One of the loudest ovations at the GU-UNC game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

One of the loudest ovations at the GU-UNC game...

last night came when a gal, a student I believe but I can't be sure, held up a large sign that said, in essence: GU-UNC basketball tonight, last day of chemo tomorrow. She was promptly hugged by a male companion and the crowd gave her a rousing round of applause. I asked several people who watched the game on TV and they said they didn't see this so I'm thinking the sign and the couple didn't make it on TV. Later Spike went up into the crowd and gave the gal a bag of, I can only guess some sort of GU apparel and/or trinkets. I just thought the gal deserved some sort of recognition here for a fight well fought. This is off topic a bit I realize!
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Section 116 View Post
    last came when a gal, a student I believe but I can't be sure, held up a large sign that said, in essence: GU-UNC basketball tonight, last day of chemo tomorrow. She was promptly hugged by a male companion and the crowd gave her a rousing round of applause. I asked several people who watched the game on TV and they said they didn't see this so I'm thinking the sign and the couple didn't make it on TV. Later Spike went up into the crowd and gave the gal a bag of, I can only guess some sort of GU apparel and/or trinkets. I just thought the gal deserved some sort of recognition here for a fight well fought. This is off topic a bit I realize!
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing and God Bless the young lady.
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

God bless and prayers sent.

Originally posted by Section 116 View Post
      last came when a gal, a student I believe but I can't be sure, held up a large sign that said, in essence: GU-UNC basketball tonight, last day of chemo tomorrow. She was promptly hugged by a male companion and the crowd gave her a rousing round of applause. I asked several people who watched the game on TV and they said they didn't see this so I'm thinking the sign and the couple didn't make it on TV. Later Spike went up into the crowd and gave the gal a bag of, I can only guess some sort of GU apparel and/or trinkets. I just thought the gal deserved some sort of recognition here for a fight well fought. This is off topic a bit I realize!

Comment

• HenneZag
        Zag for Life
        • Aug 2012

I was there and that was a class act by the crowd. The gal holding the sign seemed over joyed.
        America's Team!

Comment

• abarefootboy
          Kennel Club
          • Nov 2007

Thank you for sharing Section 116. The human aspect of collegial sport and education is what I admire most about our dear Gonzaga University. The ancient Greek ideal of the citizen athlete is for me the pathway towards a more compassionate, loving and wise global civilization. ♥️��♥️
          humanity is one family ... with one heart

Comment

• DZ
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

It is often said by students: "We don't go to cheer for our team, we cheer for our friends."

And that friendship extends to an entire family.

When Few talks about the family attitude and atmosphere, I suspect he knows it doesn't stop with basketball.
            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing, and God bless this young lady and her family. I know how she feels. We can beat cancer.

Great response from Zag fans. Right on!!! We are Zag Family.

Go Zags!!!
              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• IowaSERE
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Oct 2008

If this is off topic, then I don't want to be a part of the board anymore. This is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                  Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                  • Feb 2007

Her name is Kim Brewer, class of 2005. She completed her chemo today:

The mother of three says she was 35 and healthy when she was diagnosed with breast cancer just 15 months ago.

Brewer’s college roommate at Gonzaga died of cancer several years ago.

She helped spread her ashes around campus in September 2018 and decided to get checked a few days later.

It’s a decision that she says saved her life.

Brewer was actually supposed to have her final chemo treatment on Wednesday, but she didn’t want to miss the important game.

“All these people when they came out tonight were like ‘we’ll be praying for you,’ or ‘you know we love you’ and all these nice things,” said Brewer. “It does affect you.”

You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• Zagger
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2008

Comment

• Markburn1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2015

Merry Christmas, Kim. Happy for you.

Comment

• Zagger
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2008

Took the pics w/ my phone during the game mainly to show them to a good pal of mine also going through chemotherapy. He was given 6-12 months to live (and he looked like 6 months was tops to me). This was about 2 months ago where he’s been in chemo each Friday. Well, his doc now says most of the cancer is gone and the rest is greatly diminished. Learned that the day before the game. I couldn’t believe how good he sounded on the phone. Not just happy good but the quality and distinction of his voice was back. He hasn’t sounded that good for 4-5 years!

Comment

• Zags11
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2008

Yea i was above her. It was awesome.

Comment

• MDABE80
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

THIS....is Gonzaga.....

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagger View Post
                              Took the pics w/ my phone during the game mainly to show them to a good pal of mine also going through chemotherapy. He was given 6-12 months to live (and he looked like 6 months was tops to me). This was about 2 months ago where he’s been in chemo each Friday. Well, his doc now says most of the cancer is gone and the rest is greatly diminished. Learned that the day before the game. I couldn’t believe how good he sounded on the phone. Not just happy good but the quality and distinction of his voice was back. He hasn’t sounded that good for 4-5 years!
                              Enjoy every moment with him, Zag.

Comment

Working...
                              X