Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Game Media for Arizona game

Default Pre-Game Media for Arizona game

Starting early this week, but the Spokesman had an article tonight that I wanted to share.

West’s best? Gonzaga has had upper hand lately in Arizona series but is winless in Tucson

Gonzaga and Arizona have battled for Western basketball supremacy all over the West.

They’ve met nine times in eight locales: Tucson, Arizona, (twice), Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Seattle, San Diego, Spokane, Los Angeles and Maui, Hawaii.

The Bulldogs have won the last two matchups after the Wildcats claimed six of the first seven. For the sixth-ranked Zags to build on their recent success, they’ll have to find a way to win inside the McKale Center on Saturday after dropping thrillers on two previous visits.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

If you watched Az tonight, this game has his weekend is going to be a very tough one. Winnable yes but tough out at their place. Defense wins! Our bigs will be tested.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2019...ks-predictions

A few predictions here w/ this on Arizona/Zags:

No. 6 Gonzaga at No. 15 Arizona (Sat., 10 p.m., ESPN2)
    Max Meyer picks Gonzaga: Gonzaga is in the midst of a brutal three-game stretch, as the Bulldogs beat Washington in Seattle on Sunday and host North Carolina next Wednesday. This weekend, though, they square off in a clash of the West Coast’s two premiere programs this decade. Arizona has an exciting freshmen triumvirate of Nico Mannion, Josh Green and Zeke Nnaji, but the young Wildcats have played in some close games of late, most recently a five-point loss to Baylor in which they trailed by 11 at the half. Gonzaga’s only loss this season came in the Battle 4 Atlantis championship, when it looked drained against Michigan following an overtime war vs. Oregon. Sophomore guard Joel Ayayi’s emergence has made the Zags even more dangerous, and I think this group can pick up another big road win.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2019...ks-predictions

A few predictions here w/ this on Arizona/Zags:
    I think the top programs on the coast are GU, AZ, Oregon and UDub...If UDub get's it act together, they will be a S16 team...just too much strength inside to not dominate the P12 at home anyway...IMO to beat UA, we have to limit second chance opportunities, which is how AZ beat Pepperdine...they just crashed the offencive glass...

I think this is the year we win in Tuscon

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.azd...preview-miller

Rebounding is key .....
    Here’s a bit - more at the link:

......there is really only one thing to take away from Wednesday’s win over Nebraska-Omaha: the Wildcats need to rebound better. Despite winning by 50, Arizona owned a 47-33 rebounding margin. That doesn’t seem that bad until you dig a little deeper and see they were outrebounded 14-12 on the offensive glass, which resulted in 11 second-chance points for the Mavericks.
    It’s not an anomaly.
    The Wildcats rank 113th in the country in offensive rebounding percentage and 155th in defensive rebounding percentage. Both marks are around the nation’s average, even though Arizona has had a pretty weak schedule so far.

Arizona men's basketball hosts Gonzaga for biggest game of season so far

https://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/arti...aga-basketball

By Jack Cooper
    Published Dec 9, 2019 8:01pm
    Updated Dec 9, 2019 8:11pm

For the first time since 2017 there will be a top-25 matchup at the McKale Center. No. 13 Arizona men’s basketball hosts No. 6 Gonzaga this Saturday at 8 p.m.

While Arizona has some business to take care of on Wednesday against Omaha, Gonzaga will come into the game with only one loss and is coming off a big win at No. 22 Washington. Washington isn’t the only Pac-12 team that Gonzaga has beat, though.

At the end of November, the Bulldogs played in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, which featured teams such as Oregon, Michigan and North Carolina. Gonzaga took down Oregon in overtime before falling to Michigan by 18 in the championship.

Arizona is coming off its first loss of the season at No. 18 Baylor in a game where they shot 27% and made only two three-pointers.
    More at the link above .....

