Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gonzaga vs Arizona Post Game thoughts and analysis

From one of Arizona's forums;

Sure if he shot better you win if everything else is the same but saying you lost by 4 is sort of glossing over the last 90 seconds where Gonzaga tried to literally hand you the game. If you're a Gonzaga fan you're wondering how many more layups Petrusev is going to miss, the only one he made he got a T for doing a pullup on the rim. If you're a Gonzaga fan you're wondering how a team that experienced can go 17-30 on FT's including some front ends. You're wondering how an experienced guard decides it's a good idea to go in and shoot when you have the lead and should be playing out the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    There is no excusing that finish.....I guess the good news is that they will remember it and the coaches will remind them and hopefully not have it happen again...
    IMHO, that finish is one of the main reasons for these high level games in the OOC. As shown last night, good teams don't roll over at the end, no matter what the score. It's all about March (and April) for ZAG teams, and knowing how to close out a game is what the Dance is all about.

Great road win, lessons taught and learned, on to UNC.

Hope Tillie and Watson are OK..................

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by v13311 View Post

Sure if he shot better you win if everything else is the same but saying you lost by 4 is sort of glossing over the last 90 seconds where Gonzaga tried to literally hand you the game. If you're a Gonzaga fan you're wondering how many more layups Petrusev is going to miss, the only one he made he got a T for doing a pullup on the rim. If you're a Gonzaga fan you're wondering how a team that experienced can go 17-30 on FT's including some front ends. You're wondering how an experienced guard decides it's a good idea to go in and shoot when you have the lead and should be playing out the clock.
    Not really though. We had a 16 point lead on the road w/ 2 mins left. We did more than enough to win already - as proven by the scoreboard. Sure some other things were fluky like some of the shots they made. It’s whatever. Nobody will remember that but the diehards between the two fan bases. A W on the road is a W on the road in my book
    Qualified for 21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Default The Morning After

It's always nice to wake up in the morning after a brilliant victory over a team ranked in the top 15 in the polls, as well as them being in the pack 12 and perhaps our biggest rivalry. I love to just lay in my bed, awake, and thinking about the game. I honestly believed that last night was going to be one that would be very tough to win. And when LadyZag predicted a loss by our Zags, I got worried. When the boys started out slow, and looked bad and out of sync, I thought she just might be right. But then Kispert hit that 3 and it seemed to calm the boys down. There have been some very negative things said about Kispert here on GUBoards this year; so I was so happy to see what a great game he played. He truly has become the leader on this team.

I was very impressed with how efficient the offense was. It is truly a trademark of a Mark Few team. Our patience and execution (passing, screening) truly put us in command on the offensive end of the court. I can't say enough of what Gilder did for the team. His 3 point shooting definitely had a huge impact on the game, as well as his defense and rebounding. I've said this before, but I love how Ayayi and Woolridge run the offense. They are such different players, and both have their strengths, and together they really do a great job running the offense. Ayayi finished with 15 points, played really good D most of the time, and dished out 7 assists. He also hit a couple 3 pointers.

Outside of the last 3 minutes, I felt the Zags played great defense. I thought it was their best defensive game this year. Few and his assistance developed a really good plan on how to defend the Wildcats. I felt we contained their two star freshmen pretty well. There were some bad moments in the game and the Zags will learn from them. My biggest hope is that we improve our free throw shooting as a team. IMO, there is no excuse for the poor free throw shooting. In past years, free throw shooting has not always been all that good at the beginning of the year (I imagine that the coaches are focusing on other things), but had improved a lot over the year. I believe that can happen this year. The coaches and players just need to focus on how to improve this statistic.

That's about it. Looking forward to a huge game Wednesday.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Can’t argue w any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Zags defeated UA in Tucson...couldn’t be happier
    It's been a long wait for me too..

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

play by play was meh for me.
    ++1.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    So much to like in this game. Including beating Arizona which is our biggest rival to me personally.

But we’ve wilted against the press a few times now. Our performance against Oregon and now Arizona with a lead gets nothing but an F grade. We are 300th in the nation in free throw shooting and our decision making in these situations has been horrible. Even if you give the guys a pass for a few possessions due to the score and situation (which is something the 2017 squad didn’t do, let up), it quickly got tight and the poor decisions kept happening. We weren’t up 16 when our point guard drove to the hoop instead of pulling it out and running clock. We were in double bonus and there was zero reason to draw a foul at the rim in that situation.

But earlier there was a sequence by RW on defense that was insanely entertaining and shows how tough he is. Kispert playing PF and fighting guys inside on defense is hard to do but he did it. And to make that in game adjustment was awesome by the staff. A lot to love, but there is a blue print to beating us. Someone will press us and put us on the line and we have been bad in that situation this season.
    That defensive sequence was awesome to watch. The Zags had to battle and dig in to stop a very determined Wildcat attack. Our defensive work prevented good rebound positioning, so they dug in again and got the stop.

