Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Clarke is the Draft Steal We Should Have All Seen Coming

Default Brandon Clarke is the Draft Steal We Should Have All Seen Coming

To try my hand at carrying on in the long tradition of posting new threads about old players in the wrong forum, I wanted to post this nice article that I came across today (while checking on the Seattle Seahawk injury situation, no less). Per usual, I expect this to end up in the Old Dogs forum but thought the article was too good not to share here. Brandon is such a great story and should catch the attention of any college player who is thinking about transferring and improving his game at GU. The article says some stuff we Zag crazies know already around here, but there is a nice breakdown of his NBA success, as well. I got to catch him in Phoenix and he played very well- the only thing holding him back is his coach, frankly, as he was very productive but could have played a lot more minutes... As an aside, the NBA game can be hard to watch, at least in the regular season. To wit, Brandon had a mismatch in the post when a guard switched on him but his team made no effort to get him the ball. This was typical of how the game was played. He gets his points off of talent, basketball IQ, and hard work.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/12...lights-gonzaga

To the surprise of very few paying attention, Clarke currently looks like the steal of the draft. He has been effective in the league in all the ways he dominated college, while continuing to add new parts to his game. All of the consternation about his positional fit in the league was misguided for one simple reason: this is a young player who is just incredibly good at basketball. He was always going to find a way to make it work.

I believe Brandon will emerge as a bright star in time. Like many rookies in NBA he’s got to earn the play time and adjust to the NBA game. Even Damontas had a bumpy road his first year. Brandon’s skill is otherworldly and his coach will learn about it in time. Go Brandon, don’t let up!
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Always said I'd draft Clarke ahead of Rui. For all his talent, I'm not a fan of Morant. Clarke would be thriving with a different point guard, but maybe it'll eventually work out.

I've been a member of Grizzley Bear Blues since BC was drafted by the Grizz. He and Morant have a bright future.

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    Always said I'd draft Clarke ahead of Rui. For all his talent, I'm not a fan of Morant. Clarke would be thriving with a different point guard, but maybe it'll eventually work out.
    Clarke isn't thriving? Morant will be rookie of the year. He's awesome.

First off - THANKS for finding and posting this article...it was GREAT reading! BC Was an outstanding player at GU and am so glad to see him shine - deservedly so too!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    Well, I was the opposite...always felt that Rui was the better pick. Both are having excellent rookie years but still think that Rui has more of an upside in that he can be a dominant scorer in the league...not an LB at this point but once he finds his comfort zone it will be evident to all who follow him. BC is the overall better athlete but will he ever become a "go-to-scorer?" I don't know the answer as the article kinda stated that from what we see that isn't going to be his strength.

I believe both will have long careers as long as the injury bug doesn't find either of them...

Also, it is amazing how DS, BC and Rui are all excelling...hopefully, KO will once again find his grove...

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    To try my hand at carrying on in the long tradition of posting new threads about old players in the wrong forum, I wanted to post this nice article
    would have been nice to have BC for more than one year, but what a year. thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    would have been nice to have BC for more than one year, but what a year. thanks for the link
    Goss and BC would start on an all time, one year wonder GU team. Who else?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    Collins.
    Keep going. We’ve got Mathews, Goss, Zbo, BC. Need a wing.

Morrison

Wesley

Suggs???

Oh, wait. We've still got to get through a bazillion more posts between now and January 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Morrison
    Played one year only.

I'm thinking by the end of this season, it'll probably be one of Woolridge/Gilder, depending on who finishes season stronger. Run Matthews at the 3 ala 2017.

Wesley
    I’d def pick Bwes
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

How many years was the Bonus here?

I put Clarke on my all-time Zag team over some legendary studs like Wiltjer, Cavalry, Turiaf, etc. That's a hard call but his per 40 numbers and effect on the game on both ends was unprecedented - not just in Zag history but recent college hoops history. Go Brandon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Wesley
    This.

He set the standard for the senior transfer, and not just on the floor.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

To try my hand at carrying on in the long tradition of posting new threads about old players in the wrong forum, I wanted to post this nice article that I came across today (while checking on the Seattle Seahawk injury situation, no less). Per usual, I expect this to end up in the Old Dogs forum but thought the article was too good not to share here. Brandon is such a great story and should catch the attention of any college player who is thinking about transferring and improving his game at GU. The article says some stuff we Zag crazies know already around here, but there is a nice breakdown of his NBA success, as well. I got to catch him in Phoenix and he played very well- the only thing holding him back is his coach, frankly, as he was very productive but could have played a lot more minutes... As an aside, the NBA game can be hard to watch, at least in the regular season. To wit, Brandon had a mismatch in the post when a guard switched on him but his team made no effort to get him the ball. This was typical of how the game was played. He gets his points off of talent, basketball IQ, and hard work.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/12...lights-gonzaga
    I personally appreciate this post on the main board. It shouldn't be but it always feels like such a hassle going to the Old Dogs forum.

I wonder how much the whole Moneyball transition baseball went through has made its way into the NBA? As the article states, Brandon Clarke had the second highest PER of any player in college basketball in the last decade. How do you call yourself an evaluator of basketball talent and just ignore that? The guy was dominant at a level that boggles the mind.

We were so spoiled with him, and I think we can safely say we'll never have someone perform statistically like that ever again.

It's going to be so fun watching him improve in the league.

At this point if you're a recruit you've gotta be just incredibly impressed with what our coaching and strength training staff has been able to do for players.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

How many years was the Bonus here?
    Too Few. Games and minutes.

Clarke was a hybrid of the best attributes of Errol Knight and Casey Calvary. Both superior athletes with attitude.

I personally believe he possessed the most complete game of any Zag in the Few era. High basketball IQ with continuous improvement. No Zag had had a higher ceiling. Who knows how good he will ultimately be? Certainly the best shot blocker in Zag history. I have never seen a player that could get above the rim quicker. Anywhere. Best weak side help defense I have ever seen at the college level. Bailed out many team mates that were beaten on the bounce. He would consistently fill up the stat sheet and was ultra efficient. Historically efficient on a national scale.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I’d def pick Bwes
    Tbh, I think Wesley was one of the best, most effective finishers at the rim we have ever had -- for a guard/wing that is.

Maybe best all time I can recall...

We have had wings/guards with better FG% yet I'm talking driving and finishing the attempt at rim.

He featured this really cool delayed under the hoop shot that was a thing of beauty.

Nigel up there as well, all time floater, yet Wesley was a finisher that's for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Clarke was a hybrid of the best attributes of Errol Knight and Casey Calvary. Both superior athletes with attitude.

I personally believe he possessed the most complete game of any Zag in the Few era. High basketball IQ with continuous improvement. No Zag had had a higher ceiling. Who knows how good he will ultimately be? Certainly the best shot blocker in Zag history. I have never seen a player that could get above the rim quicker. Anywhere. Best weak side help defense I have ever seen at the college level. Bailed out many team mates that were beaten on the bounce. He would consistently fill up the stat sheet and was ultra efficient. Historically efficient on a national scale.
    His outside shooting also improved measurably over his one year with us. I find the NBA execrable so I haven't seen much of him with Memphis, but if his shooting keeps improving as it did last year his upside seems limitless.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

This is a fun Brandon Vs the Wizards last week:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABzDbStV0_w