Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Arizona Post Game thoughts and analysis

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    There is no excusing that finish.....I guess the good news is that they will remember it and the coaches will remind them and hopefully not have it happen again...
    Yes, there is.

They had it won, they knew it, and Arizona hit circus shots - 4 in a row, and we couldn't hit a couple FTs.

Don't take too much away from it.

We started congratulating ourselves with a minute left.

They'll not do that again.

Let's try not to let it get in the way of a great game.

It's a big win in the scorebook and one that will look great to the committee.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

4 point win after having a 16 point lead with 1:30 left in the game!!!!! that was just not right!!! I thought the Zags played great at times but some poor decisions and poor FT shooting have me worried! Hope they can correct both during the WCC regular season games ...if they can I believe March Madness is wide open with no clear cut "best team" in college basketball this season....there are probably a dozen teams that could win it all this year.
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    There is no excusing that finish.....I guess the good news is that they will remember it and the coaches will remind them and hopefully not have it happen again...
    It sure wasn't pretty to see. Missing all those free throws and watching our lack of poise in the last couple minutes. However, I am not upset because it was/is a learning experience. Our guys have not had a big lead like this against a really good team like Arizona and we took the foot off the pedal and it showed. The team will learn from this, and in a way it will give the coaches something to chew them out about. Afterall, it was a really beautiful game up to the last two minutes. The team played so well, and were so prepared to play a quality game in a very tough arena.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    The ending was so bad. We literally collapsed.
    Good coaching material, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Yes, there is.

They had it won, they knew it, and Arizona hit circus shots - 4 in a row, and we couldn't hit a couple FTs.

Don't take too much away from it.

We started congratulating ourselves with a minute left.

They'll not do that again.

Let's try not to let it get in the way of a great game.

It's a big win in the scorebook and one that will look great to the committee.
    ..I agree it's a big win in the scorebook, not sure if a 15 point win is weighted any more than a 4 point win at Arizona, but it would have been nice to make FT's and make better decisions down the stretch...those 2 things are usually characteristics of championship teams...today the Zags failed that test!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Will count as a good win. -- that works for me.

We secured the auto dance ticket....from the Pac12.
    now I am pulling for Oregon, Washington and Arizona to finish in a 3 way for 1st place in the Pac-12!!! ...well in my mind it would be for 2nd place with the Zags in 1st all by themselves!!!!

Who's your Daddy....the Conference of Champions will have that albatross around their neck for the rest of the season....3 very big wins on ESPN...

And now....North Carolina ….doesn't get much better in the non conference...

Zags defeated UA in Tucson...couldn’t be happier

That was such a fun game! What a season it's been!

It was an amazing game. I coudnt believe we were up at half with how poorly we rebounded in the first half. I loved that all small lineup in the second half, and if Tillie had not gotten hurt, we would have won by 20. My favorite play was the woolridge steak and then block on Zeke. It was good to see Gilder play better as well. He looked like he was moving better. Woolridge was the key guy to a balanced Domi action tonight. I am incredibly disappointed in how we played the final two minutes. It shows a lack of gamesmanship and mental toughness to let a team back in with such a commanding lead with lazy defense and lazy offense. It gives Few a lot to work o while at the same time confidence from such a big win. We demolish UNC on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    It was an amazing game.... We demolish UNC on Wednesday.
    I love your last sentence.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    We demolish UNC on Wednesday.
    I'm riding the wagon with you! I thought UW would be the stumbling block out of the "Big 3" opponents in this stretch. That is in the rear view mirror now and we have a "wildcat" pelt hanging down from it as well!! We've got a score to settle with the Tarheels and I think we will do it IN SPADES.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Because of foul trouble for our bigs in this game Few had to go with 4 guards in the second half, if you count Kispert as a guard. He had Kispert, Ayayi, Gilder, and Woolridge in at the same time. Gilder also had to sub for Kispert and the small forward position which I'm sure he doesn't do much. He did a great job. A lot of us were really hoping Gilder would have a big game and he sure did.
    Sean Miller alluded to this being what gave Arizona fits. They weren’t ready for GU to go small and did not have Gilder on their radar. These Zags certainly found a way to win. Great group of Zags

We will forget about that near collapse by the UNC game.

We will remember we beat Top 15 Arizona at Arizona the rest of the season...and beyond...

