Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Gonzaga would finish 4th or 5th at best in Big 10"

Default "Gonzaga would finish 4th or 5th at best in Big 10"

According to Dan Dakich, who stated this today on his podcast with Seth Greenberg.

The recorded audio will be released -- and linked here -- in a bit. Good stuff

Current Big10 bball standings:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ings/_/group/7

Great year for Big 10; do you agree or disagree with Dan?

Edit: added link to playable audio
    Last edited by Goshzagit; 12-17-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Dakich doing his Dakich thing...as per usual

what a buffoon
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Another Dan Dakich thread already ? Time flies. . .

Words fail to describe what a fool this man is. Just transparently and probably self confessed stupid honk for the academically overrated land grants.

Kenpom (KP) has the relevant teams ranked as such:
    #1 Ohio St
    #5 Michigan St.
    #6 Gonzaga
    #7 Maryland
    #18 Michigan

I was surprised to see Purdue, who is next to the bottom of the conference and unranked nationally, at #10 on KP. Also, Penn St. who is third in the Big10 is ranked #24 on KP.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Kenpom (KP) has the relevant teams ranked as such:
    #1 Ohio St
    #5 Michigan St.
    #6 Gonzaga
    #7 Maryland
    #18 Michigan

I was surprised to see Purdue, who is next to the bottom of the conference and unranked nationally, at #10 on KP. Also, Penn St. who is third in the Big10 is ranked #24 on KP.
    Well... based off of our crushing defeat to Michigan.. and then looking at the current Kenpom rankings, it's not a stretch to imagine GU in a 4th place finish in the B10. The B10 is absolutely loaded this year. I don't agree with him. But I don't think it's objectively out of reason to believe the Zags would/could finish 4th.

Flip it and does he think any of the top B10 teams would go undefeated in WCC play?

I'd have to agree with FlyZag here.

While Dakich is a bonafide B1G homer, I don't think it's outside the realm of reason to have the opinion the Zags would finish 4-5th (personally I think we'd finish #2, but again that's within the realm of debatable IMO) with how stacked the Big Ten is this year with depth.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    Well... based off of our crushing defeat to Michigan.. and then looking at the current Kenpom rankings, it's not a stretch to imagine GU in a 4th place finish in the B10. The B10 is absolutely loaded this year. I don't agree with him. But I don't think it's objectively out of reason to believe the Zags would/could finish 4th.

Flip it and does he think any of the top B10 teams would go undefeated in WCC play?
    Dakich is generally worth ignoring, but he may not be completely off-base here. The Big 10 is stacked this year. I think we'd probably be higher than 4th, but it isn't an insane comment.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Noooo, the point is he singled out the Zags, rather than any of a dozen highly rated schools, to diminish their achievement so far. Why not Louisville, Dook.

What a Grinch!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post

Dakich won Kiddwell over during the PK80 season. His son was playing for Ohio State. We played them twice. The PK80 game was a blowout, the second (in the Big Dance) was fairly close. I thought he was frank and funny. He's entitled to his opinion on GU's hypothetical ranking inside the Big Ten. (I think he's still PO'd how we handled his son's team twice.) I think his opinion here is wrong, is somewhat sour grapes, but give me 8 million Dan Dakiches to one Bill "Do You know the Capital of Ukraine, The life cycle of a tadpole, What my favorite soup is, You ever been in Billings, Montana?" Walton.

Broadly speaking, Dakich talks basketball.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Don't take the bait. He's not that interesting.

If he had said they would place in the top 4-5 in the Big 10 I think the statement would of been fine.

Sure they could come in 5th but they could just as easily come in 1st. His statement implies they couldn't crack the top 3 which is not a well informed statement.

Podcasts are made for loose talk so it's just him being a homer.

I would assume Pomeroy is arguably the most objective.....Dan singled out Gonzaga because of their Conference.....not unreasonable....

We beat Oregon - oregon beat Michigan

We played Michigan on the third day straight of a tourney riddled with injuries. IF the game is played today it’s played completely different
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

He's still pissed off his kid's "THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY" team got their backsides handed to them
    by the ZAGS in the Phil Knight Tourney in Portland... what a boat race that was!

(OSU Lost to the Zags again in the Dance that same year if my memory isn't failing me)

Who's Dan Dakich? Regarding what he said, I will say that Ken Pomeroy disagrees with him. Those that vote in AP and Coaches poll disagree with him. Jeff Borzello (Power Rankings) and who ever puts out the BPI rankings disagree with Dan D. 'Nuff said.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Dan Dakich coached Bowling Green for ten years and never made the tournament. He won his league once. Mostly finished in the bottom half of his conference.

Besides that, he’s an arrogant punk. Which is weird considering his resume. Never liked his criticism of kids and coaches that have accomplished loads more than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Dan Dakich coached Bowling Green for ten years and never made the tournament. He won his league once. Mostly finished in the bottom half of his conference.

Besides that, he’s an arrogant punk. Which is weird considering his resume. Never liked his criticism of kids and coaches that have accomplished loads more than him.
    There you go, perfect. But don’t confuse the bully with facts from his past. He’s an expert. ESPN and the B10 nets say so. His main claim to fame, he played for the Uber bully.

who cares GU isn't in the Big10 and never will be. Zags would finish last in NBA Western Conference, first in Pac 12, first in MWC, etc. Doesn't matter. March results are what matter.

Let's all get back to the real question...

Could 2018 Duke beat the Cavaliers???

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    who cares GU isn't in the Big10 and never will be. Zags would finish last in NBA Western Conference, first in Pac 12, first in MWC, etc. Doesn't matter. March results are what matter.
    Have you seen the Warriors play this year?