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Arizona men's basketball hosts Gonzaga for biggest game of season so far

https://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/arti...aga-basketball

More at the link above .....
    Interesting final paragraph from this article....I disagree with the author's point:

The game will be sold out and Arizona fans will be loud as always. Since students are still in town because of finals, the ZonaZoo should be packed, making it the toughest environment Gonzaga will play in all year. While Gonzaga has more experience and has played tougher teams this season, the McKale Center is the great equalizer that this young Arizona team will need to stay in the game throughout and possibly pull out an upset.
    Zags played possibly their best game of the season @ UW, which had by all accounts a very impressive, loud hostile crowd. I believe another quality opponent on the road is just what this Gonzaga team needs right now. I hope Anton Watson's injury has continued to heal rapidly. Lots of hype surrounding recent opponents' superstar freshmen players, yet lest we forget Watson belongs right up there in same conversation of best freshmen in the country.....his invitation to USA team camps for his age group and making squads right up to the final cut suggests so anyway. A timely breakout performance vs AZ will prove this to be true.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I didn’t occur to me that UA relies on 3 freshmen. Even at home, beating a good Zag team will be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Interesting final paragraph from this article....I disagree with the author's point:
    So you're saying @UW was the toughest environment Gonzaga will play in all year instead?

I agree that the UW crowd was better than usual, but I'll give the nod to the Wildcats fanbase and their roars of "U of A" over a crowd that needs to be given directions on how to cheer before the game any day.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post

Zags played possibly their best game of the season @ UW, which had by all accounts a very impressive, loud hostile crowd. I believe another quality opponent on the road is just what this Gonzaga team needs right now. I hope Anton Watson's injury has continued to heal rapidly. Lots of hype surrounding recent opponents' superstar freshmen players, yet lest we forget Watson belongs right up there in same conversation of best freshmen in the country.....his invitation to USA team camps for his age group and making squads right up to the final cut suggests so anyway. A timely breakout performance vs AZ will prove this to be true.
    I'm not sure the game at UW was more hostile than the upcoming game at McKale will likely be.. I was at the game Sunday, and although the Huskies outnumbered Zags significantly, there were still a significant amount of GU fans in attendance. I doubt that will be the same on Saturday. The key will be to take the crowd out of the game early...

GO ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I didn’t occur to me that UA relies on 3 freshmen. Even at home, beating a good Zag team will be tough.
    Don't we rely on a few freshmen in rotation?

Not starters though, think our experience should do the trick...just need to block out

We matchup well with Arizona.

A healthy Watson would help tremendously vs their length inside.

Zona is UW, with better/smarter guards.

It will take a heck of an effort, as Arizona is balanced, big, and have elite 5* talent up at every position except one.

Arizona has qty 3 players projected to be in the top 14 picks of this years draft (Washington has 2 in the top 9).

247Sports' first Big Board for the 2020 NBA Draft

NO. 8 | NICO MANNION, PG, ARIZONA
    "Mannion has walked right into college basketball and shown his unique combination of skill and basketball IQ that established him as an elite prospect early in high school. While he has just so-so size and physical tools for the position and there will always be skepticism of his ultimate upside that comes with that reality, Mannion’s offensive repertoire as both a scorer and facilitator can’t be denied. His floater package is elite for the position, while he has range to the perimeter with his jumper and is a creative finisher at the rim. Defensively what Mannion gives up in quickness he often makes up for in basketball IQ and effort. It’s fair to say a month into the season, he’s backed up his considerable hype."

No. 13 | Zeke Nnaji, PF, Arizona

247Sports Composite: No. 40 in 2019

Nnaji has been one of the biggest stock risers of the freshman class and even though he has somewhat come down to earth after a dominant start to the season, there is a lot to like about him as a prospect. He has terrific hands and feet, soft touch as a low post scorer, excellent efficiency as a midrange shooter, the stroke to eventually expand his range to the perimeter, a respectable feel as a rebounder and an improving motor. There is plenty of room for Nnaji to grow into his relatively still physically immature frame and he should only improve athletically and production wise as he gets stronger.

