View Poll Results: Will the Zags "Run the Table" ?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • No Way

37 40.66%
  • Absolutely

19 20.88%
  • More sleigh bell

35 38.46%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN : Can the Zags Run the Table ?

Post ESPN : Can the Zags Run the Table ?

I don't concur with all of the opinions in this digital roundtable. Schultz is selling the PG position short, as an example.

And you ?

LINK: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...oing-run-table

Excerpt:

John Gasaway: It will be tough. Gonzaga has run the table in both WCC regular-season play and the conference tournament four times in 20 years under Few. That alone is incredible, of course, but the Bulldogs are currently 0-for-6 on that front since 2013, despite earning two NCAA tournament No. 1 seeds in the past three seasons. The bottom line is that running the table is really hard even for a top seed -- plus, there's more than Saint Mary's to worry about if you're a Zags fan. BYU looks much improved this season. Throw in my concern that no rotation player not named Corey Kispert shoots better than 70% at the line, and it says here that the Zags will arrive at Selection Sunday sporting a 30-3 record. Yes, I'd take that in a heartbeat for my team.
    Myron Medcalf & Jeff Borzello chimed in also

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

I agree. My confidence in the PG game is growing steadily. Ryan seems to be getting it and is improving his decision making and his feel for the game (the way Few wants it) each game. Ayayi is a true combo guard and can keep defenses honest. He has become a shiny success.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

1 to 2 losses seems about right to me.

One loss, in Moraga.

Default ESPN: "Is Gonzaga going to run the table??"

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...oing-run-table

"The Gonzaga Bulldogs moved to 12-1 on Wednesday, taking down North Carolina for their fourth top-50 win in the past three weeks (Oregon, Washington and Arizona). A look at the schedule suggests relatively smooth sailing for the Zags the rest of the way. KenPom predicts them to win each of their remaining matchups, and BPI has them winning every contest except for a road game at Saint Mary's on Feb. 8. Have we learned enough about Mark Few's team to tout the Bulldogs as the team to beat nationally? ESPN.com's experts weighed in on that notion...?
    Discuss!

For my part I say no. SMC looks dangerous and I think they will probably get us once. Strangely, I had a dream last night about Jordan Ford driving down the court at me and put my hand out on top of his head and stopped him and held him down. How weird is that?

Might be a good poll idea for those with GUB tech skills.

ZZ
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-21-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    One loss, in Moraga.
    Their weapon this year is their guard line. I wonder if they've faced Woolridge or Ayayi-level defense? But yes, I agree. I think we lose that game.

One loss, in Moraga.
    I would take that in a heartbeat.

But I think it will be reversed, we win in Moraga and lose in ….

I also think we best no sleep on BYU who loves playing us tough at home.

I would take 30-3 in a heartbeat right now, and that would get us a one seed easy IMO
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Their weapon this year is their guard line. I wonder if they've faced Woolridge or Ayayi-level defense? But yes, I agree. I think we lose that game.
    SMC shoots it so well in Moraga bandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I would take that in a heartbeat.

But I think it will be reversed, we win in Moraga and lose in ….

I also think we best no sleep on BYU who loves playing us tough at home.

I would take 30-3 in a heartbeat right now, and that would get us a one seed easy IMO
    Careful giving up all those heartbeats.

Zags are another injury or a lapse of focus from a loss or two. They will be favored in all remaining games, should win all of them, and will have no excuse if they fail to win out thru the WCC tournament.

Well intentioned, poorly written.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I'm gonna put on my "SPY" glasses for this one. Who in the WCC has anywhere close to the talent that Gonzaga has? Shut down Ford and the Gaels are toast. Byu has a couple players, but the Zags bigs will offset Childs and Woolridge will slow down the Deliverance kid.

I'm not going to go full spy and predict an unblemished WCC run only because some of these gyms are heck to play in. In addition to St.Mary's dungeon and BYU's cavern, the gym in San Francisco always seems to present a problem. But, I do feel like 16-0 in this league is doable this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Well intentioned, poorly written.
    Want extra credit assignment?

