• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonzagafan62
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

Gonzaga vs Power 6 this decade

With 2 games remaining some of this can change. We still have to settle scores with Zona this week and UNC next week but wanted to share what I came up with in my research.

Gonzaga vs Power 6 (ACC, Big Ten, Big East, Big 12, SEC and the Pac 12)

I had to double check conference affiliations on Butler, UCONN and Xavier at time of our games and most if not all I cannot remember all had to go back to non power 5 but that’s okay.) EDIT: 2017 Xavier was Big east and was already calculated for this as well. That game is under the Big east record

I came up with an overall record of 58-25 which is a 69.8% WIN PCT.

Breakdown by conference

17-5 Pac12: 77.2% WIN PCT
    14-3 v Big 12: 82.3%WIN PCT
    8-2 vs Big East 80% WIN PCT
    6-6 vs Big 10 50% WIN PCT
    5-6 vs ACC 45.4% WIN PCT
    8-3 vs SEC 73.7% WIN PCT

Cheers

Last edited by gonzagafan62; 12-11-2019, 10:08 AM.
    Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.
  • LTownZag
    Banned
    • Mar 2017

That's amazing.

It's probably worth noting that our average power-6 opponent was probably better than the average power-6 team, since selection bias tended to have us playing these games in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounds of elite tournaments.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2010

Right,and even more so OOC? For instance, this year we play the top 3 teams in the PAC12, but no one else in the conference.

Comment

• hockeyzag
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Jul 2007

Thanks for sharing!

Not bad Zags, not bad at all.

And just think, if we were invited into one of those conferences the level of skill of our recruits would surely skyrocket.
        "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
        -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

A few other notes: We do not have a losing record against the Power 6 in ANY YEAR. Not one. In fact we don’t even have one that ended at .500 either. Always 1 game over

One other interesting note is that 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016 (which is half the decade) we were a 7 seed or lower in the NCAA tournament and still put up these numbers. The numbers for 2017 is 9-1 vs Power 6, 7-1 in 2013 And 8-3 in 2019 just for curiosities of what we looked like when we were a #1 seed.

Anyway, thanks for reading guys. As I said in the other thread I was extremely bored this week. If you wanna know a particular year you can ask below or you can just look it up yourself I guess. But I got year by year on literally everything

15 Straight Round of 32s

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
            With 2 games remaining some of this can change. We still have to settle scores with Zona this week and UNC next week but wanted to share what I came up with in my research.

Gonzaga vs Power 6 (ACC, Big Ten, Big East, Big 12, SEC and the Pac 12)

I had to double check conference affiliations on Butler, UCONN and Xavier at time of our games and most if not all I cannot remember all had to go back to non power 5 but that’s okay.) EDIT: 2017 Xavier was Big east and was already calculated for this as well. That game is under the Big east record

I came up with an overall record of 58-25 which is a 69.8% WIN PCT.

Breakdown by conference

17-5 Pac12: 77.2% WIN PCT
            14-3 v Big 12: 82.3%WIN PCT
            8-2 vs Big East 80% WIN PCT
            6-6 vs Big 10 50% WIN PCT
            5-6 vs ACC 45.4% WIN PCT
            8-3 vs SEC 73.7% WIN PCT

Cheers

Brilliant work, 62; and brilliant results. This should be seriously shared with the SID and even the dummies on the local broadcast. Send to Jackass Dykes as well....And to L's point, these tended to be upper tier P6 teams as well......no Cals or Oregon States or Minnesoters.

Comment

• ZagzKrak
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Apr 2016

That is really cool...I was thinking of trying to do something similar to this. Thought of making a list of the P6 teams and seeing who we have beat so far and who we either have not been able to beat yet/ or have not played yet. Be like a list of who still needs to go down.

Comment

• sittingon50
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Great legwork 62. Thank you!
                But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• sittingon50
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                  Brilliant work, 62; and brilliant results. This should be seriously shared with the SID and even the dummies on the local broadcast. Send to Jackass Dykes as well....And to L's point, these tended to be upper tier P6 teams as well......no Cals or Oregon States or Minnesoters.

Must have missed something Jazz. What's your beef with Jimmy Dykes? Find him to be a knowledgeable analyst & he certainly has given the Zag's plenty of props over the years.

Comment

• GoZags
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                    he certainly has given the Zag's plenty of props over the years.
                    You may have missed the Oregon game.
                    sigpic
                    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                    ——-
                    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                      Must have missed something Jazz. What's your beef with Jimmy Dykes? Find him to be a knowledgeable analyst & he certainly has given the Zag's plenty of props over the years.
                      He he did the Oregon game and he was effusive even obnoxious in his praise of the Ducks particularly the point guard Pritchard. Called him the best point guard in the country which is ridiculous. At one point a few years ago Dykes was a big Gonzaga fan but I don’t sense that he is anymore.

Comment

• Bogozags
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2008

He he did the Oregon game and he was effusive even obnoxious in his praise of the Ducks particularly the point guard Pritchard. Called him the best point guard in the country which is ridiculous. At one point a few years ago Dykes was a big Gonzaga fan but I don’t sense that he is anymore.
                        I think that's because Coach Few won't take him Fly Fishing...

Comment

• BoZarth
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Feb 2007

Thanks 62 for compiling and sharing.

Go Zags!!!!

Comment

• sittingon50
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Yeah, I caught the Oregon game. Guess I didn't get the same vibe you & GZ got.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2013

I think I’m also going to do the 90s and the 00s decades as well guys...It’ll give me something to do and we can see the growth of the program together if that’s fine with y’all. This was fun to do

Edit: I’ll just post them here

15 Straight Round of 32s

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

Comment

Working...
                              X