Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2020 Tyrin Lawrence Offer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    This is legitimately fascinating to me. It’s rare that I’m caught by surprise on an eligibility rule.

I will be following this one, regardless how it plays out. I think the kid has upside to help in the future years even if he were to not be able/ready to play until next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doubt he will see the floor this year, but he is eligible to be on a NCAA team this year. Roger Powell has suited up at many practices this year just keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Doubt he will see the floor this year, but he is eligible to be on a NCAA team this year. Roger Powell has suited up at many practices this year just keep that in mind.
    Has Gary Bell seen the practice floor this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Spink View Post
    Man I hope so...

Am really trying to keep up but Roger Powell isn't a name with whom I am familiar. Who might he be in relation to GU MB?

Asst. Coach; replaced Donny Daniels.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Am really trying to keep up but Roger Powell isn't a name with whom I am familiar. Who might he be in relation to GU MB?
    He is our new assistant coach that took over for Donny.

Quote Originally Posted by Spink View Post
    It's been all hands on deck at practice this year we are super thin!

It's been all hands on deck at practice this year we are super thin!
    Yep Powell is regularly practicing and dunking on people. As Caldwell said, keep this stuff in mind regarding the need for Tyrin.
    Also note our lineups at the end of games where we are winning by 20+. We regularly have a starter or two plus rotation players on floor simply because we need 5 guys on the floor. Ayayi has finished almost every game. It would be nice not to have that injury concern when up 30.....we need depth ASAP.

He is our new assistant coach that took over for Donny.
    Geez, I knew that...silly me thought it was a "new" recruit and was getting excited...lol

Yep. Helps in practice, helps put a body on the floor when we’re up big. Big reasons given unexpected departures of Norvell, and even more so, Ravet. We probably wouldn’t be having this conversation otherwise. Do not set your expectations at a level that will lead to disappointment.
    Last edited by ZagsObserver; 12-29-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Smile This’s fun...

Someone to redshirt with Ballo would be nice. Kind of thought Arlauskas would be that guy — before the implosion of back-court depth. Wow, a possible mid-season addition would be fun. Possible, possible, gotta be patient and see.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Any word on tyrin's official visit this weekend?

Saw him at the game tonight with his mom. Good lookin kid. Seemed to enjoy himself. Was on his phone a lot, of course, but seemed pretty engaged in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by YankMyZAG View Post
    Any word on tyrin's official visit this weekend?
    His visit started Sunday and wraps up today. He was at the game. Hoping to hear something today or tomorrow about how it went.

His visit started Sunday and wraps up today. He was at the game. Hoping to hear something today or tomorrow about how it went.
    I really think this is a kid that is a program type, which you need. I think he's the type of kid that develops his first year or two in the program and then has a role the rest of his time. He's probably more talented that recent guys like Hart/Jones, but that's what I mean by program type kids.

Alright an update. Tyrin was a part of the 2019 plan, not 2020 class. I told you this was complicated. He is a post grad player at a prep school, he could come in and play, but the feel I have is it is not the best fit. His recruitment blew up after our offer. He is an East Coast kid and now that his 2020 recruitment blew up I do not think he will be a Zag. Had he been able and we felt he was a fit he would of been a 2019-2020 Zag. Academics also are hard and our University has high standards. I hope the best for Tyrin but don't think it is at Gonzaga.

Alright an update. Tyrin was a part of the 2019 plan, not 2020 class. I told you this was complicated. He is a post grad player at a prep school, he could come in and play, but the feel I have is it is not the best fit. His recruitment blew up after our offer. He is an East Coast kid and now that his 2020 recruitment blew up I do not think he will be a Zag. Had he been able and we felt he was a fit he would of been a 2019-2020 Zag. Academics also are hard and our University has high standards. I hope the best for Tyrin but don't think it is at Gonzaga.
    Thanks for the update Caldwell as always we appreciate the insight!

Thanks for the update. These things are always multi-faceted. The staff does a great job of navigation.

"Could Tyrin Lawrence be ready to make his college decision so quickly after his “breakout”? That could be the case.

Lawrence, who calls Georgia home, has always been a quality scorer but his inconsistency and inability to create for teammates limited his recruitment to a degree. Plenty of mid-majors kept a close eye on him throughout the years, but things took off once he started a prep year at Sunrise Christian Academy.

Gonzaga jumped in with an offer just a few weeks ago, and programs such as Cal, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt quickly followed suit. Immediately, Lawrence scheduled an official visit to Gonzaga which he took over the weekend. What Gonzaga can offer that has intrigued Lawrence is a mid-year enrollment; he has already received the proper credits and test scores to qualify for college, which means he could be on a college campus in a matter of weeks.

However, he is not Mark Few’s yet. Mark Fox, who developed a good relationship Lawrence dating back to his days at the University of Georgia, has picked things back up him and is expected to visit Cal beginning on Friday.

It would seem that Gonzaga may be the program to beat but Cal might have a bigger need and a background with Lawrence that is measured in years compared to weeks for the Bulldogs. Look for a potential college decision shortly."

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....Hwyh_UH8090EA1

Tyrin Lawrence Commits to Vandy