Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs North Carolina post game analysis and feelings

Default Gonzaga vs North Carolina post game analysis and feelings

Gonzaga 94
    NorthCarolina 81

Yippie!! Wow!! Great Game. Kispert on fire scoring 26 points on 10 for 12 shooting. I was just happy to see such a great game from him again. A lot of Zag fans didn't believe Kispert had this kind of game in him. I was one who did. And he's from the great state of Washington.

Gonzaga just killed them offensively. Every player from Gonzaga looked good. I really like how they play. Five players again in double figures with KIspert leading the gang with 26 on 10-12 shooting and 5 of 6 from beyond the 3 pt line.
    Petrusive had 20 points, Ayayi had 11 points and 10 rebounds and 6 assists. Woodridge had 11 points and 9 assists. and Gilder with 11. Tillie finished with 9 points and Timme 6. Zags shoot 60% for the game and 50% from beyond the 3 points line. Some real good Ninja shooing.

I thought UNC fought hard and kind of made a game of it, but again Gonzaga let up the last couple minutes before half and the last two minutes before the end of the game. It was good to see Roy Williams and UNC in K2. Just wish Anthony had been able to play.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

free throws :-(
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

I can’t believe I am about to type this, but this felt like a good tune up for the type of team we’re likely to see in WCC play. UNC is a well-coached team with a lot of fight, but they don’t have the talent to match Gonzaga’s roster. You could say the same thing about several teams in our league.

Fortunately, our team handled this test in a business-like manner. They took an early lead and never let UNC make a run. This game never felt in doubt.

They good...and they are going to get better....especially if they can get well.....I sure would like to see Watson, he is a special player....

It is ironic that Kispert gets rave reviews from the opposing coaches and broadcasters.....and some in here think he should not start.... go figure..

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Joel Ayayi is a better guard than Zach Norvell. This team would have advanced deeper into last year's tournament had they had this version of Joel playing.
    And he just came out of nowhere. From obscurity to playing his way into the NBA.

Carry on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

wow the D was great. overcame UNC's 35-30 win on the glass and UNC's 9 O boards which led to a 10-2 second chance points advantage for UNC

but pts off turnovers? 19-7 Zags. Fast break pts? 23-14 Zags. And of the Zags 30 rebounds, 29 were on the D glass to clean up UNC's 37 misses and fuel the running game which was the difference to me, along with better FT shooting

run run run tonight, and the Zags sure did

think we'll get matched up with UNC when Coleman is healthy come March?

Would have been 3 point game either way with Greg Jr. Some Zags were great, some ok, some not so hot. And the ends of each half and the foul shooting are nauseating.

Quote Originally Posted by billyberu View Post
    Joel Ayayi is a better guard than Zach Norvell. This team would have advanced deeper into last year's tournament had they had this version of Joel playing.
    And he just came out of nowhere. From obscurity to playing his way into the NBA.

Carry on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I agree. Ayayi has become a monster. His rebounding is spectacular, and his confidence is brimming.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    They good...and they are going to get better....especially if they can get well.....I sure would like to see Watson, he is a special player....

It is ironic that Kispert gets rave reviews from the opposing coaches and broadcasters.....and some in here think he should not start.... go figure..
    This. They have so so so much more upside it is just wonderful. Tillie is so obviously still hurting. He is a flying above the rim guy when healthy. Maybe Watson gets it back together. Guards will play even better as they get more comfy, and CK has answered the bell.

Good game, not great, but that's the point. They can win without even putting it all together.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Terrific team win. Defensive game off a bit compared to recent games, but good enough. Wouldn’t mind a rematch in the NCAAs to show Zags can prevail with both teams at full strength. Thanks to Coach Williams for making the trip.

FTs tonight

Ryan 0-2
    Drew 0-2

but also

Petro 8-10
    Admon 4-4
    CK 1-1
    KT 2-3

better overall imo from more contributors, not 75% + tho as a team

Since the start of last year Gonzaga has beaten Duke, Arizona + Oregon on a neutral, UNC and Washington at home, and won at Arizona, at Washington, at Creighton + at Texas A&M. I really, REALLY hope we can officially put the "Gonzaga doesn't play anyone" memes to bed for good.

( I know, wishful thinking. . .)

#gozags

Corey really set the tone with his aggressiveness. He was pulling up to launch 3s in defenders’ faces, diving for loose balls, taking it to the hole. He showed what he’s capable of. Same for Woolridge, who was just a killer. The defense was lacking and it seemed the bigs weren’t interested in banging early to deny position. They need to step up the interior D. The Zags now have the top ranked offense in the land, but a defense that’s lagging well behind at No. 46. That said, this is a night to celebrate. The Tar Heels came to the Kennell and got stomped just as expected. This fan was worried but it’s probably time I start believing because these Zags can kill you a bunch of ways. Once they start kicking things down on D - and I think they can - it’s game over.