That was nothing but hustle and determination. That type of work is what can keep Kispert on the floor.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

The wife was worried about how the game started, with obvious reasons. But I pointed out that Arizona was looking like they just had an adrenaline shot before the game like so many teams do against us....and Duke for that matter. But teams running on pure adrenaline run out of gas quickly. With just under 8 minutes til half, Arizona started to look pooped and the ZAGS came back to take the lead and never give it back.
    The ability of the ZAGS year after year to not run on pure adrenaline but rather weather the storm with good defense and solid offense is in my opinion why many call the ZAGS the Duke of the west coast. And also the reason why an experienced ZAGS team last year was able to beat a young Duke team in Maui who hadn't learned to control their adrenaline yet that early in their career.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    The wife was worried about how the game started, with obvious reasons. But I pointed out that Arizona was looking like they just had an adrenaline shot before the game like so many teams do against us....and Duke for that matter. But teams running on pure adrenaline run out of gas quickly. With just under 8 minutes til half, Arizona started to look pooped and the ZAGS came back to take the lead and never give it back.
    The ability of the ZAGS year after year to not run on pure adrenaline but rather weather the storm with good defense and solid offense is in my opinion why many call the ZAGS the Duke of the west coast. And also the reason why an experienced ZAGS team last year was able to beat a young Duke team in Maui who hadn't learned to control their adrenaline yet that early in their career.

None of this Duke of the west krap, all due respect. Zags are a one off phenomenon. Top 10, edging into a top 5 CBB program. Yes, hard to fathom. But it’s the emes.

just rewatching, interesting thing with the double team was how ineffective it was in the first half, more random imo; Timme getting lost in the screen/roll wash, Ryan overhelping leaving Mannion to drive (happened once), giving up an O board putback with missed box out, more. the double team worked at around the 2:30 mark first half as Mannion missed an open top of the key 3 and better after that on Nnjani

until then, the M2M and digging hard was what dug the Zags out on D, and did it well to start the second half too, funneling the tough 2s to the rim

going zone around the 15 minute mark was awesome by Few, fueled the 12-0 run; allowed them to get out of the M2M and the screen/roll which was starting to work for AZ

a general observation, the hedge/recover bigs had more trouble when the ball went back to the big, not when Mannion/dribbler held onto it and did whatever

another note: after Miller's timeout at 12:24 to address the Zag zone, Few responded by going back to M2M, gave up 2 baskets at the rim, one off the screen/roll, forcing Few to call timeout at 11:32 and adjust back, back to the zone tho Hazzard hit a 3. then right back to M2M w/ Ryan on Mannion

final thought: on the last 2 minutes, it all started with a Zag possession where they stood around and just ran clock and Joel had to jack, then gave up a transition 3, then a couple of trunovers, another 3, then the pressure mounts, missed FTs, Mannion hits a 3, Ryan drives to the rim...scrunchy. hitting those FTs after that was big time onions after all of that mess, even fading away on the second one!

can never pull off the gas pedal, I agree with all making that point big time. all started there imo

what a ride!! again

How freaking great is The Bonus?

+1 Zagdawg

IS GILDER GETTING THERE?
    Besides, Admon's 4-dinger shots, I watched him closely on my DVR replay. His play last night was, I believe, overall, the best of the season especially against top competition. I still wish for Joel to start but imagine how much stronger Zags will be with a talented guard like Gilder coming off the bench for likely 20 minutes a game. Wow he looked good.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    How freaking great is The Bonus?
    Livin' the dream!! Man he was tough as nails for us in the short time he was here.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
    IS GILDER GETTING THERE?
    Besides, Admon's 4-dinger shots, I watched him closely on my DVR replay. His play last night was, I believe, overall, the best of the season especially against top competition. I still wish for Joel to start but imagine how much stronger Zags will be with a talented guard like Gilder coming off the bench for likely 20 minutes a game. Wow he looked good.
    What Gilder brings is experience. A couple times when the shot clock was under 10 he didn't panic or rush. Made a perfect pass withess than 5 to go for a score. He's only going to get better as long as he stays healthy as the season rolls on

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post

Zeke Nnaji for Arizona isn't the most polished player but his motor is off the charts. His energy and "want to" really shows up on the offensive glass. Super impressed with him.
    showing shades of sabonis...i know jazz would be impressed. wish he was a zag...few would find a way to unleash him that miller was unable to do. the guy has a rui-like midrange game that zona doesn't know how to utilize.

For 38 1/2 minutes the Zags were really good, worthy of a top 5 ranking....and then!!!!!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Great discussion of the game with Gary Parrish & Matt Norlander:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/cbs...?autoplay=true

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    For 38 1/2 minutes the Zags were really good, worthy of a top 5 ranking....and then!!!!!
    Any reason why Few didn't call a timeout? I remember having some left. Am I mistaken?

That was his 3rd dunk of the game. Good to see him doing that against teams with athletic bigs. He also blocked 4 of Arizona's layup attempts and altered a bunch more. I have no problem whatsoever with Petro's game. He more than held his own.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Any reason why Few didn't call a timeout? I remember having some left. Am I mistaken?
    Had one. He used two to stop Arizona runs

So either take it and hope your young team won’t need a critical one in last 1:38 or settle them down verbally and hold it for critical need ( possession issue for example)
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few