Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zags vs UW post game discussion

Default Zags vs UW post game discussion

The Husky zone looked almost impenetrable at times but the Zags found ways to get good shots. Kudos to Woolridge for his drives, cuts and dishes, Tille and Petro for the high-low, Kispert for doing a little of everything and Ayayi for the cold-blooded assassin 3 at the end.

My goodness, Isaiah Stewart is very impressive. Dawgs > Ducks this year, IMO.

Not sure why they didn't run more offense through Stewart? Maybe it's as simple as the zag double team that they seemed to want to implement any time he got the ball?

UW drops out of AP rankings after loss to Zags which seems incredibly wrong to me. They are really good.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    UW drops out of AP rankings after loss to Zags which seems incredibly wrong to me. They are really good.
    Kenpom has them at 49. They looked better than that last night. Maybe they're just starting to get it together.

UW didn't play zone the entire game, they mixed it up and I'd bet the split was 50/50. You can see the talent on that team for sure, they just don't play that well together and I think the score was closer than it would be had they not had the Naz kid hit a bunch of 3's down the stretch. They are certainly a Top 25 caliber team though.

I'm just thankful we have a healthy Tillie. Hate to think where we would be without him in these tough games. Now let's get Watson healthy and playing his best ball. Great win last night from the whole team and the coaches.

That UW team is going to win a lot of games this season and I expect to see them back in the rankings before too long.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Not sure why they didn't run more offense through Stewart? Maybe it's as simple as the zag double team that they seemed to want to implement any time he got the ball?

Think the stat I saw (before last night) is that he had 5 Assists in 8 games. Not a lot of offense has been going "through" him.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Stewart put a lot of fouls on guys, made his FTs, caused problems, but Zags battled and got theirs too. Zag pressure caused problems, turnovers, bad shots, it was effective and not just one idea the whole game

UW just might gel into a second weekend and beyond team come tournament time. All of the ingredients are there. I predict they win the PAC-12 regular season title.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    That UW team is going to win a lot of games this season and I expect to see them back in the rankings before too long.
    And they're also going to lose a lot of games to inferior talent due to lack of team play and lackadaisical attitude. Way too much one-on-one stuff, AAU type offense. They are REALLY long on defense, Stewart is the real deal. Green has improved a lot over the last few games. Not sold yet on the Federal Way kid, way too much "me" time on the offensive end, big screen watching while going back on defense. Woolie went right by him last night as he was watching himself on the big screen...........talent is there for sure, as is youth.

Hopkins is definitely the right guy at UW, IMHO. Really like his overall approach, just needs time and games like last night to get the guys to buy in. Really glad the series has been renewed, may even become a rivalry at some point in the future (13 out of 14 and counting).

Go ZAGS

Two plays that stood out to me.

Late in the game Tillie, after several brilliant decisions, tossed the ball to Petrusev from high to low. He overthrew it barely. At the ensuing timeout he sought out Filip to let him know that it was a bad pass and put the blame on himself. You could tell Tillie was angry at himself for either not putting the ball exactly where he wanted it or for making the decision to throw it in the first place. That spells leader.

The other play showed me Tillie is saying "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead." He drove the lane right at Washington's big guys crashing into them with bad intent. I jumped out of my chair and yelled, "Tillie's back". That play right there may define the season.

On neither play did the Zags score. But, that's what I saw. And I liked it.

what I liked most about our team last night was their composure, with maintained confidence, consistently, in a close game. The lack of this is understandable every March, because our opponents in the Dance are usually from a P5 Conference and have played grinders all February, while we may have a couple in February. We showed this against Oregon too, so I don't think it was spurious. Let's keep that trait through the games with AZ and NC

UW lacks discipline …...that is not easy to coach......they will win when they are hot......lose when they are not..... if he can get them to play for the team he will get another Coach of the Year Award...I am skeptical ….

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post

My goodness, Isaiah Stewart is very impressive. Dawgs > Ducks this year, IMO.
    Agree UW impressive, yet wait til Oregon returns Dante next game.

6'11", 7'6" wingspan, super athletic, & future Top 5 pick.

ineligible first 9 games.

Watching Oregon vs UNC, us, et al, their one missing piece is a true center, they have no height in middle.

Both will.be high quality wins by season's end.

UW Oregon and Zona will be 1, 2, 3 in Pac 12

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Two plays that stood out to me.

Late in the game Tillie, after several brilliant decisions, tossed the ball to Petrusev from high to low. He overthrew it barely. At the ensuing timeout he sought out Filip to let him know that it was a bad pass and put the blame on himself. You could tell Tillie was angry at himself for either not putting the ball exactly where he wanted it or for making the decision to throw it in the first place. That spells leader.

The other play showed me Tillie is saying "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead." He drove the lane right at Washington's big guys crashing into them with bad intent. I jumped out of my chair and yelled, "Tillie's back". That play right there may define the season.

On neither play did the Zags score. But, that's what I saw. And I liked it.
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    UW lacks discipline …...that is not easy to coach......they will win when they are hot......lose when they are not..... if he can get them to play for the team he will get another Coach of the Year Award...I am skeptical ….
    Agree with this and what TacomaZAG said - I think the Huskies will be one of those teams that will win some games they shouldn't, but lose some games against inferior opponents. That being said, I was impressed with the Zags ability to keep the lead and answer back every time the Huskies pulled close. Good sign.

Gotta feeling the top 25 will be pretty fluid this season.

I was impressed with the composure of the Zags. They’re getting better at teamwork.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

I just can't get over that three pointer from Ayayi at the end of the game.

Didn't hesitate, such confidence
    Looked like a veteran
    Did it in a hostile road environment
    Against the basketball team I dislike more than any other in the nation

Damn I'm proud of that kid.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post

Looked like a veteran

No doubt! Also, that no look pass in the first few minutes of the game that he threw to Woolridge when it looked like he was throwing it to the wing was ridiculous. He has been special. He’s smooth like George “The Iceman” Gervin

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    uw has talent but several things stand in their way

- no bench
    - youth/poor decision making = poor shot selection + turnovers
    - not enough ball handling = they may not be able to solve turnover issues (q.green is only true guard and ballhandler - rest are wing athletes)

Does anyone know if a replay is available? I was at the game and would like to relive it.

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    Stewart put a lot of fouls on guys, made his FTs, caused problems, but Zags battled and got theirs too. Zag pressure caused problems, turnovers, bad shots, it was effective and not just one idea the whole game
    Reminded me of Sacre in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post

Looked like a veteran

Ayayi just has this never hurried cool confidence about him. He plays like he knows things about the game nobody else on the court or in the stadium knows.

That shot was bold and beautiful!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

zagrad, It is not a full replay, but the second post on " Post-Washington Media" thread, shows pretty much all of the scoring during the game. I thought it did a great job.