Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of the loudest ovations at the GU-UNC game...

Default One of the loudest ovations at the GU-UNC game...

last night came when a gal, a student I believe but I can't be sure, held up a large sign that said, in essence: GU-UNC basketball tonight, last day of chemo tomorrow. She was promptly hugged by a male companion and the crowd gave her a rousing round of applause. I asked several people who watched the game on TV and they said they didn't see this so I'm thinking the sign and the couple didn't make it on TV. Later Spike went up into the crowd and gave the gal a bag of, I can only guess some sort of GU apparel and/or trinkets. I just thought the gal deserved some sort of recognition here for a fight well fought. This is off topic a bit I realize!

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    last came when a gal, a student I believe but I can't be sure, held up a large sign that said, in essence: GU-UNC basketball tonight, last day of chemo tomorrow. She was promptly hugged by a male companion and the crowd gave her a rousing round of applause. I asked several people who watched the game on TV and they said they didn't see this so I'm thinking the sign and the couple didn't make it on TV. Later Spike went up into the crowd and gave the gal a bag of, I can only guess some sort of GU apparel and/or trinkets. I just thought the gal deserved some sort of recognition here for a fight well fought. This is off topic a bit I realize!
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing and God Bless the young lady.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

God bless and prayers sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    last came when a gal, a student I believe but I can't be sure, held up a large sign that said, in essence: GU-UNC basketball tonight, last day of chemo tomorrow. She was promptly hugged by a male companion and the crowd gave her a rousing round of applause. I asked several people who watched the game on TV and they said they didn't see this so I'm thinking the sign and the couple didn't make it on TV. Later Spike went up into the crowd and gave the gal a bag of, I can only guess some sort of GU apparel and/or trinkets. I just thought the gal deserved some sort of recognition here for a fight well fought. This is off topic a bit I realize!

I was there and that was a class act by the crowd. The gal holding the sign seemed over joyed.
    America's Team!

Thank you for sharing Section 116. The human aspect of collegial sport and education is what I admire most about our dear Gonzaga University. The ancient Greek ideal of the citizen athlete is for me the pathway towards a more compassionate, loving and wise global civilization. ♥️��♥️
    humanity is one family ... with one heart

It is often said by students: "We don't go to cheer for our team, we cheer for our friends."

And that friendship extends to an entire family.

When Few talks about the family attitude and atmosphere, I suspect he knows it doesn't stop with basketball.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing, and God bless this young lady and her family. I know how she feels. We can beat cancer.

Great response from Zag fans. Right on!!! We are Zag Family.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

If this is off topic, then I don't want to be a part of the board anymore. This is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

Her name is Kim Brewer, class of 2005. She completed her chemo today:

The mother of three says she was 35 and healthy when she was diagnosed with breast cancer just 15 months ago.

Brewer’s college roommate at Gonzaga died of cancer several years ago.

She helped spread her ashes around campus in September 2018 and decided to get checked a few days later.

It’s a decision that she says saved her life.

Brewer was actually supposed to have her final chemo treatment on Wednesday, but she didn’t want to miss the important game.

“All these people when they came out tonight were like ‘we’ll be praying for you,’ or ‘you know we love you’ and all these nice things,” said Brewer. “It does affect you.”

http://www.kxly.com/news/local-mothe...ags/1152663072
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Merry Christmas, Kim. Happy for you.

Took the pics w/ my phone during the game mainly to show them to a good pal of mine also going through chemotherapy. He was given 6-12 months to live (and he looked like 6 months was tops to me). This was about 2 months ago where he’s been in chemo each Friday. Well, his doc now says most of the cancer is gone and the rest is greatly diminished. Learned that the day before the game. I couldn’t believe how good he sounded on the phone. Not just happy good but the quality and distinction of his voice was back. He hasn’t sounded that good for 4-5 years!

Yea i was above her. It was awesome.
    Love the zags for life

THIS....is Gonzaga.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Took the pics w/ my phone during the game mainly to show them to a good pal of mine also going through chemotherapy. He was given 6-12 months to live (and he looked like 6 months was tops to me). This was about 2 months ago where he’s been in chemo each Friday. Well, his doc now says most of the cancer is gone and the rest is greatly diminished. Learned that the day before the game. I couldn’t believe how good he sounded on the phone. Not just happy good but the quality and distinction of his voice was back. He hasn’t sounded that good for 4-5 years!
    Enjoy every moment with him, Zag.

Thanks to all for filling in the blanks. As a cancer survivor myself, I was moved!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Enjoy every moment with him, Zag.
    We’re planning huckleberry picking trips for summer

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    We’re planning huckleberry picking trips for summer
    Excellent.

Great thread and event.

Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Her name is Kim Brewer, class of 2005. She completed her chemo today:

http://www.kxly.com/news/local-mothe...ags/1152663072
    This made me cry. What an incredibly sad and hopeful story all in one. Life. #ZagUp
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Thank you 116 for sharing. This is what gives us perspective again.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Teared up a bit reading this. Thanks for sharing.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

My wife and I met her and her husband after the game. Both are Zag alumn, and they have a few kids. They were also really nice people. We were also sitting high up in section 116 with a number of UNC fans, and they were quick to their feet for an ovation and applause. Warm feel-goods all around. Great stuff.

Amazing moment - tear came to my eyes. The Zag family is powerful -

Go Zags!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Gonzaga will be wearing custom-designed uniforms when they face Eastern Washington on Saturday, December 21st at 2 p.m.

The uniforms will help raise awareness of Community Cancer Fund and the local fight against cancer. The Zags logo and numbers on the uniform match the colors of Community Cancer Fund.

Head coach Mark Few and his wife, Marcy, have been involved in the local fight against for cancer for decades. For more information on Community Cancer Fund, visit https://communitycancerfund.org/.