PS - Few does what Few does but it was a little lame that no Zag reserves got some garbage time to be able to say they faced UNC on their home floor, while Roy played everyone including the team manager. I don’t get it.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Replay? Anyone? My kids were in a Christmas program tonight, and I am dying to see the game!

Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    was a little lame that no Zag reserves got some garbage time to be able to say they faced UNC on their home floor, while Roy played everyone including the team manager. I don’t get it.
    I felt the same way.

Really strange feeling during this game for me. All the hype, all the build-up, followed by a pretty standard issue pummeling of an opponent in the Kennel. Really anticlimactic for me. The guys were in total control the entire game, up by 20+ late in the 2nd half. I know UNC wasn't at full strength (neither were we) but still, it's UNC in the Kennel for god's sake........

The game was never in doubt.................weird. In a really good way!!

Go ZAGS

And what’s more confounding is Few leaves starters in but hamstrings them by taking air out for of the ball Makes no sense. It’s counter productive

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    FTs tonight

Ryan 0-2
    Drew 0-2

but also

Petro 8-10
    Admon 4-4
    CK 1-1
    KT 2-3

better overall imo from more contributors, not 75% + tho as a team

I don't understand why a coaching staff would let a player with Timme's irregular FT shooting form simply continue to shoot/miss like that.

I'm surprised he himself wouldn't go to the coaches and ask to work on a major overhaul, like Brandon Clarke obviously did. (and I'm not comparing the athleticism or skill acquisition of those 2).

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I don't understand why a coaching staff would let a player with Timme's irregular FT shooting form simply continue to shoot/miss like that.

I'm surprised he himself wouldn't go to the coaches and ask to work on a major overhaul, like Brandon Clarke obviously did. (and I'm not comparing the athleticism or skill acquisition of those 2).
    That’s the least of Timme’s flaws. Looks totally lost out there and is a very poor rebounder. He had one in 18 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Really strange feeling during this game for me. All the hype, all the build-up, followed by a pretty standard issue pummeling of an opponent in the Kennel. Really anticlimactic for me. The guys were in total control the entire game, up by 20+ late in the 2nd half. I know UNC wasn't at full strength (neither were we) but still, it's UNC in the Kennel for god's sake........

The game was never in doubt.................weird. In a really good way!!

Go ZAGS
    Agree. After the first 10 minutes, there was no suspense. Just taking care of business. Even the ESPN broadcasters seemed a little bored. I've never been less anxious throughout a big-time Zag game. I didn't start "coaching" thru the TV until the last 5 minutes when I thought we could have laid 100 pts. on UNC and sloppy TOs frittered away that opportunity.

We've surpassed my expectations for this team given new line-up, injuries, tough OOC schedule, an unforeseen departure, and an academic redshirt. Given the parity in the Top 20 this year and the likelihood of a Spokane seed in the first round of NCAAs, we could go deep if we get healthy, keep focused, defend a little better, and have a couple of our regulars improve on FTs.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    That’s the least of Timme’s flaws. Looks totally lost out there and is a very poor rebounder. He had one in 18 minutes
    Jazz, you crack me up...you're definitely an "acquired taste". IMO, Drew "paid some tuition" tonight, and proved once again he's a capable backup to Filip, who has shown tremendous progress from last year.

Drew's having a typical freshman year, with ups and downs along the way. He won't be a freshman in March, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Jazz, you crack me up...you're definitely an "acquired taste". IMO, Drew "paid some tuition" tonight, and proved once again he's a capable backup to Filip, who has shown tremendous progress from last year.

Drew's having a typical freshman year, with ups and downs along the way. He won't be a freshman in March, though.

My expectations were unrealistic. He’s no 5 star. Will be a serviceable big down the road

Quote Originally Posted by West Side Lady View Post
    I felt the same way.
    - I've been a long time critic of coach few not putting in subs earlier and more often............BUT

- but my take was after the melt down against Arizona with 2 plus minutes left in the game, he wanted his 'a' team to close the deal better than the last game.
    - there must have been 24 posts saying lets learn from the meltdown, well you can't learn/get better unless you have the same players closing out the game, but with more poise, and better thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post

Bart...Corey has improved tremendously. It's not surprise when a kid suddenly matures and plays very very well, he's unrecognizable . SO it is with Corey. HUGE improvement. He practices non stop.
    Also, I'd guess this version of Zags will go the distance with the 7 main players we saw tonight ..and an 8th for fatique. I have doubts, Anton will be a productive player unless he get the shoulder fixed. Great kid and superior player but damaged. Pray to the Lord we get no more injuries. We have the goods to go the distance.

So, I just finished watching a replay, and am super excited we won. However, our 3-point defense is really weak. Thankfully UNC couldn't hit anything, because we certainly gave them plenty of wide open looks.