Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UNC Injury News

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    It's not our fault that they are missing a couple of key players. Is anyone sending us any sympathy cards because of our injuries?
    No. But that doesn't mean you need to dance around his grave. What's your fascination with sending sympathy cards?

Is there an asterisk next to the Detroit Pistons title of 1989, just because Magic Johnson was injured during the NBA Finals that year?
    Yes.

Sometimes in basketball, it is better to be lucky than good. We were lucky to win in McKale last Saturday.
    I wouldn't call that win luck. We were the better team, and Sean Miller said so.

Our young team needs to be sharks, they need to smell the blood in the water. A win against NC, no matter who is on the floor for them, will go a long way when the selection team seeds us in March.
    Agreed.

[QUOTE=SorenTodd45;1489313]Sometimes in basketball, it is better to be lucky than good. We were lucky to win in McKale last Saturday.

What was it that made you think our victory in McKale Saturday was luck?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Replying to Reborn:

Especially when we were up 16 with 1:30 to go
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I just want the Zags to beat UNC.

There won't be an asterisk denoting that they had injured players.
    What’s more important is there is no asterisk denoting ours!
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Default agree with your thoughts ...

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    This just flat out sucks, for us, for them, for college basketball.

It's a special day when Gonzaga welcomes the University of North Carolina to the kennel, and we of course want them at full strength. Not to mention how important Anthony is to college basketball as a whole. The guy is a flat out stud.

Not nearly as excited now for this game. That said, our boys need to show up and show the depleted UNC team who's boss.

Go Zags.
    I was hoping for the Tarheels to have all their bullets and the Zags still beat them.....it is now one of those "no win" situations.....if the Zags win it will be "of course!, " the Tarheels can't even beat Wofford right now!" ...and if somehow the Zags lose, it will be a really bad loss....
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

One never, ever, ever, gloats or feels good about a kid (especially a college kid) getting injured. For all we know, his career is threatened. Probably not, but still. Come on, guys. (Most have been great).

Having said that, no team can cry a river about injuries to our squad. For the first 3 games of the season, Watson was our best player. He is clearly not the same person, perhaps not even playable right now. Both our guards have issues and then there is Tillie, the human MRI, who I am not sure has ever had a game when he wasn't in pain - yet here he is.

So, as far as injuries are concerned, we're right there.

And, I am not sure that UNC isn't more dangerous now. This IS their OOC season, right here. A win against us more than erases the Wofford game. Their bench players (if Anthony doesn't play) will be looking to make a statement.

Of course I would rather beat them at full throttle. But I am not sure that this team coming in isn't going to be a tougher game than had they crushed Wofford with Anthony scoring 30. It just doesn't work that way. They will be hungry. WE are the hunted.

But our guys outta have a bit of confidence now, especially our guards and Corey.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    One never, ever, ever, gloats or feels good about a kid (especially a college kid) getting injured. For all we know, his career is threatened. Probably not, but still. Come on, guys. (Most have been great).
    Having said that, no team can cry a river about injuries to our squad. For the first 3 games of the season, Watson was our best player. He is clearly not the same person, perhaps not even playable right now. Both our guards have issues and then there is Tillie, the human MRI, who I am not sure has ever had a game when he wasn't in pain - yet here he is.
    I'm not gloating, but this is a golden chance for our guys to get a signature win. The ACC is a plague on college basketball; I am sick and tired of the East Coast bias.

Do you guys see the ratings for CBB on ESPN?
    I have access to that info, and it makes me sick that everyone slobbers over Duke and UNC and no one is watching the Zags (outside of the Pacific Time Zone).

This game that is upcoming can send a clear message to the CBB world; the Zags are a force to be dealt with, and no one is going to push us around. I've been a Zag fan for exactly 20 years now, and I can't honestly remember having the anticipation I have for this Wednesday's game. If I had any tangible way to be at the Kennel, I would, but I will have to settle for ESPN2.
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

And, I am not sure that UNC isn't more dangerous now. This IS their OOC season, right here. A win against us more than erases the Wofford game. Their bench players (if Anthony doesn't play) will be looking to make a statement.

Of course I would rather beat them at full throttle. But I am not sure that this team coming in isn't going to be a tougher game than had they crushed Wofford with Anthony scoring 30. It just doesn't work that way. They will be hungry. WE are the hunted.

But our guys outta have a bit of confidence now, especially our guards and Corey.
    This! Zags better ignore any injury reports and get themselves good and ready for a dogfight of a game vs an opponent that is reeling from a bad loss, unexpected injuries and likely a fierce determination to have a bounce back performance on a nationally televised stage. Also good to remember, doesn't Carolina typically have more McD AA / 5* type players on their bench in a single season then Zags have in 3-4 year strethces? No idea who their bench players are and too lazy to look it up right now, but my guess is some very highly touted ballers eager to prove their worth will be 110% ready for this game. #ZagUp
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I won’t be surprised if UNC plays the Zags tight in the first half then fades in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Replying to Reborn:

Especially when we were up 16 with 1:30 to go
    Maybe that game will quiet some of the "experts" in here that criticize Few for leaving the starters in when everybody knows the game is won...

