Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brandon Clarke is the Draft Steal We Should Have All Seen Coming

Quote Originally Posted by 3zagda View Post
    This is a fun Brandon Vs the Wizards last week:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABzDbStV0_w
    Poor Rui is still out for a few more games with a groin contusion..ouch! And yes, it is what you think it is.

And on top if it, it was 'friendly fire.'
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    How many years was the Bonus here?
    Only two years...

Yet when Clarke entered the NBA draft, scouts saw a forward who lacked positional size, didn’t have a reliable jump shot, and would turn 23 years old as a rookie.
    I still do not understand why this should ever be used as a reason to not draft a player. How many times has LeBron changed teams? When you draft, you draft for yourself, and most players play for multiple teams. There are very, very few Kobe's who play for the same team throughout their career. As long as the NBA has free agency, I could care less if a guy is 23. Clarke is 95% likely to not play for Memphis his entire career.

Surprised that the no one has mentioned that the guy Clarke dunked on in that clip, Ian Mahinmi, was originally supposed to go to Gonzaga. He decided to go pro instead.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Clarke was a hybrid of the best attributes of Errol Knight and Casey Calvary. Both superior athletes with attitude.

I personally believe he possessed the most complete game of any Zag in the Few era. High basketball IQ with continuous improvement. No Zag had had a higher ceiling. Who knows how good he will ultimately be? Certainly the best shot blocker in Zag history. I have never seen a player that could get above the rim quicker. Anywhere. Best weak side help defense I have ever seen at the college level. Bailed out many team mates that were beaten on the bounce. He would consistently fill up the stat sheet and was ultra efficient. Historically efficient on a national scale.
    Clarke’s success in NBA may have biggest impact on GU recruiting / reputation for player development as any player since Olynyk. Dude was pretty much unknown nationally before transferring, RS year than breaking out w said historically efficient season.

I have a 16 year old nephew who is a big time hockey talent on USA Hockey radar. He and parents doing lots of research re: best and smartest options for him moving forward, which includes lots of communicating with parents who have navigated this same scenario before them. Really complicated for hockey: accept prep school offers and leave home; get drafted and play in Canada junior hockey league; wait and hope for NCAA scholarship offers etc.

Point is basketball players whether they be high school recruits or college player looking to transfer pay a lot of attention to how particular programs and coaches have developed talent before and what happened to players’ careers who chose to go all in there. Can’t think of a better recruiting story than Brandon Clarke...or Rui...or Olynyk..or David Stockton.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Gonzaga has to be on the radar for any high-level amateur European athlete, American graduate transfer, or high school big man for the reasons stated above. The so-called Olynyk Clinic seems to be a very real thing for players who have NBA potential, aren't quite going to get there where they're at, and want to use a redshirt year to elevate their games. The Zags have had success with very good, but slightly less heralded guards, and I am hopeful that the new group coming in next year will see Gonzaga continue its climb into the upper echelon for these types of players, as well.
    Last edited by JPtheBeasta; 12-21-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Surprised that the no one has mentioned that the guy Clarke dunked on in that clip, Ian Mahinmi, was originally supposed to go to Gonzaga. He decided to go pro instead.
    He and fellow Frenchman Johan Petro were two Zags (until they weren't ... i.e. became 1st round NBA draft choices instead).

You know? That Tommy Lloyd guy is okay ... he just might have a future recruiting foreign guys.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    He and fellow Frenchman Johan Petro were two Zags (until they weren't ... i.e. became 1st round NBA draft choices instead).

You know? That Tommy Lloyd guy is okay ... he just might have a future recruiting foreign guys.
    I didn't know that. Petro would have been a very good college player.

That was the era when the perception was that high school guys who weren't ready to play in the NBA were dragging down the game, and they made the one-and-done rule (IIRC). I am aware of good arguments to the contrary, but I am one who thinks that college ball can nurture development in ways that the NBA cannot (a listen to what Adam Morrison has to say about the isolation he felt in the NBA supports that). My view of the NBA is as a me-first league, whereas college more readily instills some team-first, winning-basketball, perspective in players. Winning can be secondary in the NBA, with great potential for statistics and the next contract being the most important thing for players (I don't necessarily criticize people for this, considering that potentially millions of dollars is at stake). Very good players can be chewed up and spit out when a player finds himself stuck on a team with a coach who doesn't value him, and has nowhere to go.

Jazz, I would feel comfortable putting David Pendograph at the wing. Pendo and Mike Hart did everything coach Few ask of them without show casing their individual skills to be a star.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Jazz, I would feel comfortable putting David Pendograph at the wing.
    Pendergraft played 4 years at GU
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.