Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2019 - 20 NET Rankings Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    I dont understand how jazz gets so much negative material to post for the #1 team in the nation--if he worked that hard on researching positive info (or even middle ground info) --this board might have a different feel for readers.

jazz the negative broken record thing gets old ---lets try a new years resolution of 2 positive things written about Zags for every negative thing you post --- maybe get some more traffic back on this site --rather than so many bailing becasue they do not want to read your negative drivel.
    Eh, what he posted is just information. Specifically relative to RPI, which someone lamented GUs position above and his response is simply demonstrating the cause and effect of scheduled opponents ranking in this particular pole.

For all the righteous chest thumping that occurs on this board and with this fan base Jazz is treated among the worst on here and almost entirely because his (typically factually based) opinions differ from the main body and how they view themselves.

How about this for a new year's resolution; instead of demanding another edit the content of their ideas, opinions, or observations to fit your feel good narrative, you either counter with insight of your own or refrain from engaging altogether, yeah?

Or don't. Frankly it doesn't matter to me how you interact, "positively" or "negatively." Either way I find your reaction and subsequent response to Jazz's post far more tiresome than any post he has made. It occurs with great frequency, and is the worst part of this boards atmosphere. That being said, it isn't that big of a deal and I largely just ignore it and browse past. It's pretty easy. Give it a try.

Go, Gonzaga.

You mean like GZ’s perfectly accurate and non-judgmental response regarding the waning influence of RPI, rather than a childish, hair on fire rejoinder.

Reno had a great post --- that shows all the RPIs --both sides of the equation-- not just the negative to fit an agenda-- this is the difference for the majority on this site.

Anyone can post "information" --some types of information is what brings fans back to the board (Zagnative and Caldwellzag) and some is what turns them away--- as we had an entire thread discussing where the fans have gone.

It takes so much effort to point out the negatives when you can spend the same amount of time and effort time pointing out both sides or a positive aspect occasionally.

Enjoy the #1 team in the nation and the journey that we have been through getting here-- it is going to be a fun rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    You mean like GZ’s perfectly accurate and non-judgmental response regarding the waning influence of RPI, rather than a childish, hair on fire rejoinder.
    The RPI reminds me of a Monty Python skit

“ ‘ellooo Polly!”

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqnp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Reno had a great post --- that shows all the RPIs --both sides of the equation-- not just the negative to fit an agenda-- this is the difference for the majority on this site.

Anyone can post "information" --some types of information is what brings fans back to the board (Zagnative and Caldwellzag) and some is what turns them away--- as we had an entire thread discussing where the fans have gone.

It takes so much effort to point out the negatives when you can spend the same amount of time and effort time pointing out both sides or a positive aspect occasionally.

Enjoy the #1 team in the nation and the journey that we have been through getting here-- it is going to be a fun rest of the season.
    Without really getting into it (bc the topic is tired enough), Jazz posts plenty of positive stuff. It usually just gets lost in the noise bc most everyone posts wonderfully positive stuff.

Jazz was one of the first that I saw this year to say Corey Kispert has turned his entire game around to the positive. The entire NC final year he was talking NWG being as good a player as one can see at this level, Sabonis, Olynick, Collins, he can go overboard at times. He's just the guy who does it with tough love, but the love is there and it is obvious. Moreover, he's a pretty good guy personally.

In terms of fans, we're not in the midst of "firsts" anymore in our great build-up to becoming a blue blood, there is some apathy, entitlement, and internet sites of all types are down, Twitter and FB have taken over a lot of things. I still can't believe people think there's too much negativity or bickering on the board, bc I see very little, and it is just human for there to be some friction occasionally, and the mods keep it all under control.

I just don't think it's as huge a problem as some say it is, I really don't.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

i don't think it's a good sign when it seems more threads than not devolve into bickering or a discussion about bickering rather than the topic at hand...

i don't even know why the rpi is still being tracked...the ncaa is not using it anymore so it should be irrelevant.

