Thread: Mannion

Default Mannion

What the hell was that? He's supposed to be a lottery pick? Woolridge welded the lid shut on the basket for him!

Woolridge locked him up.
    Love the zags for life

ESPN Analysts were crowning him as the best player on the floor before the game....not so fast.

Few had a week to prepare for their best player. And... has the athletes to handle him. Great job coaching by Few (as usual).

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Woolridge locked him up.
    Woolridge’s quickness’s/speed made the difference AND that Mannion is a Freshman playing against a very focused Senior

Woolridge is one if the toughest players to ever wear a GU jersey.

The kid has screws in his kneecap, dealing with constant soreness, every hit, cut, fall, etc re aggravates the pain.

Talk about gutting it out, playing through it, and risking it all game in game out.

Can barely trust his one leg and just balling out.

All he says, "just doing whatever I can to help the team".

Not to mention, he played in 4 games last season with a fractured kneecap, before surgery was done.

Amazing. True BULLDOG at heart.

We slapped him around like the red-headed stepchild that he is. Maybe he should dye his hair brown?

Woolridge played tough.....but Mannion missed a lot of open shots and even some easy bunnies.....one of those nights.

He did have 10 assists.

He is a freshman and perhaps the moment was to much....that other freshman guard....Josh Green..... looks like a pro...

When the ball isn't dropping a player will look bad. To me, I recall several 3's that were in and out. I thought he looked like a real player who had a bad night shooting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The face you make when you shoot 3-20 against the Zags and your name is Nico Mannion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    When the ball isn't dropping a player will look bad. To me, I recall several 3's that were in and out. I thought he looked like a real player who had a bad night shooting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This. He’s a freshman who had a bad shooting night. He will be in the nba next year.

Terrific player. Kept his cool. Kept dishing. I’d take him. No antics.

It seemed to me that he had quite a few that were literally "half way down". It just wasn't his night. I didn't think he tried to do too much out of the normal flow of their offense. And he played hard all the way to the final buzzer. Appears to be a great kid on and off of the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    It seemed to me that he had quite a few that were literally "half way down". It just wasn't his night. I didn't think he tried to do too much out of the normal flow of their offense. And he played hard all the way to the final buzzer. Appears to be a great kid on and off of the floor.
    Amen.

Stroke looked good, never panicked, stayed confident and Wolly did a nice job on him. He had a night where the ball wouldn't stay down, happens to all from time to time. He had some open looks that he didn't knock down, we were fortunate.

i've seen enough of this kid to know that even with the great d of woolridge, zags got the benefit of a bad night...he's actually been struggling for the past few games, so something might be slightly off...i've heard mention of back spasms. would be a great zag...fits perfect in few's system. if zags were in the pac, few would have more access to guys like this...fingers crossed on suggs.

I completely disagree that Woolridge “locked him up”

He missed open shots. He missed multiple layups after blowing right by Woolridge.

Not saying his quickness didn’t play a factor and what not, but def wasn’t “locked down D”

Quote Originally Posted by uZiGiZaG View Post
    I completely disagree that Woolridge “locked him up”

He missed open shots. He missed multiple layups after blowing right by Woolridge.

Not saying his quickness didn’t play a factor and what not, but def wasn’t “locked down D”
    True.

I think Woolrdige made him uncomfortable the entire time he was on the court and guarding Mannion...seemed to me he was rushing his shots just a little AND the fact that this was the very best team UA played this season, with mind you - experienced guards playing against him all game...IMO

In the he was 6-0 A/TO and in the second half he was 4-3 ATO...our defence effected his entire game...he made two extremely tough layups and one, very late in the game, 3pt shot in transition...

I watched the Pepperdine game and he did look better against them but that game was won on the boards, where Nijani once again controlled the boards...Mannion had 11-5 ATO and took 12 shots for 12pts...

He has skills but one of the "BEST" PGs in the country???

Peyton Prichard was also anointed as “The best point guard in the country” by announcers in the Oregon Michigan game.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Mannion looks like a solid player but I really have no idea what makes someone a sure fire NBA lottery pick as a point guard. Of all the positions, I would want more than high school to evaluate the more subjective stuff, like leadership and decision-making. For example, what if someone like Mannion (not Mannion per se) has great measurables but makes terrible decisions when the pressure is on against other really good players?

I can see why some players shoot up the draft board in March with a good performance for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Mannion looks like a solid player but I really have no idea what makes someone a sure fire NBA lottery pick as a point guard. Of all the positions, I would want more than high school to evaluate the more subjective stuff, like leadership and decision-making. For example, what if someone like Mannion (not Mannion per se) has great measurables but makes terrible decisions when the pressure is on against other really good players?

I can see why some players shoot up the draft board in March with a good performance for that reason.
    Nico has most of those intangibles and is an amazing decision maker and passer. His biggest problems heading into the league offensively are that he can't finish at the rim and he can't hit jump shots off the dribble. He has a great floater, and missed some wide open catch and shoot threes against us that he normally would hit, but Ryan was trying to force him off the three point line and our big would drop with Zeke towards the rim, forcing him to take some off the dribble jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I think Woolrdige made him uncomfortable the entire time he was on the court and guarding Mannion...seemed to me he was rushing his shots just a little AND the fact that this was the very best team UA played this season, with mind you - experienced guards playing against him all game...IMO

In the he was 6-0 A/TO and in the second half he was 4-3 ATO...our defence effected his entire game...he made two extremely tough layups and one, very late in the game, 3pt shot in transition...
    I agree. It wasn't luck or the basketball gods that caused him to miss. It was his confidence and mental approach. Woolridge affected that which contributed to a poor shooting game.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time