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    This! Zags better ignore any injury reports and get themselves good and ready for a dogfight of a game vs an opponent that is reeling from a bad loss, unexpected injuries and likely a fierce determination to have a bounce back performance on a nationally televised stage. Also good to remember, doesn't Carolina typically have more McD AA / 5* type players on their bench in a single season then Zags have in 3-4 year strethces? No idea who their bench players are and too lazy to look it up right now, but my guess is some very highly touted ballers eager to prove their worth will be 110% ready for this game. #ZagUp
    THIS!!!!

I would not have wanted to play Davidson without Curry............................................. .................................................. .......….or his mom....

I'm not gloating, but this is a golden chance for our guys to get a signature win.
    It's a better win if they're healthy and not on a 3-game losing streak, and we could still beat them healthy.

The ACC is a plague on college basketball; I am sick and tired of the East Coast bias.
    The ACC produces some of the best basketball in the country. Enjoy it.

Do you guys see the ratings for CBB on ESPN?
    I have access to that info, and it makes me sick that everyone slobbers over Duke and UNC and no one is watching the Zags (outside of the Pacific Time Zone).
    Why should we care?

This game that is upcoming can send a clear message to the CBB world; the Zags are a force to be dealt with, and no one is going to push us around.
    The message was sent when we made 20 straight tournaments, 5 straight sweet 16s, a final four, and beat Duke with arguably its best roster in recent memory. Most casual CBB fans respect the program, and if they don't, who cares?

I've been a Zag fan for exactly 20 years now, and I can't honestly remember having the anticipation I have for this Wednesday's game. If I had any tangible way to be at the Kennel, I would, but I will have to settle for ESPN2.
    That's awesome. Go Zags.

I don't feel any sympathy for UNC and the injuries they are dealing with. We have injuries to our players too. (Tillie, Watson, Woolridge, Gilder)

It's not like they are fielding a team of complete scrubs. UNC currently has the #2 (Cole Anthony), #18 (Armondo Bacot) & 79th (Anthony Harris) rated players from the 2019 class. The 51st (Leaky Black) from the 2018 class. And the 56th (Brandon Robinson) from the 2016 class. That is FIVE top 100 kids on their roster. AND they have senior transfer Christian Keeling, Jr. transfer KJ Smith.

Conversely, GU has the 47th (Timme), 62nd (Watson) and 92nd (Zacharov) players in the 2019 class. And the 56th (Petrusev) player in the 2018 class. That's it.

Does it suck that they might not have Anthony? Yes it does. But it sucked for us with Tillies knee putting him out of how many games? Watson's shoulder? Wooly's knee? etc. etc. etc.

The point is, They have scholarship athletes too. In fact, their walk-ons are probably pretty darn good. Better not overlook them injured or not. They are going to come out playing HARD. Coach Williams is a HOF coach. He will have them ready to play.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    I don't feel any sympathy for UNC and the injuries they are dealing with. We have injuries to our players too. (Tillie, Watson, Woolridge, Gilder).
    Exactly. Why should I feel sympathy for them, when we have injuries too? If zagdontzig wants to pick apart every sentence of my posts, more power to him (or her). I refuse to back down; not only have I been a member of the 506 sports board for 10 years but I have been a college hoop fan since Kareem's first name was Lewis (it's actually Ferdinand, but whatever). UNC has to play the hand that they are dealt, and so do we.

I don't know the main announcer yet (color guy will be Jay Bilas), but if ESPN starts spouting their usual East Coast bias, I am going to be searching out KGA 103.5 really quickly. If any game was meant to be on ROOT, this is the one, but it's just not meant to be.

Exactly. Why should I feel sympathy for them, when we have injuries too? If zagdontzig wants to pick apart every sentence of my posts, more power to him (or her). I refuse to back down; not only have I been a member of the 506 sports board for 10 years but I have been a college hoop fan since Kareem's first name was Lewis (it's actually Ferdinand, but whatever). UNC has to play the hand that they are dealt, and so do we.

I don't know the main announcer yet (color guy will be Jay Bilas), but if ESPN starts spouting their usual East Coast bias, I am going to be searching out KGA 103.5 really quickly. If any game was meant to be on ROOT, this is the one, but it's just not meant to be.
    Outside of GU there isn’t much left coast basketball to recommend.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Good lord...Gonzaga is America's team...…. no team or coach get more attention or respect than Gonzaga from the National Media….. ESPN has been fawning over them during the Texas Tech Southern Miss Broadcast ….at halftime Lafonso and whatshisname said NC has no chance and the tickets are going for $1500 each....

Exactly. Why should I feel sympathy for them, when we have injuries too?
    Because we respect our competition and should always hope the best for the physical wellness of all student-athlete. I have plenty of sympathy and empathy for all student athletes. You can (and should) hope Cole Anthony heels up quickly and still want the Zags to win at the same time. Alternatively, should should also avoid celebrating anyone getting hurt. Your position is truly indefensible as both a human and a competitor, and it's really bad fandom.