Once again, here's my annual reminder about the RPI: do not even look at it until mid-February. It means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING until one round of conference play has taken place. Jerry Palm and numerous RPI pundits remind people of this every season, and yet the collective blood pressure of fans rises when their team's RPI rises or falls in December. It means NOTHING right now. NOTHING.

Also, it is worth reminding people of the importance of winning basketball games. Gonzaga played six neutral and road games during the non-con season (Texas A&M, Southern Miss, Oregon, Michigan, Washington, Arizona), with two of those wins coming against ranked opponents in true road arenas. Anyone with a basketball IQ could tell that Michigan was hot as a skillet in the Bahamas, and the Zags were injured and too banged up to legitimately compete in the final. Plus, it was inevitable that GU was going to lose a game at some point, and I am glad it happened to a likely NCAA tourney team. The month of January looks very good for the Zags. As long as they maintain their health, they really have zero business losing to anyone this month. I know BYU has a history of beating GU in Spokane, so there is some worry there, but the Zag's most challenging games in league will take place in February starting with the February 1 visit to USF (which has an impressive record, but who really hasn't played a daunting schedule).

I am very optimistic about GU's ability to attain a top 3 seed come March. If they get a 1 that is great, but the real focus is to make sure they get those first 2 games in Spokane. It is almost a free pass to the sweet 16 in L.A. The committee is likely to place GU in the west region. Anyone who has watched this team realizes they are without question one of the best 8 teams in the country, and probably better. Unlike others, I trust the committee. I don't think they want to mis-seed this team based on this or that ranking. All it does it punish the higher seed, which is blatantly unfair to that team. Not many teams are going to go into UW and U of A and pull out wins.

Default WCC NET Rankings .

At the start of conference play:

TM NET W-L
    GON 6 14-1
    SMC 30 13-2
    BYU 37 11-4
    SCU 87 13-2
    USF 103 11-4
    PAC 152 12-4
    PEP 181 7-7
    USD 209 7-8
    LMU 231 6-8
    POR 262 8-7
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-09-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Just a refresher on the Quadrants since they are seen to be pretty important.

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30; Neutral 1-50; Away 1-75.
    Quadrant 2: Home 31-75; Neutral 51-100; Away 76-135.
    Quadrant 3: Home 76-160; Neutral 101-200; Away 136-240.
    Quadrant 4: Home 161-plus; Neutral 201-plus; Away 241-plus.

Good stuff, Reno! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

TM NET W-L
    GON 6 14-1
    SMC 30 12-2
    BYU 37 10-4
    SCU 87 11-2
    USF 103 10-4
    PAC 152 10-4
    PEP 181 7-7
    USD 209 6-8
    LMU 231 5-8
    POR 262 6-7

How we currently stand

So, as long as there aren't any surprise losses (there will be) in conference. And assuming we run the table.. (sure hope so)

We would end up 6-1 in Quad 1 wins.

Dang, thats disappointing. I would have thought we'd end up with more quad 1 wins considering how well our year has gone. Wouldn't we end up with 7( 3 plus @smc, @ byu, vs smc at home, vs smc or byu in Vegas). It's possible BYU and SCU do well and improve their NET to 30 and 75, giving us the possibility of 9 quad 1 wins, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

TM NET W-L
    GON 6 14-1
    SMC 30 13-2
    BYU 37 11-4
    SCU 87 13-2
    USF 103 11-4
    PAC 152 12-4
    PEP 181 7-7
    USD 209 7-8
    LMU 231 6-8
    POR 262 8-7
    Updated Rankings

The good..

Santa Clara is now nearing to be a Quad 1 Away win.

The Bad
    SMC is no longer a Quad 1 Home win

The Ugly

Portland was NET 231 and Pepperdine 164, hardly teams we should be struggling with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    The good..

Santa Clara is now nearing to be a Quad 1 Away win.

