Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sean Miller quote from post game coverage

Default Sean Miller quote from post game coverage

I felt this worthy of its own thread. I love this description of the Zags:

“For them it’s never one player, it's always a team, and the best team is gonna win,” Miller said. “What I mean by that is it's not superlatives of who played well individually. Gonzaga does not beat themselves, and we’ve played them six times since I've been here. Every game, their style is virtually the same. The faces change, but they have a way of playing that they believe in. They have a great coach.

“And the other thing about them is they're battle tested, the guys on their team. They’ve played against the best, they've played on away courts. You're not going to spook them. They're going to do what they do.”

Link: https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawil...d056b239e.html

awesome

Nice and true

Spot on, we have a great coach.

Thanks, ZagNative: Just a great interview. It was just fantastic to hear him analyze the Zags. He's a very very smart coach. I've always liked him. For one reason he's one coach who has an elite program who has always played Gonzaga home and home, when he really didn't have to, and so many coaches would never even consider it. I like this series as much as ours with the UW, and for some years I've liked it more. We've had some great games with Arizona over the years.

This is a very insightful interview full of good insights for both teams.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Miller's press conference was extremely complimentary of Gonzaga and Coach Few.

In addition to the above respect shown to the Zags from Miller,

WOW, look at this tribute from a Tuscon Sports Writer: Greg Hanson
    Before Gonzaga’s first-ever game against Arizona, Nov. 29, 2000, a reporter asked UA All-Pac-10 forward Michael Wright if he knew much about the Zags.

“Like what?” Wright said.

“Do you know where Gonzaga is?”

“Oregon, right?” said Wright.

No. 5 Arizona beat the Zags 101-87 that night, but all of that cute stuff about Gonzaga — How do you pronounce it? Where is it? Is the coach really named Few? — lost its playfulness years ago.

https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen...iderail-latest
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-16-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks for linking that interview ZagNative. I liked how he mentioned our small ball lineup with Kispert at the four. I couldn’t help but notice how long we had that lineup on the floor and how well it worked for us tonight. Even though we’re a hobbled team health wise, it is a real comfort to know we can go either big or small and have success against good teams.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

From tonight:

Arizona was so eager to play Big Boy basketball against sixth-ranked Gonzaga on Saturday night that it sprinted the first lap, fists clenched, took a 16-7 lead, ran out of gas and got shoved off the stage.
    https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen...b0b89faee.html

I just wish Hansen would emphasize that while Gonzaga has had this success without recruiting the typical one and done McDonald's AA types, the international players they have attained like Sabonis or even Karnowski would have been Burger Boys if they were US prospects. People forget that as soon as Karno touched down in America, Coach K and Bill Self were calling him. Gonzaga recruits a different level of international prospect than most D1 or even high major teams.

This is an excellent thread. It illuminates the heart of GU basketball.
    Go Zags!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

"Gonzaga is really good. Grown men. “They’re fantastic,’’ UA coach Sean Miller said. "Man, you’re playing against a real team." And more feel good stuff for Zags fans here: https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen...b0b89faee.html

The next Gonzaga article down is a comprehensive history of coach Few and Gonzaga. Outstanding.
    https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen...iderail-latest
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher
    Why would you worry when you can pray

UA considers GU and them to be the top dogs in the West. Kudos to them for keeping this series going.

Greg Hansen is one of the most interesting sports writers about the zags I have seen in a long time, especially for not being in our stable!

Sean Miller referenced Few's press conference just before his. I did some digging to try to find it, but no luck, and even the Zags' youtube channel isn't updated with Arizona-related content. Is anyone aware of a link?

Does anyone have a replay of the Woolridge block at the end of the 1st half? I was driving listening on the radio and missed the video.

Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    Does anyone have a replay of the Woolridge block at the end of the 1st half? I was driving listening on the radio and missed the video.
    See this thread, adoptedzag

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...ne-Zona-Replay

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I just wish Hansen would emphasize that while Gonzaga has had this success without recruiting the typical one and done McDonald's AA types, the international players they have attained like Sabonis or even Karnowski would have been Burger Boys if they were US prospects. People forget that as soon as Karno touched down in America, Coach K and Bill Self were calling him. Gonzaga recruits a different level of international prospect than most D1 or even high major teams.
    The article says "elite-level players", I'm not sure how much more he's supposed to say about them and I don't think he's under appreciating our international recruiting in the slightest. He can't actually guarantee they would have been Mcondald's AA if they lived in the US. Thought the article was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Miller View Post

“we’ve played them six times since I've been here. Every game, their style is virtually the same."
    If Sean believes that, it might help explain his inabilty to win the lsat 3 games vs the Zags. He doesn't realize that the teams GU has are not the teams from 2012 or 2014.

Even in just the last 3 games he's seen very different teams. 2016-2017 was a defensive juggernaut and with inside-out offense and scoring dominated by the guards without elite speed or athleticism on the perimiter, and with a traditional low-post frontcourt that didn't stretch the floor(Goss, Perkins, Matthews, Karno, JW3).

'18-'19 saw the nation's best frontcourt, a super thin and streaky backcourt that couldn't much score at the rim, pretty ragged team defense (especially in November) and a couple elite athletic superfreak NBA lottery types (BC, Rui) who do NOT play like traditional post guys.

'19-'20 team is still a work in progress, but the team, especially how it showed up last saturday, didn't really match either of the prior two. Long and quick defending and rebounding backcourt, little in the way of rim protection, excellent 3pt shooting, terrible FTs, and a bunch of zone defense.

Maybe Miller still thinks he's coaching against against Kyle Wiltjer or Kevin Pangos or freshman Karnowski, but those teams are stylistically ancient history. Narratives die hard.

Congrtas on your vault to numer 2 A very hard thing to do what with all the East-Coast bias. Arizona and Gonzaga have enjoyed some damn good battles. Scorewise this game doesnt really show what the game was about. We couldn't do anyhting to save our arses. I always enjoy when we get together and battle. There is this truly respect from both sides. Looking forward to more games like this....but with different outcome ) Maybe see you ion the FINAL???

Historically...Hansen is not respected here in Tucson, for various reason.

Quote Originally Posted by AZip View Post
    Congrtas on your vault to numer 2 A very hard thing to do what with all the East-Coast bias. Arizona and Gonzaga have enjoyed some damn good battles. Scorewise this game doesnt really show what the game was about. We couldn't do anyhting to save our arses. I always enjoy when we get together and battle. There is this truly respect from both sides. Looking forward to more games like this....but with different outcome ) Maybe see you ion the FINAL???
    Thanks and welcome. Seacat will be glad to have another Cat fan in the forum.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by AZip View Post
    Thanks for posting. Some of my first memories of GU basketball were of the so-called instant classic multiple overtime game. I think many people have re-relived that Blane Stepp missed bunny at the end. There have been some good games and I always look forward to this matchup. I hope there are many more.