Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missouri State STARTERS bring HEIGHT & REBOUNDING Zags may not be ready for.

zab.....I told you I had this feeling we'd win......

Jill was on the deck at least 4 times....the most amazing play tonite was when we missed a FT, MSU grabbed the rebound, and then Jill grabbed it out of the hands of the MSU player and took one of her patented 6' shots......warrior princess....

we had too many TO's......

however the word RESILIENCY comes to mind.....make mistakes and overcome them....

this was truly an EPIC game.....the crowd was electric and both teams fought hard....

the talk about Spokane being "hoop city".......well, the Ladyzags and their fans are the epitome of that...oh sure, the men will get almost all the press....

Congratulations LadyZags........you make us PROUD!!!

Merry Christmas Sylean now we all have a Lady Zag euphoric feeling.

Jill was all over #22 Willard on defense tonight the first 2 quarters and vice versa. Good to see we got big #50 Gartner in foul trouble in the 1st half. #50 was frustrated saw one of her teammates talking her up. Also did see big #50 did not even run up the court one time on offense she never crossed the half court line.

P.S. Jill get healthy on your Christmas Vacation no more new injuries for Pete Sake (LOL).

What everyone was looking for... a well earned win!

This was just what we needed... and to listen to the team, winning a hard fought battle is way more fun.

DEFENSE wins games... last seven games the team has held their opponents scoring to the low 50s.

ZD... you got our score, I got the spread.

I say the players would call this game a grinder... hard fought, poorly officiated, and gutted out.

Welcome to the WCC... that was why this game was needed.

A week to give thanks and maybe a little TLC... you earned it.

Go Zags!!

Watched on the tube.

Yep, looked kinda' physical out there but it appeared that the Lady Zags kept their cool.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Great crowd even without the band or cheerleaders. Spike was energetic, ladies played hard, coach subbed well. And fun to see Zakira in the crowd!

Completely agree! Where did they get those refs? Hope they weren't WCC refs.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Watched on the tube.

Yep, looked kinda' physical out there but it appeared that the Lady Zags kept their cool.
    I watched on line.... until about the 3 minute mark in the 3rd Qtr. Then the stream went to the Land of Buffering, never to return to a live broadcast. I tried everything, including shutting down and re-starting my computer, but nothing worked. I had to resort to starring at the Live Stats link for the 4th Qtr.

Anyone else have this problem, or was it just me?

on the Missouri Ladybears forum, they complained about it as well......

its disgusting and humiliating....

to try to be a superior conference and have the WCC produce such a poor product......its disgraceful........

Quote Originally Posted by Zagineer View Post
    I watched on line.... until about the 3 minute mark in the 3rd Qtr. Then the stream went to the Land of Buffering, never to return to a live broadcast. I tried everything, including shutting down and re-starting my computer, but nothing worked. I had to resort to starring at the Live Stats link for the 4th Qtr.

Anyone else have this problem, or was it just me?
    Neer, I had the same problem except my stream went into the eternal Land of Buffering with just a few seconds left in the 3rd quarter. No fun just staring at the Live Stats link waiting for the next update. Gonzaga and the WCC should be able to do better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    ...DEFENSE wins games... last seven games the team has held their opponents scoring to the low 50s.

ZD... you got our score, I got the spread.

I say the players would call this game a grinder... hard fought, poorly officiated, and gutted out.

Welcome to the WCC... that was why this game was needed.
    Skip, you are so right that defense wins games. Defense also travels (much more consistently than offense), so despite our offensive prowess, it is defense which will carry us to the WCC championship and lead us into the tourney.

I had the spread as well, until Jessie went all wonder woman on the lady bears and stretched the lead out to 12. Humbug, but I can live with that.

Happy Holidays Skip,

ZagDad

Merry Christmas to you also ZD... and to the Board followers.

Been checking out the WCC... good luck figuring out the teams.

Good “D” will take it...

A week of R & R to heal... then back to the grinders.

Go Zags!!

