Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Power 6 this decade

Default Gonzaga vs Power 6 this decade

With 2 games remaining some of this can change. We still have to settle scores with Zona this week and UNC next week but wanted to share what I came up with in my research.

Gonzaga vs Power 6 (ACC, Big Ten, Big East, Big 12, SEC and the Pac 12)

I had to double check conference affiliations on Butler, UCONN and Xavier at time of our games and most if not all I cannot remember all had to go back to non power 5 but that’s okay.) EDIT: 2017 Xavier was Big east and was already calculated for this as well. That game is under the Big east record

I came up with an overall record of 58-25 which is a 69.8% WIN PCT.

Breakdown by conference

17-5 Pac12: 77.2% WIN PCT
    14-3 v Big 12: 82.3%WIN PCT
    8-2 vs Big East 80% WIN PCT
    6-6 vs Big 10 50% WIN PCT
    5-6 vs ACC 45.4% WIN PCT
    8-3 vs SEC 73.7% WIN PCT

Cheers

Last edited by gonzagafan62; 12-11-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

That's amazing.

It's probably worth noting that our average power-6 opponent was probably better than the average power-6 team, since selection bias tended to have us playing these games in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounds of elite tournaments.

Right,and even more so OOC? For instance, this year we play the top 3 teams in the PAC12, but no one else in the conference.

Thanks for sharing!

Not bad Zags, not bad at all.

And just think, if we were invited into one of those conferences the level of skill of our recruits would surely skyrocket.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

A few other notes: We do not have a losing record against the Power 6 in ANY YEAR. Not one. In fact we don’t even have one that ended at .500 either. Always 1 game over

One other interesting note is that 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016 (which is half the decade) we were a 7 seed or lower in the NCAA tournament and still put up these numbers. The numbers for 2017 is 9-1 vs Power 6, 7-1 in 2013 And 8-3 in 2019 just for curiosities of what we looked like when we were a #1 seed.

Anyway, thanks for reading guys. As I said in the other thread I was extremely bored this week. If you wanna know a particular year you can ask below or you can just look it up yourself I guess. But I got year by year on literally everything
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    With 2 games remaining some of this can change. We still have to settle scores with Zona this week and UNC next week but wanted to share what I came up with in my research.

Gonzaga vs Power 6 (ACC, Big Ten, Big East, Big 12, SEC and the Pac 12)

I had to double check conference affiliations on Butler, UCONN and Xavier at time of our games and most if not all I cannot remember all had to go back to non power 5 but that’s okay.) EDIT: 2017 Xavier was Big east and was already calculated for this as well. That game is under the Big east record

I came up with an overall record of 58-25 which is a 69.8% WIN PCT.

Breakdown by conference

17-5 Pac12: 77.2% WIN PCT
    14-3 v Big 12: 82.3%WIN PCT
    8-2 vs Big East 80% WIN PCT
    6-6 vs Big 10 50% WIN PCT
    5-6 vs ACC 45.4% WIN PCT
    8-3 vs SEC 73.7% WIN PCT

Cheers

Brilliant work, 62; and brilliant results. This should be seriously shared with the SID and even the dummies on the local broadcast. Send to Jackass Dykes as well....And to L's point, these tended to be upper tier P6 teams as well......no Cals or Oregon States or Minnesoters.

That is really cool...I was thinking of trying to do something similar to this. Thought of making a list of the P6 teams and seeing who we have beat so far and who we either have not been able to beat yet/ or have not played yet. Be like a list of who still needs to go down.

Great legwork 62. Thank you!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Brilliant work, 62; and brilliant results. This should be seriously shared with the SID and even the dummies on the local broadcast. Send to Jackass Dykes as well....And to L's point, these tended to be upper tier P6 teams as well......no Cals or Oregon States or Minnesoters.

Must have missed something Jazz. What's your beef with Jimmy Dykes? Find him to be a knowledgeable analyst & he certainly has given the Zag's plenty of props over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    he certainly has given the Zag's plenty of props over the years.
    You may have missed the Oregon game.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Must have missed something Jazz. What's your beef with Jimmy Dykes? Find him to be a knowledgeable analyst & he certainly has given the Zag's plenty of props over the years.
    He he did the Oregon game and he was effusive even obnoxious in his praise of the Ducks particularly the point guard Pritchard. Called him the best point guard in the country which is ridiculous. At one point a few years ago Dykes was a big Gonzaga fan but I don’t sense that he is anymore.

He he did the Oregon game and he was effusive even obnoxious in his praise of the Ducks particularly the point guard Pritchard. Called him the best point guard in the country which is ridiculous. At one point a few years ago Dykes was a big Gonzaga fan but I don’t sense that he is anymore.
    I think that's because Coach Few won't take him Fly Fishing...

Thanks 62 for compiling and sharing.

Go Zags!!!!

Yeah, I caught the Oregon game. Guess I didn't get the same vibe you & GZ got.

I think I’m also going to do the 90s and the 00s decades as well guys...It’ll give me something to do and we can see the growth of the program together if that’s fine with y’all. This was fun to do

Edit: I’ll just post them here
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Great stuff 62, thanks for sharing. Your research lends credence to the "Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere" mentality of all the ZAG teams.

2-0 in the next week+ and it looks even better. The fact that the guys have never had a losing record (or even 50/50) against the P6 in any year is incredible.

Those year by year numbers would look great on a T-shirt in this year's Dance.

Go ZAGS

I heartily agree on the good stuff research. I know it took a while to pull this together. Thanks!

I think I’m also going to do the 90s and the 00s decades as well guys...It’ll give me something to do and we can see the growth of the program together if that’s fine with y’all. This was fun to do

Edit: I’ll just post them here
    If you happen to spreadsheet this, would be really interested in seeing that. Also, I would definitely be interested in seeing the KenPom numbers on the Power 6 conference teams we've played.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    If you happen to spreadsheet this, would be really interested in seeing that. Also, I would definitely be interested in seeing the KenPom numbers on the Power 6 conference teams we've played.
    KenPom only goes back to 2002, but I can surely do that as well
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

KenPom only goes back to 2002, but I can surely do that as well
    Be prepared for the numbers to skew down a bit. Those were your father’s Zags, 62.

Be prepared for the numbers to skew down a bit. Those were your father’s Zags, 62.
    I had done a lot of that a few years ago .... outlining
    Wins and Losses team by team. That was a couple laptops ago so might have trouble finding it. I DO recall that despite winning about 70 percent of the games, less than 10 percent of the games were played in the Kennel or K2.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

This page is a gold mine: Head to head for every GU opponent since 1949-50

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...d-to-head.html

All your questions answered.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I had done a lot of that a few years ago .... outlining
    Wins and Losses team by team. That was a couple laptops ago so might have trouble finding it. I DO recall that despite winning about 70 percent of the games, less than 10 percent of the games were played in the Kennel or K2.
    Another excellent point. Zags record vs Power 6 compiled almost entirely on neutral or away sites.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Simple fix Jazz. Thanks for the advice
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Decade 2000-2009

40-29 VS POWER 6
    Overall WIN PCT: 57.9% WIN PCT

3- 2 vs Big East 60% WIN PCT
    3-6 vs Big 10 33.3% WIN PCT
    9-3 vs ACC 75% WIN PCT
    14-9 vs PAC10 60% WIN PCT
    4-5 vs SEC 44% WIN PCT
    7-4 vs Big 12 63.6% WIN PCT

Next I will do the 99 calander and do an overall Mark Few Era total. Cheers! (Then the 90s decade as promised then an overall of that as well)
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR