Thread: OT: Riddle Me!

Default OT: Riddle Me!

As many (probably elderly) CBB aficionados are aware, Elgin Baylor nailed 60 points vs. Portland on 1-30-58. Also, many know that Elgin's first college try was not at Seattle U, but rather the College of Idaho until he transferred.

Similarly, a Zag put up 52 points against UC Davis in the 60s. While he graduated from Gonzaga, it was not his first CBB team either.

Can you name the player and the team he transferred from? (Hoping this isn't glaringly obvious).

Have fun!

=cad=

(I thought this was a really interesting piece of Zag history, particularly how this guy ended up in Spokane).

Burgess....he came from the Air Force but I don't think he played for any other college....he might have played for some small college in the SE but I never heard him mention it....the 52 is the record....two more than Big John scored against Whitworth...

Might be the only team that had two 50 point scorers on it...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 12-21-2019 at 07:04 AM.

Burgess played one year at Arkansas AM&N now known as Arkansas Pine Bluff. That was a soft ball Caduceus, but fun just the same.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Kudos to this thread ..... more please
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Very nice job Birddog.

Yep! The Honorable Judge Frank! I'll post some other interesting stuff about him later -- what a fascinating story of his life. Was privileged to see him honored at the BIS a few years ago.

Bart is correct. Frank from Eudora Arkansas, I'm pretty sure, came directly from the U.S. Air Force and not another college. Another connection (Whitworth), the former coach of Whitworth who coached in Europe and sent Hank Anderson several European players also probably saw Frank playing BB in Germany where he was stationed and recommended to Frank and to Hank that they hook up. But as I think about it, Frank played immediately upon arrival so wasn't a freshman. Freshman were not eligible in those years to play varsity ball. So maybe he had some prior college or JC ball maybe before USAF.
    What a player and a very nice person. He even came down to my level and shot baskets with me after practice in old GU gym.

I might not have all the facts right....but Burgess was involved in a very tight race to be the leading scorer in the Nation going into the last game of the season..... and as the day wore on.....it turned out....he would win if he didn't play....he was sick and the game was meaningless.... BUT......he played and had to score more than 30 points to win.....and he did.... and won the scoring title on the floor...…

" If you get a chance to sit or dance.....I hope you dance. "

Shagging balls for him when I was a child was important. Frank made you feel important and, of course, he was always grateful. Old Russell theater was our gym then. No AC...open doors during hot days.. and balls would go flying out the open doors onto the street. "Old days.....good times I remember. ...Chicago"

OK, before I really go into his biography, just take a look at Frank's career numbers. There's no question why Gonzaga has honored him as they have. Without (some) comment, I'll leave it up to your eyeballs to pop out. If you haven't been following College Hoopedia all these years, then you've been really missing out. It's a treasure bank of CBB information, and I'd say with a positive Zag spin. This guy really puts his work in.

I'm flummoxed why Frank was the leading scorer in the entire U.S. in 1961 but made only second team All-American (actually, I'm not because yeah, he couldn't drink from the same water fountains as the other guys -- can you imagine that happening today). Remember, this was before 3-point shooting was a thing. Imagine that, with half his games in the horribly hot Russell Theatre.

Burgess was born in Eudora, Arkansas. A man with a good sense of humor, he once described his hometown as being so small that "the only fast food we had in that town was if you hit a deer going 70 (miles per hour)." He attended Arkansas Agricultural, Mechanical and Normal College (Arkansas AM&N), a small school now known as the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, for one year while also playing on the basketball team. He then joined the Air Force and spent a four-year tour of duty in Europe. Burgess still played basketball even in Germany and was so good that he was picked to be one of the 10 best Air Force players in the world. While stationed at Hahn Air Force Base he averaged 33.4 points per game. It was during this time that Burgess met Mel Porter, a fellow American Air Force officer and Gonzaga University alumnus. Porter recognized Burgess' talent and played middle man to Burgess and the Gonzaga Bulldogs men's basketball coach, Hank Anderson. Although Burgess had also started to receive serious interest from Kansas and USC, he ultimately chose to attend Gonzaga because he felt that that school would get him the most prepared for life after basketball. "You have to remember, I had gotten out of the service, and I was married with twin girls. I was about getting an education and taking care of my family," he said to a newspaper reporter later in his life.

Two comments/questions (love this thread):
    * did Frank try to play in the league? Obviously we now know the professional path he chose in life, but wondering how it unfolded.
    * if I'm reading the table correctly, that's a lot of rebounds for a 6' 1" guard, even for the 50s/60s when the average player height was a little shorter.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Burgess matriculated at Gonzaga University in the fall of 1958 after his stint in the Air Force had ended. He spent three years at Gonzaga, from 1958–59 to 1960–61. He led the Bulldogs in scoring all three seasons, scored 40 or more points in a game seven times with a career-high 52 points against UC Davis, led the NCAA in scoring in 1960–61 with a 32.4 points per game average, and finished as the school's all-time leading scorer with 2,196 points. He received All-American honors in both his junior and senior seasons, while in his senior year he was a consensus Second Team All-American. Although his Gonzaga career ended in 1961 (only THREE YEARS), Burgess is etched in the records book at the school, including:

Burgess graduated with a degree in education in the spring of 1961 and was then drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association. He instead chose to play in the fledgling American Basketball League with the Hawaii Chiefs, but after two years the league folded. He decided to go back to school and enrolled at the Gonzaga University School of Law, where he graduated near the top of his class despite working the midnight shift for Zip's Hamburgers....hahah no....Washington Water Power.

From 1966 to 1967, Burgess was a Legal intern for the United States Atomic Energy Commission. After six months, he became an assistant city attorney of Tacoma, Washington until 1969. Burgess then spent the next 11 years (until 1980) as a private practice lawyer with Jack Edward Tanner. He was a Judge pro tem, Municipal Court and Pierce County District Court during that time. From 1980 to 1981, Burgess was a regional counsel for the Department of Housing and Urban Development in Seattle, and then became a U.S. Magistrate in the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington from 1981 to 1993.

Burgess became a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington when President Bill Clinton nominated him on November 19, 1993, to a seat vacated by Tanner. He was then confirmed by the United States Senate on March 25, 1994, and received his commission on March 28, 1994. Burgess assumed senior status on March 9, 2005.

Burgess died on March 26, 2010, from cancer.