An interesting visit to the MSU Wbb board this morning. I think there is universal agreement between fans on both sides that the WCC feed was and continues to be horrible and the officiating was not a lot better than the WCC streaming feed. In the end, MSU was only called for 17 fouls while the lady zags were called for 13 fouls. Both teams shot only 10 free throws in the game and both teams made 7 of the 10 possible shots. While many on the MSU board question the fouls on Emily Gartner, she still played 24 minutes and was a non-factor on offense all game long (shot 0-4). Hipp did not have the same defensive presence as Gartner, but she was more effective on the offensive side of the ball as she shot 3-7 including 1-1 from 3. Nobody seems to realize that LW only played 17 minutes last night for Gonzaga. I think that MK and AV (in her limited minutes) provided the Zags with little drop off from the starting frontcourt while the combination of Hipp, Ealy and Schultz were much less effective for MSU.

One last word on the officiating. I watched the SWX HD telecast locally in Spokane and the refs simply did not call almost any of the physicality in the key and the calls they did make were frequently of the ticky-tac variety on both sides. The refs did miss several blatant possession calls, most of which went the way of MSU. In the end, officiating did not decide this game, the ladies decided it on the court and they simply had to adjust to the game the officials were allowing them to play. If nothing else, yesterday's game was good prep for the physicality that St. Mary's and BYU are sure to bring.

Yesterday was probably the most complete game the Lady Zags have played all year possibly including Stanford. While Stanford shot poorly in the first half, they frequently were left open and simply missed the open shots. Yesterday, the Lady Zags rarely left anybody wide open whether inside the key or out on the 3-point line. Almost every shot was challenged and there were arms in the face of almost every shooter. There was almost none of the "hope the miss" defense which at times this year has made a presence. The ladies played a great defensive game and came away with the victory.

Some interesting numbers on yesterday's game. Gonzaga has made scoring after turnovers a top priority this year frequently outscoring the opposition by more than twice as many points after turnovers. While GU had fewer turnovers (18) than MSU (20) did yesterday, MSU actually scored more points after those turnovers than did GU (20-17).

3-point shooting was not a factor for either team. Gonzaga only took seven 3s and MSU only took ten 3s with both teams making three, 3-point shots. Equally, neither team had an advantage in fast break points as both teams had 8 fast break points in the game.

While many people have pointed out the difference in the Zag bench and the Bear bench, offensively, there was little to separate the two as the GU bench put up 19 points and the Bear bench put up 16 points.

Many of us thought that Points in the Paint was going to be one of the main determining factors in the game. In reality, not so much as Gonzaga won the points in the paint battle 40 vs 34. Another concern was second chance points off of offensive rebounds. While overall rebounding was equal (both teams gathered 39 boards), MSU obtained more offensive boards than GU (14 vs 11) and turned those o-boards into more second chance points (14 to 6).

Our typical 4th quarter let-down was limited to 3+ minutes and after giving up a 17 pt lead down 8 points, the ladies righted the ship and put the game away.

I think the pace of the first 2 quarters really impacted some of the MSU players, particularly Emily Gartner, who never seemed to find her legs after the 1st quarter. The relentless pressure defense, kept MSU off guard and affected their shooting. While Gonzaga shot pretty close to the average percentages (45.0%/42.9%/70.0%), MSU shot considerably under their normal shooting percentages (34.4%/30.0%/70.0%).

Our Lady Zags played a very good game against a high quality opponent. The ladies have 9 days off until their next game, 1st conference game, against Portland at home. A home game to get back in the swing of things before heading down to Provo and the Cougars for a game with our traditional rival.

Have a great week ladies, rest up and heal up and we will see you a week from today in the kennel for the kickoff for the second half of our season.

ZagDad

Congratulations to the lady zags, on a fine OOC. I saw most of the first half, before the feed went 'bonkers'... ZD, I know there was some 'questions' leading into this game, but CLF's squad should have put them 'all to rest'. Patented 'Gonzaga Defensive Effort' with everyone playing their roles on the offensive end, and Missouri State couldn't keep up. I can easily see them winning out (18-0) in the WCC...so a fine 29-1 record going into the WCC tourney and probably a 31-1 heading into the NCAA's.... Naturally, one qualifies assuming no injures, etc. but I don't foresee them losing a game. Not with that Defense!!! IMO

Anyway, to all board members and zag fans, have a Merry Christmas and a Joyful New Year!!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Kemo,

ZagDad