Thread: Observations from Tuscon

Default Observations from Tuscon

Wanted to give my 2 cents watching the game from the Mckale Center. First off, it's no big secret that Gilder played well. Besides his 4/4 from 3, he really played well both offensively and defensively. He had one forced/bad floater in the first half and that's the only bad decision I can remember him making. He played within himself and the offense and really looked like a true Zag tonight.

Ryan Woolridge was RIDICULOUSLY good tonight..his defense in Mannion was otherworldly. Truly, he played him damn near perfectly. Just locked in all night in both ends. Although he not a huge offensive threat, he constantly gets us in the looks we want which is PARAMOUNT for a PG.

Pet really battled tonight. I know he struggled at the line and somewhat on the boards but man he was working out there. Super proud of him.

Ayayi was terrific as well. Excellent on defense and great on offense as well. Had some really slick passes tonight that had the Arizona crowd oohing and awwing.

Lastly, Kispert calmed the storm time and time again. He hit some really clutch shots tonight. It seemed like all of them seemed to stop a run that AZ was on. He also really held Green in check, his defense was outstanding.

Lastly, another shout out to Few. It was clear tonight he was coaching circles around pit stain Miller and it wasnt even that close. He had EVERY counter for everything AZ threw our way. Really took the air out of the arena in the best way.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Let me know what you guys thought, I'm still coming down off my victory high! Go Zags!

100%

i imagine what a great flight home Zags will have

Thanks for the on-the scene recap, Leighton

Did that place ever get loud? It doesn’t seem like home court is a huge advantage from a crowd perspective, at least from my couch...

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Did that place ever get loud? It doesn’t seem like home court is a huge advantage from a crowd perspective, at least from my couch...
    Gonzaga definitely took the crowd out of it in the second half. The Zags just kept pulling away, point by point until we got 16 points ahead. The air, by that point of the game, was taken out of the arena. It WAS deathly quiet. The Zags did dig a deep hole for the wildcats and then buried. Like their coach said in the interview, the Zags were 10-15 points better tonight.

I agree.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I was at half court about 17 rows up, I thought the U of A fans were extremely loud, almost annoyingly so. I've never been to the Kennel, but have seen the Zags in Phoenix, San Diego, Las Vegas and Santa Clara (4 x's). This was by far the loudest college game I've been to. There were people screaming at the top of their lungs when the score was in the single digits.

Thanks Leighton for the eye-witness recap. Especially your comment about Kispert repeatedly calming the storm when we had to have it. Spot-on also about the job Coach Few (and staff) did tonight. That last 90 seconds has me puzzled as it is not indicative of the poise this team has shown when needed (i.e. vs Oregon and U-Dub). I couldn't understand why Petrusev was on the bench during that time; yes, he isn't a great FT shooter, but my gawd he is a defensive presence in the lane and a plus rebounder.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

And a huge shot blocker as well Pro. And he's getting better in all phases.

Still remember being at the game between these two in Spokane when Arizona bussed in a bunch of fans... And the chants of U of A at the end of the game that were drowning out the Zag fans at the end of the game as the Wildcats won. I was hoping to hear chants of Go Zags Go at the end of this one. How loud were the Zag fans in attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrok View Post
    I was at half court about 17 rows up, I thought the U of A fans were extremely loud, almost annoyingly so. I've never been to the Kennel, but have seen the Zags in Phoenix, San Diego, Las Vegas and Santa Clara (4 x's). This was by far the loudest college game I've been to. There were people screaming at the top of their lungs when the score was in the single digits.
    Wish the dead-weight in the Kennel on the camera side would learn something from the Zona fans.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I think if they were voting for the National Coach of the year right now....Few would win....again....