Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watson, Tillie injury update from Jim Meehan via Twitter

Default Watson, Tillie injury update from Jim Meehan via Twitter

Anton Watson's shoulder popped out of place a couple times in the first half. Same one that he injured at Texas A&M. Killian Tillie sprained his ankle late, said he hopes to tough it out and play Wednesday.

Link: https://twitter.com/SRJimm

Walking wounded team.

Watson re-injuring that shoulder is no bueno...have to imagine he's going to be sitting for most of conference play. Hopefully nothing was torn.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Walking wounded team.
    All the more impressive what this team is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Watson re-injuring that shoulder is no bueno...have to imagine he's going to be sitting for most of conference play. Hopefully nothing was torn.
    Agree. Even though we need him, there's no point in playing if it's going to keep popping out on him.

Of the 4 freshman I thought would get real minutes this year (Watson, Timme, Ravet, and Ballo), it might be down to just Timme.

IMO it's time to start playing Arlauskas, and rest Watson for a while.

Personally, I'm hoping against all hope that somehow Ballo gets cleared to play. I know that it won't happen, but it sure would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Agree. Even though we need him, there's no point in playing if it's going to keep popping out on him.

Of the 4 freshman I thought would get real minutes this year (Watson, Timme, Ravet, and Ballo), it might be down to just Timme.
    Good observation ... and yet we keep on winning.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Hopefully Tillies sprained ankle heals up. A breakout game for him against UNC on Wed would do wonders for his draft stock.

I still cannot believe that this Gonzaga team is going to be hosting North Carolina on Wednesday on campus. A team who has made more final fours than any team ever. If you followed this program before 1999, you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I still cannot believe that this Gonzaga team is going to be hosting North Carolina on Wednesday on campus. A team who has made more final fours than any team ever. If you followed this program before 1999, you know what I mean.
    It’s gonna be awesome.

And, despite a raft of injuries, we are going to be favored.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    And, despite a raft of injuries, we are going to be favored.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    It sure helps when IMHO we have a Mike Hart bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Anton Watson's shoulder popped out of place a couple times in the first half. Same one that he injured at Texas A&M. Killian Tillie sprained his ankle late, said he hopes to tough it out and play Wednesday.

Link: https://twitter.com/SRJimm
    Ughhh...I wonder if getting surgery to fix that shoulder and RS this year is now being considered. It’s not gong to heal if he keeps playing and it keeps popping out. Seems to me best option is think big picture; Watson only a frosh...get that shoulder fixed, heal up then start strengthening and getting ready for 2020-21 season.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Ughhh...I wonder if getting surgery to fix that shoulder and RS this year is now being considered. It’s not gong to heal if he keeps playing and it keeps popping out. Seems to me best option is think big picture; Watson only a frosh...get that shoulder fixed, heal up then start strengthening and getting ready for 2020-21 season.
    Yeah it should be an interesting and hopefully productive few weeks for Anton. After UNC, we have 2 games over 15 days against lesser opponents. I would imagine Anton will focus significantly on rehab and strengthening his shoulder during that stretch which couldn’t come at a better time for him. We should have a good idea come January 2 conference game as to what exactly this will look like moving forward this season.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    This.

The more times it pops out, the more involved the fix.

Every time it dislocated, or even subluxes, additional tears are created, leading to subsequent scar tissue, further labrum issues, etc.

Shoulder surgery to repair, tighten, & clean out takes a good 5 months to recover fully from i.e. an entire off season.

Josh Perkins had surgery in April, wasn't 100% until October! Didnt start shooting again until late June, etc.

Shut him down, get it fixed, start rehab asap, allow him an extra few months to strength train, rehab, and develop himself.

Perkins was never going to be a lottery pick, while Watson's NBA future is at stake with this shoulder.

Address it now, allow him an opportunity to get healthy and showcase his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    IMO it's time to start playing Arlauskas, and rest Watson for a while.
    I'm also curious as to why Marty isn't playing more. Is it that he just isn't as talented as the other freshmen?
    UNITED WE ZAG, BAY-BEE, UNITED WE ZAG

I think after NC you will see a lot more of Marty. Most teams have easy teams early and can work them in. This year we had so many new players that they had to play most of the minutes early to get used to each other for the bigger games. Now I think we can see some of younger players get action

Multiple players in NBA/NCAA with unstable shoulders.

Not sure why Watson isnt sporting a shoulder immobilizer brace designed for bball players...he hurt his shoulder on playing defense last night, its moving in the joint.

Candace Parker dislocated her shoulder nearly every game, like 6 or 7 disclocations, until she started wearing a stability brace. She also wore in college. Seen here:

Mahinmi suffered recurring dislocations too, brace needed:

Or at least some kinesthetic/support tape:

Watson going on 4 dislocations now, probably overdue and/or a very good reason he isnt wearing one anymore.
    Last edited by raise the zag; 12-15-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Would not be shocked if we see him sporting this later in the year. It does seem odd that the last couple games he has injured it within minutes. Is he practicing on it or is it just unlucky timing?

Would not be shocked if we see him sporting this later in the year. It does seem odd that the last couple games he has injured it within minutes. Is he practicing on it or is it just unlucky timing?
    Just finished watching the replay of game, Watson had no contact, it was simply the speed of movement to get his hands in the air, meaning shoulder is unstable, and will be until he secures it -- with a full time brace, whether he wants to wear or not, surgery, or months of constant rehab/strength training.

It is truly amazing. Coach Few has done the impossible.

I’d be surprised if we see him again this year. I have a feeling he’s going to get shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post
    I’d be surprised if we see him again this year. I have a feeling he’s going to get shut down.
    I would think so, too. Seems the only option. Makes no sense to re-hurt every game. Try a medical RS.

Gonzaga women have a player wearing that very same shoulder brace.... so the training staff are familiar with it.