No. 14 Josh Green, SG, Arizona

247Sports Composite: No. 13 in 2019

Green has one of the safest floors in this draft class given his size, length, athleticism and floor as a 3-and-D guy. He has exceptional lateral quickness which, combined with his long arms and strong frame, make him a big time defensive prospect. He has a terrific feel and is an outstanding out of area rebounder. Green has long had the ability to hit threes off the catch and that remains a staple of his game, while he is electric in transition due to his explosive athleticism. Improving his ability to shoot/score off the dribble in the halfcourt will play a big role in Green hitting his ceiling, but the rest of the ways he impacts the game make him a pretty safe bet regardless.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...0/#140299920_8

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Arizona has qty 3 players projected to be in the top 14 picks of this years draft (Washington has 2 in the top 9).

247Sports' first Big Board for the 2020 NBA Draft

NO. 8 | NICO MANNION, PG, ARIZONA
    "Mannion has walked right into college basketball and shown his unique combination of skill and basketball IQ that established him as an elite prospect early in high school. While he has just so-so size and physical tools for the position and there will always be skepticism of his ultimate upside that comes with that reality, Mannion’s offensive repertoire as both a scorer and facilitator can’t be denied. His floater package is elite for the position, while he has range to the perimeter with his jumper and is a creative finisher at the rim. Defensively what Mannion gives up in quickness he often makes up for in basketball IQ and effort. It’s fair to say a month into the season, he’s backed up his considerable hype."

No. 13 | Zeke Nnaji, PF, Arizona

247Sports Composite: No. 40 in 2019

Nnaji has been one of the biggest stock risers of the freshman class and even though he has somewhat come down to earth after a dominant start to the season, there is a lot to like about him as a prospect. He has terrific hands and feet, soft touch as a low post scorer, excellent efficiency as a midrange shooter, the stroke to eventually expand his range to the perimeter, a respectable feel as a rebounder and an improving motor. There is plenty of room for Nnaji to grow into his relatively still physically immature frame and he should only improve athletically and production wise as he gets stronger.

No. 14 Josh Green, SG, Arizona

247Sports Composite: No. 13 in 2019

Green has one of the safest floors in this draft class given his size, length, athleticism and floor as a 3-and-D guy. He has exceptional lateral quickness which, combined with his long arms and strong frame, make him a big time defensive prospect. He has a terrific feel and is an outstanding out of area rebounder. Green has long had the ability to hit threes off the catch and that remains a staple of his game, while he is electric in transition due to his explosive athleticism. Improving his ability to shoot/score off the dribble in the halfcourt will play a big role in Green hitting his ceiling, but the rest of the ways he impacts the game make him a pretty safe bet regardless.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...0/#140299920_8
    ESPN's take on AZ players (Top 25 players after one month)

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...2019-20-season

14. Zeke Nnaji, Arizona Wildcats

Purely in terms of volume combined with accuracy, Nnaji ranks alongside the likes of Udoka Azubuike and Obi Toppin for "best 2-point scorer of the season so far" honors. More specifically, the Arizona freshman is the master of the 2-point jumper. That particular part of the game is supposed to be dying and perhaps it should be dying, but as long as it's Nnaji pulling the trigger, it might not be such a bad shot selection after all. Sean Miller's star has converted a rather incredible 63% of his 2-point jumper attempts to this point in the season.

21. Nico Mannion, Arizona Wildcats

Arizona's highly touted freshman has more than lived up to his billing, scoring 21 points to go along with nine assists against Illinois in the second game of his career and then topping that with both a 16/11 points/assists double-double and the game-winning shot in the Wildcats' 93-91 victory over Pepperdine. Mannion fairly exudes calm mastery at the point guard slot, and while he's given the ball away five times in a game on two occasions, his highlight-reel passing and highly accurate shooting (from both the field and the line) translate into an impeccable offensive rating and, more importantly, points on the board for UA.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Don't we rely on a few freshmen in rotation?
    Their freshmen lead their team in every major category. One of their freshman is their point guard.

Watson is hurt and may not play much this game. Timme comes off of the bench.

You can draw your own conclusions from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post

Zona is UW, with better/smarter guards.
    Except for the completely different coaching approach, style of offense, defensive scheme, and UW being 50th (Zona 12th) on Kenpom.

