman mistakes, he never gives up on a play and never backs down from a scrap. Instant energy off of the bench.

Woolridge was a close second. It's obvious now how much we have missed having someone over the years who can kill any full court or 3-quarter press. Bring on Syracuse/WV/Texas Tech type teams this year, they don't scare me at all with Woolridge in the game.

As others have said, this is a really difficult choice this year.

Today I'm for Ayayi. Tomorrow I might pick Tillie or Kispert. And I suspect that later in the year I might go with Petrusev, Woolridge, or Timme.

The bench. Especially the end of it.

I started a thread a while back saying how much I was enjoying Ballo's obvious joy.

The rest of the guys are just as enthusiastic for their teammates. It's something that can't be faked. It's a testament to the staff and to the character of these kids. It's not easy knowing that unless there is a blowout there will be no floor time. They are my favorites this year.

Tillie has been my favorite for years. I keep praying for a clean bill of health and for him to show the world what he can do,

Impossible to pick one. I love this team. So unselfish and tough. But since the OP request a choice:

Woolridge....tough as hell willing his bum leg along for the ride to #1 and beyond.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    The bench. Especially the end of it.

I started a thread a while back saying how much I was enjoying Ballo's obvious joy.

The rest of the guys are just as enthusiastic for their teammates. It's something that can't be faked. It's a testament to the staff and to the character of these kids. It's not easy knowing that unless there is a blowout there will be no floor time. They are my favorites this year.

Tillie has been my favorite for years. I keep praying for a clean bill of health and for him to show the world what he can do,
    I have been thinking the same about Ballo. My favorite players in the NCAA and the NBA are the players who play with joy and exuberance. Tillie has been so light hearted lately which is amazing considering the uncertainty of his health. I think he and Ballo lift the team emotionally.
    Parlez-vous français?

Favorite player? Matthew Lang...because he is my son

Classic post pdxirish. And welcome
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by pdxirish View Post
    I hope he gets a ton of playing time in conference!

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the program as the parent of a player.

I'm always excited to see Matthew come in.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxirish View Post
    Thanks for posting. Some on this board don't realize how many parents and family members of current and future Zags read this board. Always love it when you guys stop by.
    It can get a little crazy in here.

Heister and Fox talked a little about how good this team is, better than last years etc, and what they didn’t say is what some of us are saying: there is no one or two players this year. Starting off I figured if Tillie was down or marginal, the team would be. Dang was I wrong. I could not pick a hundred things but what we are seeing is balanced scoring and balanced effort. They are all getting better too. I really hope Watson gets healthy and gets some run. Don’t know if the two euros will get their shot to get their bearings this year but I would live to see them start to integrate too.

Joel continuing his summer success was something I didn’t expect. Woolridge being able to run the point as hurt as he is is amazing. There is a reason Gilder was on draft radar a few years ago. Kispert is basically shoving it down the naysayers throats ( and yes I’m eating some crow there). I want to see more from the bigs but right now, no one player is making this team.