The Bad
    SCU is no longer a Quad 1 Home win

The Ugly

Portland was NET 231 and Pepperdine 164, hardly teams we should be struggling with.
    They are similarly ranked in KenPom. You can say they played good games and were well prepared for the Zags but at the end of the day they are both bad teams. Sure GU walks away with a win but I think we all know there are going to be a couple league losses this year. Let’s just hope this gets cleaned up before March.

Quote Originally Posted by jayray View Post
    They are similarly ranked in KenPom. You can say they played good games and were well prepared for the Zags but at the end of the day they are both bad teams. Sure GU walks away with a win but I think we all know there are going to be a couple league losses this year. Let’s just hope this gets cleaned up before March.
    I like your analysis.

Yes, 2 losses in conference is my expectation. I think one against the top, and one on the road against a middle team bc of FTs and bad play.

It will set us up for a 2 seed or weak 1 seed, if we win our WCC tournament, and then it's all match-ups and how we play. For all the head scratching, it is still one of Few's best coaching years ever … to this point. Please Killian stay healthy, though.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

What are the odds that three wins over lackluster teams could drop the Zags in the polls tomorrow?

zero....the polls are all about not losing.....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    This
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    The season is all about winning, one game at a time. Especially for this very good Gonzaga team. I have never quite understood why there are always Gonzaga fans here on this forum who are always talking about losing. No matter how high we are ranked, and no matter how very very few losses our team has, there are always a number of fans here who are going to focus on Gonzaga losing. I rarely see a post talking about the FACT THAT Gonzaga has only one loss and is ranked #1 in both polls, and in the top 6 in a couple others. It's like some people just can't escape their fears.

I totally accept the fact that there are fans who totally believe Gonzaga will lose a couple of games in conference play. I'm not sure at all what they base their "feelings" are because their feelings, imo, are not based on facts. what are the facts. We only have one loss. We have had two quality Road victories at Arizona AND at UW. We have a quality neutral court victory at a neutral site in the Bahamas against Oregon, who has been ranked in the top 5 at times. I don't think there is a team out there who has the kind of victories on the Road as GU has. I am basing my feelings on these facts. I believe Gonzaga will be a #1 seed in the West. We will win our conference and Conference Tournament. And I will NOT talk about them losing, or the likely hood of them losing. I have always believed that what we focus on often because reality. I've worked hard to try to live this philosophy to my fullest. Many of you think I'm a fool for being so positive, and that I am responsible for creating the concept of seeing reality through Rose colored lens', as well as the concept of "DRINKING THE KOOL-AID. It's okay with me, and I'm glad that I have not changed my beliefs or my positive attitude.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Reborn, we need a resident optimist to offset our resident pessimist!!

Thanks Reborn.

Nice comments. They also seem to forget when the season started they were projecting 3-4 losses by now and 6 by season end. Yes they are “young” in experience together. Yes they do not play solid team defense yet. But they bust their b....s and I am assuming are learning daily from the coaching staff and also how to anticipate their fellow players Movements

I am also of the people that are watching one game at a time and looking for the positives in the team and individual play.

The rankings are all about not losing ...that is a demonstrable fact.....if you don't lose you keep your ranking...as others lose you move up...

It has nothing to do with what you think....nothing to do with what you talk about....nothing to do with your attitude....

Agree that usually you do not drop without a loss, but GU did lose first place votes to Duke this week. And could very likely lose more next week if Duke wins and GU has two more lackluster games. There is a lot of talk nationally about Duke being the best team (suprisingly national pundits think Duke is great) and talk about Kansas as well, even with the two losses. I could see GU falling to #2 if Duke wins out through for the next two weeks and beats Louisville a week from Saturday.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Santa Clara Tumbles to 97 after loss to SF. No longer considered a Quad 1 away win. - Dang

SMC - Rises to 37, only Quad 1 away, Quad 2 at home

BYU - Remains 33, Quad 1 away and Quad 1 home.

That Santa Clara loss is unfortunate.