Quade Green, the 5* UK transfer now with UW, was quite effective vs the zags.

Gonzaga expert previews Arizona game, makes a score prediction

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/platfo...tchup-rankings

Interesting ‘interview’ of Peter Woodburn, managing editor of SlipperStillFits.com, the Gonzaga SB Nation site. Below is Woodburn’s last remark. Lots of food for thought above this at the link.

AZDS: Score prediction?

PW: If this is in Spokane, I give it to Gonzaga. But since it isn’t, I have to hand it to Arizona for this game. The Zags showed poise playing in Seattle against the Huskies, but that game also was chock-full of Gonzaga fans. The Spokane faithful travel well, so I’m sure there will be a contingent in Tucson, but this is going to be the most real road environment the Zags have played in this season. I think the teams should keep it pretty close, but I feel that Arizona is going to squeak this one out in the end: 84-80.

Beat writers for AZ and GU combine in this preview of Saturday's match-up, from The Athletic

https://theathletic.com/1453042/2019...-has-the-edge/

An excerpt--

The Wildcats have had a lot of bright spots defensively this season. But when they’ve struggled, they’ve done so in two specific areas: defending the 3-point line and rebounding, because every solid defensive possession has to be finished with a strong rebound. Gonzaga has a prolific 3-point shooter in Kispert. We all know what kind of damage he can do from beyond the arc, and the Bulldogs shoot 38.3 percent from 3-point range, which isn’t too shabby. Gonzaga was also tied for 18th in the country entering Wednesday with 136 offensive rebounds, an average of 12.4 per game. That’s how Gonzaga can escape Tucson with a win on Saturday.

If guys such as Kispert get going from deep, and if the Bulldogs are relentless on the offensive glass and pile up second-chance points, I don’t think the Wildcats have a prayer. But as we discussed, the game will be played at Arizona. If the Wildcats catch fire offensively, they’re an extremely tough team to beat. One way Gonzaga can limit that offensive production is by making Mannion uncomfortable. It all starts with him. Baylor’s guards gave Mannion tons of problems last weekend, limiting him to just 3-of-14 shooting.

At The Athletic I feel this is key to a Zags win ....
    Frank: I lean toward Gonzaga in a tight, riveting contest. Watson and Gilder will have enjoyed a few more days off to approach full strength, which should help balance out some of the minutes load others have endured.
    Basically, that it’s going to take the whole team contributing to the effort. I don’t feel Arizona can defend all of the Zags well. If they’re successful at defending Filip they may lack at defending Watson and/or Timme. The Zags are getting better at teamwork and passing. Any double teams by UA could lead to easy baskets by another Zag. I like our depth

“When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Gonzaga expert predicts AZ by 4 points,
    KenPom predicts AZ by 3 points,
    as I mentioned in another thread,
    Las Vegas (presently) picks GU by 3 points, I always feel better when vegas is with us on the win
    https://www.vegasinsider.com/college...m/team/gonzaga

Go zags...your reading that wrong.....Vegas has Arizona winning by 3 points...in a relatively low scoring game...… I think it is great that Miller is willing to play Gonzaga as he is supposed to win and has little to gain from it....I understand that he and Few are friends and they use Gonzaga's facilities when they are in town on their way to WSU....

Fran Fraschilla
    @franfraschilla
    ·
    2h
    Big one today In Tucson between
    @APlayersProgram
    &
    @ZagMBB
    on
    @ESPN
    2 at 10 EST. Who’s been “Best in the West” the last decade?
    Here’s my five:
    1. Gonzaga
    2. Arizona
    3. Oregon
    4. Saint Mary’s
    5. San Diego State

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Go zags...your reading that wrong.....Vegas has Arizona winning by 3 points...in a relatively low scoring game...… I think it is great that Miller is willing to play Gonzaga as he is supposed to win and has little to gain from it....I understand that he and Few are friends and they use Gonzaga's facilities when they are in town on their way to WSU....
    thanks for correction bartruff