Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Arizona Post Game thoughts and analysis

Default Zags vs Az Post Game thoughts

Zags win 84 to 80.

I had UCLA flashback for a second. Geesh.

Kispert, gilder,joel and woolridge had great games.

Where is everyone?
    Love the zags for life

Make a Free Throw!!!

The ending was so bad. We literally collapsed.
    Love the zags for life

The way we played the first 19 minutes of the second half we are the best team in the country. Last minute not so much.

Interestingly, the final margin is about right. Four points plus 5 for the road win and we are 9 better than the Millers. GU is number 6, let’s not forget.

We won....nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Make a Free Throw!!!
    This.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

- just win baby, win.............and win they did, so lets be happy, and trying to keep the hand ringing to a minimum.

- yes we shot poorly at the line, but for all the complaints, free throw shooting has not cost us a game this year.

Will count as a good win. -- that works for me.

We secured the auto dance ticket....from the Pac12.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    We won....nuff said
    We did but you dont think they have to have a learning experience?
    Love the zags for life

Congrats to Zags.....all that matters is W on the road

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    We did but you dont think they have to have a learning experience?

its the road

Default Gonzaga vs Arizona Post Game thoughts and analysis

Gonzaga 84
    Arizona 80

A great victory for the Zags on ARIZONA'S home court! Just an awesome effort by the Zags. Congrats to Mark Few and staff. It was a great game plan, and they got the team ready to play in a very very very tough environment.

The game wasn't really this close. Gonzaga pretty much dominated Arizona the second half, getting a lead up to 16 points. However, the Zags couldn't hit a foul shot in the last couple minutes and Arizona got hot. ARIZONA closed it to 2 points and to my surprise Woolridge hit to free throws to ice the game. Finally someone stepped up and hit a foul shot. Foul shooting was bad the whole night and Few really needs to do something about this. Petrusev especially is really bad, and right now worse than Karnowski was. No excuse for that. He shot 4-9, and twice missed two in a row. Ayayi was 2-4 from the line and one of those was the front end of a one and one in the last 40 seconds. Overall the Zags shot 17-30 for 57%. The good thing about it is that we did shoot 30 foul shots to Arizona's 13. Arizona was 12-13; so I'm glad we weren't fouling them the second half. Most of their foul shots were the first half. I believe they shot 10 of those 13 the first half.

One of the big keys to the game was Woolridge's defense on Mannion, Arizona's star Freshman point guard. Mannion shot 3-20 for the game and 1-10 from beyond the 3 point line. Gilder also had a huge game. His best by far. He made 4-4 from behind the arch, and scored 16 points for the game. By far his best game. He was also 2-3 from the foul line. His 3 point shooting was beautiful. I felt Kispert had a good game scoring 18 points and leading the Zags in scoring. He wasn't really all that on from behind the 3 point line (2-7) but was 2-2 from the Foul Line and he scored 5 two point baskets. It was good to see him scoring in other ways. KIspert also led the Zags in rebounding with 8. Very good. Petrusive had a good game as he scored 17 points and 7 boards.

Rebounding was pretty even, ARIZONA with 44 and the Zags with 43. The Zags did give up 17 offensive boards though which was really really bad, and most of them were in the beginning of the game; and the Zags did begin to clean that up as the game wore on.

The key to the win really was the defense as we held them to 38% shooting for the game, and just 26% from behind the 3 point line. They shot just 8-30 from behind the arch. I believe they were like 1-15 at half time; so you can see they shot better the second half, and especially in the last 3 or 4 minutes. Overall the Zags did a good job on their two star freshmen, NInaji and Mannion. Ninaji was held to 16 points, and just 6 the second half. Ninaji did clean up on the boards in a big way. He managed to get 17.

It was a great win.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

its the road
    Exactly. Shouldnt blow almost a 16 point lead in 2minutes. Its a good learning experience.
    Love the zags for life

Reborn we have one my man. I waited for u to make it but i didnt know if u were on.
    Love the zags for life

Proved to be the top team in the west!

Jim Meehan
    @SRJimm
    ·
    31m
    Jeremy Pargo and Zach Collins here for the game. Just walked into GU’s locker room.

Huge comeback by the Zags and then nearly folded. Down 9 and then up by 15 only to win by 4. We played well but there was a bone head move in the last minute. . Defense was good enough. Grateful Filip is coming along so well. Hope Tillie simply has an ankle turn and recovers. As it sits now, we have 3.5 good bigs ( I don't think Anton will contribute much.) and 4 very good guards who play with maturity.
    Top 4-5 this week and likely a no 1 seed bracket wise since 2 of the top 4 lost this week.
    Courageous team with good coaching. This is a huge win beating a ranked team on their court. Considering 12 games are gone, there's plenty of time to develop this team further. Beating UNC would be a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Reborn we have one my man. I waited for u to make it but i didnt know if u were on.
    No problem at all. I really enjoy sharing this with you. My post is just as good in the middle of the first page. It takes me longer to post a thread after the game because I tend to do a game analysis...It's good to get one up fast like you do so others can get on board quickly. So don't worry about my friend. We're on the same team.

Go Zags!!!

Fans have no idea how hard it is to win on the road....just saying

I am so impressed with the game and the guys.

I don't take a lot away from the last minute. AZ hit some circus shots that weren't all that contested bc don't want to foul. They played like they were up 14 - which they were - and that's fine. Hit a few FTs and it's an 8 point win. I just don't care about it.

They beat AZ by double digits in my mind, and that is just so impressive.

Even in the beginning when getting beat it was easy to see that the defensive effort was there. We just gave up too many rebounds and looked bad on flow on the offensive end. Once they turned it around, they never looked back.

This win will look very very good as the season goes on and AZ finds itself as a young team. Just like our Oregon victory looks so good now.

I said I'd be happy beyond belief if they won 2 out of 3 between UW - AZ - UNC and they're already there. Now they're confident and HOPEFULLY Tillie is just sore, but not hobbled. I think they give UNC all they can handle in a great game.

If this team gets through the OOC with 2 losses, that's a huge credit to Few and staff. Perhaps even getting through with one loss, and that sets up for top 3 seed.

Very impressed with the fight in our guys. It is not easy to go into a place like that, a big game for them, and win convincingly.

We win the PAC this year, 3-0, and not "just" 3-0, 3-0 against the best they got. Two on the road.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    No problem at all. I really enjoy sharing this with you. My post is just as good in the middle of the first page. It takes me longer to post a thread after the game because I tend to do a game analysis...It's good to get one up fast like you do so others can get on board quickly. So don't worry about my friend. We're on the same team.

Go Zags!!!
    Always. I used to make em way back but i loved how much you enjoyed making the thread. So i like you to shine us with the 1st thread. Loved this game.
    Love the zags for life

Fans have no idea how hard it is to win on the road....just saying
    Oh i fully agree.
    Love the zags for life

There is no excusing that finish.....I guess the good news is that they will remember it and the coaches will remind them and hopefully not have it happen again...

I also want to give a shout out to Timme, who played a great game, and as usual, he was as tough as nails on the inside. Arizona was really hurting us inside, and Petrusev picked up two fouls and then Tillie picked up two fouls; so Timme had to play a lot that first half and he did great. I believe he scored all of his 7 points in the first half when we really needed them. I really like his toughness.

Because of foul trouble for our bigs in this game Few had to go with 4 guards in the second half, if you count Kispert as a guard. He had Kispert, Ayayi, Gilder, and Woolridge in at the same time. Gilder also had to sub for Kispert and the small forward position which I'm sure he doesn't do much. He did a great job. A lot of us were really hoping Gilder would have a big game and he sure did.