Winning record vs Zona in the Mark Few era. 9 consecutive victories vs Pac 12 teams, and beating the Top 3 teams in Pac 12 in same season.

Honorary Pac 12 Champs.

Spokane regional here we come!

That which does not kill you makes you stronger.

Actually, that finish may have been the best thing that could have happened. Still get the win and a lot of teaching moments.

Zeke Nnaji for Arizona isn't the most polished player but his motor is off the charts. His energy and "want to" really shows up on the offensive glass. Super impressed with him.
    I miss Mike Hart

First off, a big congrats to the announcers. No WOOF WOOF, no tales of an overdue library book, just solid basketball commentary. As to the game, those last 3 minutes were painful. I'm sure Coach Few and staff will have a lot to say about that.
    UNITED WE ZAG, BAY-BEE, UNITED WE ZAG

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    First off, a big congrats to the announcers. No WOOF WOOF, no tales of an overdue library book, just solid basketball commentary. As to the game, those last 3 minutes were painful. I'm sure Coach Few and staff will have a lot to say about that.
    Agreed, solid work.

Farnham was good color per usual yet play by play was meh for me.

Mark Few flat out coached the guy in the desert. Outstanding game plan going in. Better adjustments during the game.

Double teaming their star big disrupted what Arizona was trying to do. Walling up deep in the paint produced several frustrating possessions for the Cats.

When Few changed the offensive script to a smaller lineup using ball screens and high pick and rolls with Petrusev, Miller had no answer.

All three games against PAC 12 opponents were game planned almost to perfection. I nominate Few as PAC 12 Coach of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Sean Miller alluded to this being what gave Arizona fits. They weren’t ready for GU to go small and did not have Gilder on their radar. These Zags certainly found a way to win. Great group of Zags
    It was a perfect game for Gilder to show up. I know we talked about a player showing up and having a transcendent game in another thread, this performance did it.

It wasn't an Ammo type performance, but with the quality of the team, it was what was needed. UA couldn't quite respond.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    All three games against PAC 12 opponents were game planned almost to perfection. I nominate Few as PAC 12 Coach of the Year.
    I second that nomination. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we would be 3-0 against the Pac-12 this season (and 3 of their best teams, no less), but here we are. I really hope we can play one of those teams again in the Dance, it would be epic.
    UNITED WE ZAG, BAY-BEE, UNITED WE ZAG

Just watched replay...Arizona was touching the ball waaaaay to much after made baskets slowing down our break....that needs to be stopped....part of UA game plan imo.

Mannion 3-20 was difference

Well now that my pulse has returned to normal and the dog has come out from under the bed..... I can fully appreciate how important this game is.... and how good this team is......would not be surprised to see them in the top three in the rankings....

The biggest thing for me is the fact that with one non-confidence game left we have one loss, that's it, and to a team no one expected when the schedule came out. We have one more game in the non-conference gauntlet and very easily will have one lose. I never envisioned this year's team being this good. Mark Few has his best coaching job going right now!!

Agree on Few. Doubling the terrific AZ big, calling TOs sooner than too late, deploying four guards, all brilliant. As was doubling and pressing vs Husks. Very unlike Few. Those last 3 minutes, however, were horrifying. All things considered, that was Kispert’s best game as a Zag. Leadership, calmness, rebounds, strong drives when his J was clearly off.

So much to like in this game. Including beating Arizona which is our biggest rival to me personally.

But we’ve wilted against the press a few times now. Our performance against Oregon and now Arizona with a lead gets nothing but an F grade. We are 300th in the nation in free throw shooting and our decision making in these situations has been horrible. Even if you give the guys a pass for a few possessions due to the score and situation (which is something the 2017 squad didn’t do, let up), it quickly got tight and the poor decisions kept happening. We weren’t up 16 when our point guard drove to the hoop instead of pulling it out and running clock. We were in double bonus and there was zero reason to draw a foul at the rim in that situation.

But earlier there was a sequence by RW on defense that was insanely entertaining and shows how tough he is. Kispert playing PF and fighting guys inside on defense is hard to do but he did it. And to make that in game adjustment was awesome by the staff. A lot to love, but there is a blue print to beating us. Someone will press us and put us on the line and we have been bad in that situation this season.