Zags will have 1 or 2 hiccups that will melt this board. They will be a 1 or 2 seed.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Zags will have 1 or 2 hiccups that will melt this board. They will be a 1 or 2 seed.
    There is a big difference between a 1 or 2 seed. Go ahead. Go out on a limb!!!

"Unsurprisingly, no seed is as successful as the 1 seed. They have 24 of the 41 national championships since 1979. The only other seed with more than five is the 2 seed, which has seven. The 1 seeds also have won 99.3 percent of their first-round matchups, and 78.6 percent of their 659 NCAA tournament games since 1979 — better than any other seed."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...all-tournament

My heart says yes, my head says no.

We have put the hurt on so many teams in the WCC, the Zags will have a huge bullseye on their backs. However, we’ve already won at UW and Arizona.

One thing is for sure: as usual, we’ll get everybody’s best shot.

WCC play will be very competitive this year. I see a 3 bid league which is awesome for WCC. BYU and SM will be tough and Pepperdine will be no cake walk either. I see 2 more losses before NCAA tournament.
    America's Team!

WTF those are two completely different questions....Can they ??? Absolutely they can.....Will they ??? Probably not....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    WTF those are two completely different questions....Can they ??? Absolutely they can.....Will they ??? Probably not....
    I spent a good amount of time viewing all available WCC games thus far. I've seen every team play thus far, save USD.

I'm telling ya, WCC packs more punch overall this season.

Even teams with .500 records, such as Pepperdine feature dangerous talent.

BYU isnt just "WCC good", they are national level, Top 25 good. Same goes for SMC, maybe even USF.

They all have major conference Power 5 wins, and some with multiple.

We darn near went undefeated in Pac 12 play between the 2 conferences.

This is the 2nd best I've seen the WCC in past 10 yrs.

I expect 2 or 3 losses tbh

I'd expect SMC and BYU to beat UNC by 10+ as well this season. BYU is balanced, have serious size, tall guards, can shoot from everywhere, & a 20 & 10 center, their PF is also 6'10" 250,

3 bid conference no doubt. We have had years only 1 team got in

Count me in the 2-3 losses group. We are still pretty thin on depth and have nagging injuries at every position. Road games in tiny gyms with every team putting the ncaa hopes on a victory over GU combined with our injuries and thin bench...odds are we drop on or twowe shouldn’t (And I doubt we are favored in moraga).

SMC shoots it so well in Moraga bandbox.
    What IF, WAVES get terribly hot in their SQUASH BOX, Romar's hands almost bleed from fan clapping (their assistant runs the team), and GU has an off night, and shoots 50% from the line?????

Still, IMO, they lose only one game in conference ????? which night ?????? Outside view, IMO.

GU has improved vastly in the last decade, not only in national stature, but compared to the entire WCC field in my opinion. The fact that they haven't run the WCC table in the last 7-8 years is testament to how hard that is, as stated previously. There are always injuries, fatigue, doldrums, mental lapses, foul trouble, bad calls, off shooting nights for several team members in the same game, unconscious shooting nights by opponents, so many factors that can result in a loss. And, I almost prefer a loss late in the season as a wake up call and pressure release from the mental strain of trying to win out. It's cathartic, and also a reminder of their fallibility and the need for renewed mental focus in a long season. It seems like one more loss before the NCAA tournament starts is inevitable.

Gonzaga "should" run the table in that they are far and away the most talented team. No WCC team scares me, not even Saint Mary's. That said, SMC had zero business beating last year's GU team either, but it happened. I don't think the Gaels beat Gonzaga this year, but I won't be surprised if someone else knocks them off along the way. Just the way things go.

I don’t see a loss on the road. Maybe BYU. Def not Moraga tho. Seems like our boys always are up for the challenge on the road. I don’t buy that.

Home loss or loss in conf tourney sounds about right for some reason .
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Yep. 3 losses = 2 seed at best. We are almost always within 1 of our loss total.