If zagdontzig wants to pick apart every sentence of my posts, more power to him (or her). I refuse to back down[.]
    Ok, I will, and you really should. Your takes are scalding hot and pointless at the same time.

[N]ot only have I been a member of the 506 sports board for 10 years but I have been a college hoop fan since Kareem's first name was Lewis (it's actually Ferdinand, but whatever).
    Being a member of many boards is neither an achievement or testament to your credibility. Your post count per day is though, and not in a good way.

Bilas can be annoying, but it's because he's a Duke homer, not because the coast has it out for west coast ball.

Feeling sympathy for a team is entirely different than finding it positive that a kid is hurt, or even worse, glad a kid is hurt.

I don't feel sympathy for the UNC program that Anthony is hurt. It's part of the game, and to a varying degree all teams deal with it, including us more than most lately.

No one is feeling sorry for UNC. I do feel bad for Anthony, as he's a phenom to enjoy while he's here in college. Would be nice to compete and beat him/them.

I do feel UNC is extremely dangerous in this position. It is more the loss to Wofford that scares me, much more than the loss of Anthony.

If you're UNC, you do not lose to Wofford even playing your second 5.

They are going to come out angry and motivated. We have to match their intensity, which I am confident we can do. But our guys still have to show up and play hard. Walking on the floor with a GU jersey and a top 5 ranking isn't going to win it.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Because we respect our competition and should always hope the best for the physical wellness of all student-athlete. I have plenty of sympathy and empathy for all student athletes. You can (and should) hope Cole Anthony heels up quickly and still want the Zags to win at the same time. Alternatively, should should also avoid celebrating anyone getting hurt. Your position is truly indefensible as both a human and a competitor, and it's really bad fandom.
    I'm a bad Gonzaga fan? I'm a bad fan? Let's see, I went out of my way and traveled 400 miles to attend the 2017 Final Four in Phoenix, AZ. If that makes me a bad fan, then whatever. And Cole Anthony is a "student-athlete" in name only; he's an obvious "one-and-done". Anyone who thinks otherwise must also think that I will run for president in 2020.

Ask yourself this: Would a GU win over UNC be more respected if they are at full steam rather than a victory over UNC at half power due to UNC injuries? It answers itself. We do not gloat over injuries but the fact is that to us and to the nation, a victory over a team who's got key injuries just is not as important. Also though, it's good to be mindful that all 12 or more players on the UNC team could beat GU in a flash if the noninjured kids have a good night.
    SO while I'm not happy they have injuries, I'm still going to like A VICTORY...….the victory just won't seem as important when UNC has key injuries.....difference making injuries.

As we head toward our own conference, we know a loss would hurt us both in RPI, BPI or the quad system. Best to win knowing full well the outcome could be different if UNC was at full power. I'd like to win a title this year. At least a FF. As our team has developed, that's very possible. As the season progresses, I doubt many of us will be thinking about UNC. Let's just get more W's and move one. Go Zags!!
    Last edited by MDABE80; 12-16-2019 at 09:19 PM.

I'm a bad Gonzaga fan? I'm a bad fan? Let's see, I went out of my way and traveled 400 miles to attend the 2017 Final Four in Phoenix, AZ. If that makes me a bad fan, then whatever. And Cole Anthony is a "student-athlete" in name only; he's an obvious "one-and-done". Anyone who thinks otherwise must also think that I will run for president in 2020.
    Well you would get my vote....

All I know is that UNC is a wounded animal. Several consecutive losses, and out of the polls today for the first time in a long time. I would not underestimate that a program like theirs and their hall of fame coach, that they will be very, very wanting to leave Spokane with a quality road win. The Zags have been known to play down to the competition (not so much recently). Maybe UNC had a bit of that, combined with those key injuries.

But at this point in the season (OOC), beating the #2 Zags on the road would be a huge, huge prize. Expect them to play their hearts out.

And Cole Anthony is a "student-athlete" in name only; he's an obvious "one-and-done". Anyone who thinks otherwise must also think that I will run for president in 2020.
    In light of some of your posts on this thread, I can't help but wonder if you are actually the President now.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Asyourself this: Would a GU win over UNC be more respected if they are at full steam rather than a victory over UNC at half power due to UNC injuries? It answers itself. We do not gloat over injuries but the fact is that to us and to the nation, a victory over a team who's got key injuries just is not as important. Also though, it's good to be mindful that all 12 or more players on the UNC team could beat GU in a flash if the noninjured kids have a good night.
    SO while I'm not happy they have injuries, I'm still going to like A VICTORY...….the victory just won't seem as important when UNC has key injuries.....difference making injuries.
    I think a victory over UNC will always be felt as awesome, especially when we play them in K2, in our home for our fans to see. I don't think there will be one fan who is at that game will feel in the least bit bad because a couple players were injured and didn't play. I hope there will be some fathers there who take their little sons to witness this awesome event. Actually, it's mind blowing to me. If we beat them, in my mind, there will never be an asterisk.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!